Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sageenos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
South Carolina
Anyone have any speculation on when new powerbooks will be introduced. I want to get a laptop for college this fall and I don't want to buy at the end of summer if something spectacular will be coming out within a few more months (I can stick with my x86 box for just a little while longer..at least I have linux so I don't have to run windows). The Ti Powerbook is a great system, but it seems like it's due for an overhaul sometime after the powermac line. Any speculations?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'd say that the earliest we would see an update in the PowerBook line will be MWP (Paris), or maybe Seybold (in September). Remember, there are four expo's over the year. SanFran, NY, Japan, and Paris. There are chances for things to happen at Seybold as well, but the best chances are for the MW Expo's.

If you can wait until the next expo/event, then do so. I wouldn't wait. Just go and get the top end TiBook now... It's the balls. :D

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
In addition, the Ti already has an updated screen, and a CD burner.

You can't do much to improve it, other than adding a faster processor and a SuperDrive........and 800 mhz is pretty fast

so if you need more than that, then wait.....otherwise, plunge in!

By the way.....check out the Student Developer's discount

sageenos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
South Carolina
educational discounts

I'm planning on buying through my university so I'll get the educational discounts...the discounts are great.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
PUHLEASE!~

The PowerMacs havent even been redone yet and your hoping for Powerbook changes. ANother bit of proof that it a waste of time, to try to change the concept of MacWorlds.

People wait for what they want No matter what you try to change the focus on!

Get a Powerbook now, there isnt anything coming for a while!

the PowerMacs are next and by the time OLD MAN jobs gets around to it.

Well, You will be out of school!

sageenos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
South Carolina
I'm actually thinking about getting an iMac 17" this fall then maybe get an iBook later on for carrying around to classes. I need a new desktop to replace my aging gateway and I don't need a laptop right off the bat anyways.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by sageenos
I'm actually thinking about getting an iMac 17" this fall then maybe get an iBook later on for carrying around to classes. I need a new desktop to replace my aging gateway and I don't need a laptop right off the bat anyways.

Actually, that's what I was about to suggest. Just buy your RAM from somebody else. I recommend OWC -

http://eshop.macsales.com/

You'll need more RAM. Get the 17' iMac, or eMac if you don't need a DVD-Burner, now and an iBook later. Very light, portable, strong. Maybe by the time you're ready, they'll have a better iBook, or PowerBook. If new models are released by then, or about to be released, the ones out now will get big discounts. Or buy a Refurb if you're on a budget.

I can wait for the new Towers, so I will (but not too long I hope). But if you need it now, buy it now. Something bigger, better, faster, cheaper will always come out a few months later (unless you're waiting for the new computers to be released, then it's always a long wait).

Just wait until after Jaguar is released.

Who know, you may want a cheaper tower and buy your own display. Look in the educational and Refurb sections after new things are introduced, you can always find good deals (almost bought myself the 733 EDU Tower still offered for $1200, glad I can wait). Use the savings to get yourself an iPod.

You'll be happy with whatever you get.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If any juicy stuff is going to be rolled out at MWParis, we'll have to watch this page to see if Jobs signs up to do the talk. Without him there the chances of good stuff go down.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.