PDA

View Full Version : P-Book Charge light always amber

daveyc
Jul 7, 2004, 01:05 PM
Hi guys,
laptop is 15" PB-G4 FW800 Model

The other day, My wife left my PB Battery out and disconnected it from the mains, totally discharging the backup battery and loosing my settings.... :mad:

Since this happened, when I charge my powerbook the charge light never goes to green. The battery indicator states 100% charge, I also found a console command to test the battery and yep, it's fully charged up....

Also, the timer when charged stays on "calculating" for the time to charge up, but does display (and appears accurate) when the battery is discharging!

I'm worried that my battery will be contiunously overcharged by this behaviour! Please help!

Thanks,

Dave

mkrishnan
Jul 7, 2004, 01:27 PM
It might have to do with the battery calibration. Try the re-calibration process:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Basically, unplug, run on battery until the computer goes to sleep automatically, and then recharge it. When you plug the charger back in, at least on my iBook/G4, it will actually go green momentarily at 0%, calibrate, and then start charging. But hopefully then, when it reaches 100% again, it will go green again.

daveyc
Jul 7, 2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks! I'll try that now and post back on if it works.

Regards,

Dave.

jasonmanthony
Jul 7, 2004, 04:10 PM
Hello,

I had the same problem, and also did the discharge-recharge solution to no avail. Talked with apple and they wern't sure so they had me send the whole thing in to be serviced. Turned out to be the power supply "brick" so they replaced it and all has been well so far.

Jason

Judo
Jul 7, 2004, 05:13 PM
You can also try restting the PMU.

1. the computer is on, turn it off.

2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.

3. Wait 5 seconds.

4. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

Good luck.

daveyc
Jul 8, 2004, 12:14 PM
Still no joy! :mad:

I have discharged and re-charged fully the battery and re-set the power management....

One thing that puzzles me is that I have held down shift ctrl apple and power, but it just turns the laptop on? same when I reset the P-Ram as well. :confused: All the keys work, but how do I know it's worked!

Anyway, I've followed all the steps, but it still never stops charging, even at 100%.

I have let the battery charge wit hthe laptop on and off, it still always stays amber, never goes green. Last night after re-setting power management I did get a timer to fully charged, instead of just "Calculating", but when it reached 100%, it then went to "calculating".

Even when the laptop is off, the light stays amber, and the battery indicators top light is flashing. Take the battery out and it's registered as charged.

HELP! :-)

Finiksa
Jul 8, 2004, 12:35 PM
One thing that puzzles me is that I have held down shift ctrl apple and power, but it just turns the laptop on?
Perhaps you should try Shift-Control-Option-Power instead, assuming you're attempting to reset the PMU.