Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Hi

So I have bought my domain name and web space. I have tried setting up wordpress after being told it sounds like the best thing for me. It is, only my issue is that I can't manage to successfully edit the theme how I wish to.

So what is a good alternative to Wordpress that will let me edit the site more easily with a visual editor? I am no pro with coding/programming so I am far more suited to visual editing.

I have the website how I want it to look in Dreamweaver, however I can't get the database stuff setup which is why I need to use something like wordpress to give me a kick start.

I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Dumb question: why? ;^)

I'm not sure I understand your question. WordPress is for blog sites
(typically), but you mention you have a domain name and something
already done in Dreamweaver that you want to have WordPress look like?

My experience is that WordPress is fine for what it is: a tool to manage
blog posts. You can change its look, and you can add photos and such
to a post, as well as off-page links.

I've been working on some stuff for a realtor, and have a web site (with its
own unique URL) and a WordPress site (with a different URL that reflects
the name of the blog). The two link to each other, and depending on his
marketing, you'll go to either the blog or the website.

So maybe my question to you is: what are you trying to accomplish? Are
you looking to make the WordPress site your main web site? If so, as you've
discovered, it's not the same as a full-fledged web host site, so you can't do
all that you want.

Hope this helps . . .

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Sorry, thanks for the reply, but I probably didn't make myself very clear.

What I want is the following:

A website which has the functions of Wordpress, like a blog, but have it look like the website I originally designed in Dreamweaver.

I do have my own domain name and web space, and I have managed to install Wordpress on my web space.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You learn it or pay someone to do it.

Currently looking for a freelance person in my area to mod my site.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Just go to menu apperance-> theme -> add new theme -> put some word in search area -> activate this theme..

There is nothing difficult.

Oh yes I know all about this don't worry. However I want to customise my theme so no one else has it, which is my issue.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
If you're really having trouble, you'll need to hire someone to build you a theme, or help you build it at least.

There are more than a few designers/developers here who you could ask (myself included).

/Doug

To the powers that be:
Does saying that break any rules? if so, feel free to delete!

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
If you open up the themes folder on your hosting site you can manipulate the CSS there. You can upload jpegs to the images folder of any wordpress theme and change the look of the template easily enough.

memco

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
One option is to just pull in your blog posts via RSS using something like Magpie RSS. In this case, just include Magpie on the pages where you want blogs, pull in as many posts as you want and format as needed. This is done a lot of places. Applegeeks does it and I use it on one of my sites (I chose to display only a portion of an entry, but you can display your entire blog using this).

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Hey man,

WordPress is very modifiable. I have built whole websites (not just blogs, but full-featured websites with dynamic and static content) using a WordPress back-end. I have found the custom fields to be especially useful. BUT you have your work cut out for you as there is plenty to learn. It has been worth it to me—ymmv...

You should probably look around at the WordPress Codex. There is a lot of very thorough documentation there. The forums are also pretty active and a lot of helpful folks frequent them. You may have better luck if you read up on what you can accomplish with WordPress, and then post back here with a more specific question.

That said, as someone mentioned, you can access your theme's stylesheet by navigating to wp-content/themes/yourtheme/style.css. Replace yourtheme with...your theme...Kubrick is the default I think. Also, as someone else mentioned, if you are just incorporating a blog into a site that contains static content, it might be a good idea to create a wordpress blog and then link to it from the site that you created in DW.

Anyway, someone can correct me if I am wrong here, but I don't think you are going to be able to use a WYSIWYG editor here—you are probably going to have to delve into some code.

Apologies for not really answering your original question, but I do like working with WordPress so it may be worth it to stick it out and really learn what it can do. If you decide to stick with WordPress, take the time to go through this guy's tutorial. It is a good crash course in the way WordPress on organized. It may be a bit outdated now, but I think the vast majority still applies.

Good luck to you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.