Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DigiTimes reports that the flash memory market is currently experiencing shortages, as manufacturers have been dedicating increased amounts of their capacity to Apple. The company has been purchasing considerable amounts of NAND flash for its new iPod touch models with capacities up to 64 GB and to prepare for the launch of the iPhone in China later this year.
Samsung Electronics has informed Taiwan module makers that it will halve its NAND flash supply to them in September, and Micron Technology has also told some of its downstream customers that no NAND flash chips are available, claimed the sources. Toshiba and Hynix Semiconductor are also giving priority to Apple, and are offering limited supply to the spot market, the sources added.

Article Link: New iPod Touch Models and Chinese iPhone Launch Constrain Worldwide Flash Memory Supplies

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm wondering what kind of hardball Apple is playing with suppliers. "Either make us top-priority on NAND shipments, or we drop you entirely. You can't afford to lose our business."

Alan / Falcon

macrumors newbie
I'm wondering what kind of hardball Apple is playing with suppliers. "Either make us top-priority on NAND shipments, or we drop you entirely. You can't afford to lose our business."

The problem with quick blog posts like this is that there is no room for context.

In fact, apple has pre-paid in excess of a billion dollars to NAND flash memory suppliers, which if you know anything about business is hugely beneficial to the cash flow of those suppliers, many of whom run on razor thin margins. When you earn minimum wage, you'd rather not wonder if your employer will give you your paycheck on Friday as promised -- Apple eliminated that risk.

An article for further reading: http://www.iphonestalk.com/gone-in-a-flash-apple-pays-for-large-amounts-of-flash-memory-5579/

Google will also provide additional context, if you're interested.

To summarize, this is a case of Apple leveraging their amazing cash position by offering a carrot to suppliers rather than threatening them with the stick.

Alan :apple: Falcon

Rocketman

macrumors 603
In fact, apple has pre-paid in excess of a billion dollars to NAND flash memory suppliers, which if you know anything about business is hugely beneficial to the cash flow of those suppliers, many of whom run on razor thin margins. When you earn minimum wage, you'd rather not wonder if your employer will give you your paycheck on Friday as promised -- Apple eliminated that risk.

An article for further reading: http://www.iphonestalk.com/gone-in-a-flash-apple-pays-for-large-amounts-of-flash-memory-5579/

Google will also provide additional context, if you're interested.

To summarize, this is a case of Apple leveraging their amazing cash position by offering a carrot to suppliers rather than threatening them with the stick.

Alan :apple: Falcon

Exactly. The $1B is just this season. They have done that or a significant fraction for the past few years as well. So those suppliers love this customer. :)

The massive ramp of Chinese iPhones may have to focus on 4 and 8 gig capacities to not only fit in the lower price model there but also to simply meet unit demand. Not many people really need more than 8 gig on their iPhone if they synch it more than twice a week.

Apple may need to go to wireless syncing as a user option as well.

Rocketman

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Tomato/tomato. :) The difference between the two is a matter of perspective. What you wrote is consistent with my point, Apple is in a position to demand being at the front of the queue, and I wondered to what extent they do.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Only one thing to disagree with here.

...... Not many people really need more than 8 gig on their iPhone if they synch it more than twice a week.

Apple may need to go to wireless syncing as a user option as well.

Rocketman

For anybody that has owned an iPhone or Touch for awhile they will have learned that 8GB is not enough. Not even close if you are intent on using more than a few apps or some of the GPS software out there.

Oh I really don't know what syncing has to do with it. Normally syncing causes a loss of flash space.

Dave

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Wonder it has just been explained to you.

....What you wrote is consistent with my point, Apple is in a position to demand being at the front of the queue, and I wondered to what extent they do.

Wonder, do you not keep track of the news or what people have written here? Apple pays up front with CASH some quarters a half Billion dollars at a time. If you don't understand that such payments secure your supplies then you don't understand business.

Think of it this way you walk into a luxury car dealer with a suitcase full of cash, would you not expect awfully good service if you announced your intention to spend that money in the establishment.

Dave

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Wonder, do you not keep track of the news or what people have written here? Apple pays up front with CASH some quarters a half Billion dollars at a time. If you don't understand that such payments secure your supplies then you don't understand business.

Think of it this way you walk into a luxury car dealer with a suitcase full of cash, would you not expect awfully good service if you announced your intention to spend that money in the establishment.

Apple is getting VERY good service if other customers' shipments are being halved in order to fulfil Apple's orders. :)

As I stated in my first post, they can't afford to lose Apple's business. The only question for me is, did they voluntarily cut back supply to other customers; or did Apple pressure them to do so.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Apple is getting VERY good service if other customers' shipments are being halved in order to fulfil Apple's orders. :)

As I stated in my first post, they can't afford to lose Apple's business. The only question for me is, did they voluntarily cut back supply to other customers; or did Apple pressure them to do so.
You are still not reading what other people are writing. Apple did not need to pressure them into doing anything. After the supplier entered into a contract for a specified delivery schedule and accepted prepayment for the contract, they were obligated to fulfill the agreement by whatever means necessary. It was up to the supplier to figure out how to meet the capacity required by Apple.

This is how business works. When you prepay a supplier, you get priority.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004

Um... I think that would be backwards. Obviously, they can completely afford to lose Apple's business.

Apple is paying more to get delivery. The free market at work! Huzzah, we're saveD!

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
I think that this is HILARIOUS!!! Apple, a lone computer company is lowering the WHOLE ENTIRE WORLDS flash memory.

Rocketman

macrumors 603

Some of the articles I have read in industry magazines indicate the Apple advance purchases have substantially INCREASED overall supplies of NAND, and particularly that of larger sizes. Further it slightly shifts delivery of larger sizes forward a bit to dates earlier than originally planned. My understanding in simple terms is the "early access and guaranteed minimums" aspect of the contract is in exchange for a non-recurring R&D fee that is between 5-10% of the entire contract. On the back end they get favorable credit terms on items actually delivered. So they pay after they get it. The $500 million is a letter of credit and the R&D fee is fronted.

That is the impression I get. They have done this with 3 suppliers I know of and suspect a similar but smaller scale arrangement exists with 2 others.

The problem that causes the shortages is sales exceeding world industry capacity AFTER the R&D investment, and advances of Billions of dollars of letters of credit, translating to physical payments on delivery.

You crazy people actually think you NEED a 16gb iPhone and a 32gb iPod Touch! You maniacs! :D

You are pissing off the other 15-20% of the market who only buy NAND as they need it when producing units and are not in a position to advance millions and billions of dollars. Stop annoying them. Buy Zunes!

Rocketman

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You are still not reading what other people are writing. Apple did not need to pressure them into doing anything. After the supplier entered into a contract for a specified delivery schedule and accepted prepayment for the contract, they were obligated to fulfill the agreement by whatever means necessary. It was up to the supplier to figure out how to meet the capacity required by Apple.

This is how business works. When you prepay a supplier, you get priority.

On the contrary, I've read every message.

But what I don't know - and no post here has stated - are the terms of Apple's contract with chip suppliers. I presumed a schedule of delivery is involved, but how long is it for, and how many chips? Are the chip companies on schedule? Is the contract fixed, or are there options for more/less? Has Apple order more chips above and beyond that schedule, to keep up with its increasing demand? Has any other company made a similar prepayment? If so, what happens if the chip manufacturer can't meet both demands? Etc..etc..

Um... I think that would be backwards. Obviously, they can completely afford to lose Apple's business.

Ha! Good point! :)

Though I think chip shortages/gluts are a short-term phenomenon. Given Apple's massive market share (in music players and smartphones), and their steady, long-term demand, no company would want to lose their business.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Some of the articles I have read in industry magazines indicate the Apple advance purchases have substantially INCREASED overall supplies of NAND, and particularly that of larger sizes. Further it slightly shifts delivery of larger sizes forward a bit to dates earlier than originally planned. My understanding in simple terms is the "early access and guaranteed minimums" aspect of the contract is in exchange for a non-recurring R&D fee that is between 5-10% of the entire contract. On the back end they get favorable credit terms on items actually delivered. So they pay after they get it. The $500B is a letter of credit and the R&D fee is fronted.

Very interesting, thanks!

You are pissing off the other 15-20% of the market who only buy NAND as they need it when producing units and are not in a position to advance millions and billions of dollars. Stop annoying them. Buy Zunes!

That's it, I'm going back to my 15GB hard disk iPod. One giant leap for a man, one tiny step for the economy! :D

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
If so, what happens if the chip manufacturer can't meet both demands? Etc..etc..
Lawyers would get paid.

...and their steady, long-term demand, no company would want to lose their business.

Except Apple is fickle, and even in a commodity business, it isn't good to let one customer become your ONLY customer.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
there is a typo

will halve???

or is it HAVE????????

Confession: I'm a linguist. Final-consonant voicing (in this case, /f/ to /v/) is a phonogical method sometimes used in English to derive a verb from a noun (house -> house, grief -> grieve, etc.). Anyway...

"Have" makes this story quite uninteresting ("it's September, here's your shipment"), where as "halve" is what makes it news: "sorry, we can only give you 50% of what we used to because of Apple".

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
England

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
A little suprising given the number of knock off iphones comming out of china! Suspect that it's the legitimate sources for memory that are drying up. However, Apple must being doing a stonking trade in ipods for that to happen. Am I missing something here though? Haven't heard of a 64 gig ipod touch yet! Could be a pre-christmas launch??

There's a link to the release of the new iPod Touchs (it isn't Touches or Touch's) IN THE ORIGNAL POST!

Definitely basic comprehension fail.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
A little suprising given the number of knock off iphones comming out of china! Suspect that it's the legitimate sources for memory that are drying up. However, Apple must being doing a stonking trade in ipods for that to happen. Am I missing something here though? Haven't heard of a 64 gig ipod touch yet! Could be a pre-christmas launch??

LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.