PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G and iPod Touch Gain Video Trimming Capabilities in iPhone OS 3.1

MacRumors
Sep 14, 2009, 10:47 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/14/iphone-3g-and-ipod-touch-gain-video-trimming-capabilities-in-iphone-os-3-1/)

Gioga23 notes (http://www.gioga23.com/2009/09/13/esclusiva-video-editing-su-ipod-touch-senza-jailbreak/) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.gioga23.com/2009/09/13/esclusiva-video-editing-su-ipod-touch-senza-jailbreak/&hl=en&langpair=auto|en)] that the iPhone 3G and iPod touch, despite not having built-in video cameras, are able to utilizing the iPhone 3GS video trimming feature when running iPhone OS 3.1.

E-mailed videos can be saved to the user's Photos application, where they can then be opened, trimmed, and saved as edited copies (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/01/iphone-os-3-1-features-non-destructive-video-editing-voice-control-over-bluetooth-and-more/). While the feature's utility is somewhat limited due to the devices' inability to shoot video, it could see some usefulness for users who receive a video clip while on the go and would like to pass a shortened version of it along to others.

Article Link: iPhone 3G and iPod Touch Gain Video Trimming Capabilities in iPhone OS 3.1 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/14/iphone-3g-and-ipod-touch-gain-video-trimming-capabilities-in-iphone-os-3-1/)

ViViDboarder
Sep 14, 2009, 11:17 AM
Anyone know if this works with videos recorded by Cycorder? I have PPVideo Enabler so I have a have my Cycorder recordings Symbolically linked to my camera folder. So I am curious if it'll pick these up... I'll have to wait to upgrade to 3.1 jailbreak to test.

But... if you had PPVideo Enabler and had recorded videos in Cycorder and then UPGRADED to 3.1, the videos should still be on your phone. So they still may show up. Big IF though. :D

mikeinternet
Sep 14, 2009, 11:20 AM
This is working on my 1st gen. as well!!

equinox
Sep 14, 2009, 11:32 AM
Anyone know if this works with videos recorded by Cycorder? I have PPVideo Enabler so I have a have my Cycorder recordings Symbolically linked to my camera folder. So I am curious if it'll pick these up... I'll have to wait to upgrade to 3.1 jailbreak to test.

But... if you had PPVideo Enabler and had recorded videos in Cycorder and then UPGRADED to 3.1, the videos should still be on your phone. So they still may show up. Big IF though. :D

I can confirm that previous cycorder videos that were moved with ppvideoenabler do show up!! Which is great news - However videos which are blacked in the apple100 folder manually (using disk aid) do not show, even when theyre in mov or mp4 format. The user in this video must also have the mail attatchment hack left over from his jailbreak becuse its not possible to saved videos that have been emailed!!

iphones4evry1
Sep 14, 2009, 11:43 AM
But without the faster processor speed and added RAM of the 3GS, won't this be extremely slow and take "forever" on the old iPhone?

ViViDboarder
Sep 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
I can confirm that previous cycorder videos that were moved with ppvideoenabler do show up!! Which is great news - However videos which are blacked in the apple100 folder manually (using disk aid) do not show, even when theyre in mov or mp4 format. The user in this video must also have the mail attatchment hack left over from his jailbreak becuse its not possible to saved videos that have been emailed!!

Great news for Cycorder users!! :D But they apparently added in 3.1 the ability to save videos from emails. I haven't upgraded yet to try it but I thought it was listed as a feature and the reason why this is enabled now for 3G.

equinox
Sep 14, 2009, 11:59 AM
Great news for Cycorder users!! :D But they apparently added in 3.1 the ability to save videos from emails. I haven't upgraded yet to try it but I thought it was listed as a feature and the reason why this is enabled now for 3G.

I've tried saving videos from emails recorded with cycorder and had no luck... Maybe thats only a feature of the Touch with 3.1.1... Would be a shame if it is. One thing to note is that touch was previously jailbroken because it still has the numeric battery icons...

mikeinternet
Sep 14, 2009, 12:04 PM
But without the faster processor speed and added RAM of the 3GS, won't this be extremely slow and take "forever" on the old iPhone?

Takes only a few seconds to trim the beginning and end of a 13 sec clip down to 9 seconds on my 1st Gen.

You do get a progress bar that I didn't notice on the 3Gs demos I've seen.

Cask
Sep 14, 2009, 12:10 PM
Takes only a few seconds to trim the beginning and end of a 13 sec clip down to 9 seconds on my 1st Gen.

You do get a progress bar that I didn't notice on the 3Gs demos I've seen.

3GS on 3.1 has a progress bar too. I don't remember if it is new or was there since 3.0, but is there.

eastercat
Sep 14, 2009, 01:53 PM
Still not worth it to upgrade to 3.1. Next.

MacMan86
Sep 14, 2009, 02:03 PM

You're holding off on a free upgrade? Why?

ViViDboarder
Sep 14, 2009, 02:03 PM

Are there reasons not to? If you're jailbroken then I see the reason to wait but I don't get why you wouldn't upgrade otherwise. Oh well.

Habakuk
Sep 14, 2009, 02:08 PM
It works. I loaded a 25 s clip on my MBP into new QuickTime, "saved as..." iPhone format (*.3gp) and sent it to myself via mail. On my iPhone I did as described on the Italian site (saved again in mail, opened in camera roll). Then I did trimming and saving as a new, separate file.

Attached screenshots:

#1 Trimming video on iPhone 3G, OS 3.1, with blue progress bar.

#2 Video clip thumbnails in camera roll (the last thumbnail is the screenshot #1)

equinox
Sep 14, 2009, 02:53 PM
It works. I loaded a 25 s clip on my MBP into new QuickTime, "saved as..." iPhone format (*.3gp) and sent it to myself via mail. On my iPhone I did as described on the Italian site (saved again in mail, opened in camera roll). Then I did trimming and saving as a new, separate file.

Very nice, didn't realise they had to be in 3gp to be saved in mail.app. m4v's also works too... This being said, if the iPhone supports other video formats why can't you save them.. :confused:

EDIT also I've had mixed luck with m4v files - some that people have emailed me have worked and others can't be saved

LimeiBook86
Sep 14, 2009, 02:58 PM
This works great for me. I opened a 10mb video file in QuickTime Player version 10 (OS X 10.6) and went to the 'Share' menu, then selected 'iTunes'. After that I just selected iPhone & iPod and clicked Share for it to re-size the video. I then emailed the video file to myself, it is now a .M4V file.

The resulting 10 second video file was only 500kb, I was able to save it in Mail on my iPhone 3G and edit the video also. It trimmed the video very quickly and worked flawlessly. Of course this is just a tiny file, but it worked fine. :D

ViViDboarder
Sep 14, 2009, 02:59 PM
Very nice, didn't realise they had to be in 3gp to be saved in mail.app. m4v's also works too... This being said, if the iPhone supports other video formats why can't you save them.. :confused:

EDIT also I've had mixed luck with m4v files - some that people have emailed me have worked and others can't be saved

It must be because of editing support. You can definitely view more than that but my guess is only files encoded with the same encoder as the iPhone 3Gs video camera will be able to be saved to the Camera Roll.

This is likely because of the editing ability. Otherwise you'd just be able to view the files there and they decided to keep it simple and leave that out.

appleguru1
Sep 14, 2009, 04:35 PM
You're holding off on a free upgrade? Why?

tethering + at&t

ViViDboarder
Sep 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
tethering + at&t

Good call. If you jailbreak PDANet still works. Haha... BUT... Can't jailbreak 3.1 yet. :)

jayducharme
Sep 14, 2009, 07:34 PM
This is a neat feature, and I'm glad it's included for all of us non-3Gs users. But why does a video have to be saved to the camera roll? That doesn't make any sense, lumping videos in with photos. It shouldn't be that difficult to allow videos to be edited from within the video section.

Habakuk
Sep 15, 2009, 01:43 AM
Interesting: As you can see in my second iPhone screenshot (in my previous posting (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8482185&postcount=13)) with the thumbnails, I have two video files in my camera roll after trimming: The original one (sent by mail) and the trimmed one. (You can choose if you want to save the original one when you hit the virtual and yellow "Trim" button on your iPhone screen.)

When I sync the iPhone next time to USB/Mac/iPhoto it will only show up the trimmed one there ready for a download to my Mac (what works well too with image and sound btw).

oneals2focus
Sep 15, 2009, 03:37 AM
Is there any way for 3G users to upload these saved video's to youtube from the phone?

johnnyjibbs
Sep 15, 2009, 04:02 AM
Good to know Apple still bringing features to the older iPhones, touches. I doubt I'll use this much but it's a nice feature to have if I do occasionally need it.

Now, come on Apple, let's have voice control on our iPhone 3Gs :D

equinox
Sep 15, 2009, 05:41 AM
Is there any way for 3G users to upload these saved video's to youtube from the phone?

I thought pixelpipe would be able to see the videos but evidently not... Perhaps once jailbreaks are sorted ppvideoenabler will enable this to happen...

Also you can email clips to your youtube account to be uploaded - If you go into mobile settings in account management it will give you a unique email address to upload to your account. Just hold to copy the video from the camera roll and paste it into mail.app.

ViViDboarder
Sep 15, 2009, 06:52 AM
I thought pixelpipe would be able to see the videos but evidently not... Perhaps once jailbreaks are sorted ppvideoenabler will enable this to happen...

Also you can email clips to your youtube account to be uploaded - If you go into mobile settings in account management it will give you a unique email address to upload to your account. Just hold to copy the video from the camera roll and paste it into mail.app.

That's weird... I guess we'll find out when we get JB for 3.1 but I know PPVideoenabler only creates a symb link from your camera folder to the Cycorder folder... So this would mean that it should pick up anything in the camera folder by default.

Max E Verde
Sep 15, 2009, 10:04 AM

Just emailed a video taken on my iPhone 3GS to myself, opened it on my iPod touch 2G, and I cannot upload it to YouTube. There is also no option to email the movie, even after trimming and saving as new, unless I copy and paste the movie into a compose message.

ViViDboarder
Sep 15, 2009, 10:09 AM
Just emailed a video taken on my iPhone 3GS to myself, opened it on my iPod touch 2G, and I cannot upload it to YouTube. There is also no option to email the movie, even after trimming and saving as new, unless I copy and paste the movie into a compose message.

You try with PixelPipe?

equinox
Sep 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
You try with PixelPipe?

Pixelpipe...

My camera roll...
http://localhostr.com/files/da9ab0/photo.jpg

And PP
http://localhostr.com/files/6611c4/photo 2.jpg

Interested to see wether saving from email attatchments actually places the file in the camera roll, or just a link to it - Don't hve disk aid on here at the moment so will check later

ViViDboarder
Sep 15, 2009, 11:00 AM
Pixelpipe...

My camera roll...
http://localhostr.com/files/da9ab0/photo.jpg

And PP
http://localhostr.com/files/6611c4/photo 2.jpg

Interested to see wether saving from email attatchments actually places the file in the camera roll, or just a link to it - Don't hve disk aid on here at the moment so will check later

Well, PPVideoEnabler for the 3G lets you upload videos from Cycorder from a Symbolic Link... So I'd think it'd work either way. I'm sure we'll find a way. :D As soon as I get to 3.1 I'll have to figure something out.

oneals2focus
Sep 16, 2009, 02:06 AM

Thanks for the info. :cool:

ViViDboarder
Sep 17, 2009, 10:23 AM
So I now have 3.1 Jailbroken...

I have installed Cycorder and PPVideoEnabler.

After recording a video in Cycorder I CAN see the video in PixelPipe to upload to Youtube, but I can NOT see them in my Camera Roll!!!

Can anyone confirm it still works if they record new videos with Cycorder? And if so, do you go to the Camera and then to the Roll or do you go to Photos and then Camera Roll?

equinox
Sep 17, 2009, 11:43 AM
So I now have 3.1 Jailbroken...

I have installed Cycorder and PPVideoEnabler.

After recording a video in Cycorder I CAN see the video in PixelPipe to upload to Youtube, but I can NOT see them in my Camera Roll!!!

Can anyone confirm it still works if they record new videos with Cycorder? And if so, do you go to the Camera and then to the Roll or do you go to Photos and then Camera Roll?

Have you had any luck with Videorecorder? That can encode to mp4 which might play a little bit nicer...
Also
http://getsatisfaction.com/pixelpipe/topics/why_wont_pixelpipe_show_my_cycorder_videos Theres commands there to change default folders for cycorder... I'm not terminal savvy so not going to attempt it but someones mentioned about moving everything into the 101apple folder? Might be worth a look

ViViDboarder
Sep 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
Have you had any luck with Videorecorder? That can encode to mp4 which might play a little bit nicer...
Also
http://getsatisfaction.com/pixelpipe/topics/why_wont_pixelpipe_show_my_cycorder_videos Theres commands there to change default folders for cycorder... I'm not terminal savvy so not going to attempt it but someones mentioned about moving everything into the 101apple folder? Might be worth a look

Thanks, but PixelPipe does work for me. It's the camera roll where I don't see it... Just looking for someone to confirm or whatever considering it was mentioned that Cycorder did work in a previous post.

equinox
Sep 17, 2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks, but PixelPipe does work for me. It's the camera roll where I don't see it... Just looking for someone to confirm or whatever considering it was mentioned that Cycorder did work in a previous post.

No but what I mean is ppvideoenabler might move videos into a folder that pixelpipe that use, but those terminal commands might move videos into the right folder that the camera roll can utilize? (as far as I can see videos are placed in dcim/videos or something whereas saved videos are put in dcim/101apple so they need to be moved up one level? Did you check that other link i PM'd you? Thats working for me but not a very good solution.

ViViDboarder
Sep 17, 2009, 02:49 PM
No but what I mean is ppvideoenabler might move videos into a folder that pixelpipe that use, but those terminal commands might move videos into the right folder that the camera roll can utilize? (as far as I can see videos are placed in dcim/videos or something whereas saved videos are put in dcim/101apple so they need to be moved up one level? Did you check that other link i PM'd you? Thats working for me but not a very good solution.

Thanks, I didn't make an account for the other forum so I couldn't view it. I'll try creating a link to the dcim/101apple folder as well. I'll just try to do it with a symbolic link as well.

EDIT: No go... I made a symbolic link in /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/101APPLE to /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/CycorderVideos and made sure it linked correctly into my Cycorder recorded folder and it did.

I also tried copying a video from there straight to my /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/101APPLE folder, and no go there either.

When I go into Camera Roll I only see the photo that I have taken and no videos.

ViViDboarder
Sep 24, 2009, 02:46 PM
Has anyone since gotten Cycorder videos to show in Camera Roll? Either saving them from emails or by copying them to /101APPLE/ ?

I tried emailing a video from Cycorder to myself and I had no luck saving it. No option.

Ideas?

I've seen there's some kind of toggle that you can get for SBSettings that moves your video files to /101APPLE/, renames them to IMG00#.MOV <Note the caps. And then generates thumbnails for them with ffmpeg and puts them in the thumbnail folder or something. Any luck?

EDIT:

Ok... So I tried reading what this toggle did and aparently it was for 3.0... I found a way to get it to work with 3.1 though even simpler... Just manually...

The only thing that has to be done to get a Cycorder video to load in Camera Roll is to have it in 101APPLE and rename it to IMG000#.MOV. It will just have a blank thumbnail but it'll play and edit just fine. :D

If only Cycorder would just save with this naming convention. :D