Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClemTiger0408

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I am trying to figure out if it is possible to set up my optimal entertainment viewing experience.

This is what I want to accomplish:

Have a network Hard Drive that I can easily drag music and video files into from my Macbook Pro and be able to stream these to my Xbox 360 or Apple TV (if I choose to purchase one).

What I currently own:
Macbook Pro
Dlink DIR-655 Router (not in use)
External Hard Drive
AT&T Uverse Internet (with modem/wireless router)
Xbox 360

Consider Purchasing:

Apple TV
Airport Base Station Extreme

Currently, I stream media from my Macbook Pro to the Xbox using proprietary software. The limitations are the limited space of my Macbook Pro's hard drive and the Xbox's inability to play certain file types.

Problem:
The Uverse internet modem is also a wireless access point. The installers mounted it to a wall in my laundry room, so I am pretty much unable to connect anything directly to it. Is there a way that I can have a router somewhere else in my house that only serves the purpose of wirelessly connecting a hard drive to the network?

I am a huge fan of streaming media both online (Netflix, for example) and from local files. I am also a fan of "set it and forget it". Obviously there are work arounds for what I want to do here, but I'd really love to get a full network just buzzing with all my desires.

What do you think? Can any of this be accomplished? Is the Apple TV worth owning (with Boxee) if I own an Xbox 360?

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
I would consider the Mac Mini as the solution to your problems.

• Use it (with Plex) as an HTPC on your TV of choice, a media server to your MacBook Pro (Plex again) and a converter of files into whatever proprietary format your Xbox 360 requires (using Handbrake).
  • When you have filled the Mini's drive (which probably won't take long depending on whether you upgrade it or not) - add an external HDD or Drobo to augment your media storage and facilitate backups.
  • Connect your router to the AT&T modem in bridge mode and make sure all of the devices that access the router are running in N-only mode. You'll be able to backup over the network/transfer files (albeit somewhat slowly)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.