PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! not playing nice

jeremy.king
Jul 7, 2004, 11:02 AM
So I received a invitation to get a gmail account from a fellow MR member and found that Yahoo! files the gmail invitations into your bulk mail folder. For those who don't review the bulk mail folder (like me) who think they may have received an invitation, check your bulk mail! Usually the from field is the person who invited you and the subject is "<Your Name>, <Referrer Name> has invited you to open a Google mail account"

How shady is that? Its one thing to try to compete by offering more storage, but to flag gmail invites as spam seems unfair to me.

jsw
Jul 7, 2004, 11:04 AM
Seems very shady indeed. I'd read that they were just deleting them without notifying the sended (i.e., not blocking, just deleting). I suppose that putting them into bulk mail is very slightly less slimy.

Clearly, this is an intentional act.

G4scott
Jul 7, 2004, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure how the yahoo! bulk mail thing works, but I think it might actually think the gmail invitation is spam... Invitations like that are rarely anything good...

solvs
Jul 7, 2004, 03:15 PM
Hotmail is doing the same thing. I think it's just the spam blocker.

jeremy.king
Jul 7, 2004, 03:29 PM
I would buy that argument, but other emails from the same person are not being flagged as spam. So either they have started flagging by subject line, or its intentional. I'll give Yahoo the benefit of the doubt, its intentional.

However, you can't blame them, but it is sketchy. Similarly, I would take issue if my ISP starting blocking emails I might get from AOL ,Earthlink, or SBC about better broadband alternatives just so I don't switch or if the post office started deciding what flyers/ads I should get in the mail. Yeah yeah, extreme examples, but where do you draw the line?

It reminds of "way" back when Microsoft intentionally made Netscape Navigator appear to run slower in Windows just to get people to use IE. :eek:

jeremy.king
Jul 7, 2004, 03:33 PM
Found this good read on the same subject...

http://www.thetalentshow.org/archives/001040.html