Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClemTiger0408

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Random question, I have Uverse internet. The modem is also a WAP. Would it be possible to use an Apple Airport to receive the signal from the Uverse box wirelessly AND transmit a wireless network simultaneously?

The Uverse box is placed in such a way that connecting it to the AirPort via ethernet is impossible.

Is there any way this can be done?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Random question, I have Uverse internet. The modem is also a WAP. Would it be possible to use an Apple Airport to receive the signal from the Uverse box wirelessly AND transmit a wireless network simultaneously?

The Uverse box is placed in such a way that connecting it to the AirPort via ethernet is impossible.

Is there any way this can be done?

I am not sure if you can extend the uVerse wireless network with your Airport. I know the Airport can extend another Airport's signals, but I'm not sure about non-apple gear. You might want to just try it and see if you can get it to work.

If you are going to access the airport wirelessly from your computer, it is going to be slow, since everything will have to go wirelessly to the airport, and then wirelessly to the uVerse box before going to to the internet.

It's too bad you can't get an ethernet cable to connect the Airport to the uVerse box. That is what I did with mine, because I didn't want to use the uVerse wireless, and I wanted to keep using my Airport...

ClemTiger0408

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I am not sure if you can extend the uVerse wireless network with your Airport. I know the Airport can extend another Airport's signals, but I'm not sure about non-apple gear. You might want to just try it and see if you can get it to work.

If you are going to access the airport wirelessly from your computer, it is going to be slow, since everything will have to go wirelessly to the airport, and then wirelessly to the uVerse box before going to to the internet.

It's too bad you can't get an ethernet cable to connect the Airport to the uVerse box. That is what I did with mine, because I didn't want to use the uVerse wireless, and I wanted to keep using my Airport...

How slow are we talking here?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Don't know for sure, but I thought the throughput dropped in half.

Think of it this way - if it takes 10 seconds to load a web page over your existing wireless connection, it could take up to 20 seconds now, because it will take 10 seconds to get from the uVerse to the Airport, and another 10 seconds to get from the Airport to your computer.

This is an oversimplification because your web page could have overlapping data transfers.

I closest thing I can relate this too, is that I used to have my Apple TV and my Mac both connected wirelessly to my Airport Extreme. Data transfers from my Mac to my Apple TV were slow, because they had to make two "hops" - one to the Airport and a second one to the Apple TV. Moving the Apple TV to a wired connection sped things up dramatically.

Are you SURE there is no way to snake an ethernet cable to your uVerse box?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.