PDA

View Full Version : the troll of all time, gocyrus, is gone...

jefhatfield
Jul 7, 2004, 05:57 PM
...actually long gone, so why not let us regular posters have the original right to delete a post or thread we started?

gocyrus, for most of you who were not here back then, used to troll here and make a provacative post and many of us, me included, would add our opinions...the thread would get big and then, whoosh, he would delete the thread he started (back when we all had that right), and many of us would lose a chunk of our post count, and ranking, in one fell swoop

gocyrus got off on pissing off people, especially the posters who invested a lot of time and research into their posts

but from what i can gather, from what i have seen as the oldest poster, is that only gocyrus, now banned, played this sick game

now he is gone

arn, please give us back the right to delete a post or thread

don't let the bad memory of just one poster, years ago, ruin the full rights and privelidges that thousands of us used to have here

ps...i bring this up about once every six months or so since i miss the ability to delete a post or thread...overall, i am not griping since macrumors has grown into a very civilized outlet for all things mac :)

jsw
Jul 7, 2004, 06:03 PM
I'd think that at least the ability to delete your own post, or your own thread before someone posts to it, would be OK with everyone. That way, no one ever gets a post deleted that they wrote unless they do it themselves.

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 7, 2004, 08:16 PM
If everyone knew he was like that then why did they keep posting? :confused:

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 7, 2004, 08:18 PM
I agree with JSW, if the thread is empty maybe the initiator should be able to kill it. Though once a response has been entered, I think that it should be up to the mod's to do the deleting.

What is one mans trash, is another mans treasure.

Stelliform
Jul 7, 2004, 08:50 PM
arn, please give us back the right to delete a post or thread

don't let the bad memory of just one poster, years ago, ruin the full rights and privelidges that thousands of us used to have here

Demi's used to have the privilege until just recently when one of the Demi's went loopy and deleted a huge thread that he started. (Which also contained many posts by Mr. A.) We lost the privilege also.

That Demi has been banned now, but the trouble he caused is still fresh in the minds of the Mods. I do not think we will get the privilege back. (I ask regularly too. ;) )

abhishekit
Jul 7, 2004, 09:01 PM
off topic, but what's a demi god?

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 7, 2004, 09:03 PM
If everyone knew he was like that then why did they keep posting? :confused:

I guess why it is that some of us still post replies to some on the political forum. We are like moths to a flame. :D

Sun Baked
Jul 7, 2004, 09:13 PM
I guess why it is that some of us still post replies to some on the political forum. We are like moths to a flame. :DYes, but the hostility in the political forum is quite evident so it's not really a flame -- but a flamethrower that is willing to reach out and consumer you.

http://paintedover.com/uploads/4/animation3.gif

Stelliform
Jul 7, 2004, 09:14 PM
off topic, but what's a demi god?

Someone who contributes (http://www.macrumors.com/contrib.html) money to MacRumors.

King Cobra
Jul 7, 2004, 09:16 PM
gocyrus... has been ... gone ... for like ... 2.3 years... Anyways, I find it wierd that all of a sudden gocyrus is mentioned. Yeah, gocyrus was not one of your more enjoyable trolls.

Demi's used to have the privilege until just recently when one of the Demi's went loopy and deleted a huge thread that he started. (Which also contained many posts by Mr. A.) We lost the privilege also.
I think that was tazo right? I wasn't on MacRumors active enough at the time to take notice, but I think he's the only banned Contributor "for" the site.

I'm also for the "Remove post/thread we started" option, and I am also for having that option extended down to noncontributors. Lately, I've noticed that some of my own posts are replies to the wrong question (edited to "delete" or something like that), so my post count increases slightly. I wanted to delete those posts pretty badly right after I realized the misreading, I suppose from the feeling of guilt.

My point is: If someone is going to delete posts, then that person should just be reminded what types of posts to remove with a notice right beside the "Delete post" option. So if the mods and arn agree on it, then let's put up a "What you can delete vs. what you should leave as is" section, or single Q&A even, in the FAQ section and link the person about to delete one of his/her own posts to that part of the FAQ. Examples in the single Q&A would also work, like: Don't remove a post to cover your back in a discussion, as that would confuse people in an in-depth discussion of a topic. If you find that your post is off-topic, or if you accidently started a new thread in the wrong section, you may delete your post.

Anyways, if the option is put back, let the Contributors have first grabs at it. If it goes well and stays well, then let's extend that authority down to everyone else.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 8, 2004, 04:04 AM
Yes, but the hostility in the political forum is quite evident so it's not really a flame -- but a flamethrower that is willing to reach out and consumer you.

http://paintedover.com/uploads/4/animation3.gif

ooh, the light is so pretty, must get closer.. OUCH! :D

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 8, 2004, 04:06 AM
Someone who contributes (http://www.macrumors.com/contrib.html) money to MacRumors.

Any idea when the mug might be updated?

MacFan26
Jul 8, 2004, 05:25 AM
I could see it being useful for people who accidently post a double thread or something, save some trouble for the mods, but I guess it's too high a privilege for a mere regular user :).

jxyama
Jul 8, 2004, 10:15 AM
can't you just edit your post to be empty?

i don't see the big deal... i think it's got a big room for abuse. i think it's fine the way it is, but of course, i am too "new" to know what it used to be like...

jefhatfield
Jul 8, 2004, 11:56 AM
can't you just edit your post to be empty?

i don't see the big deal... i think it's got a big room for abuse. i think it's fine the way it is, but of course, i am too "new" to know what it used to be like...

while the trolls were the same in quality, they were less in quantity

gocyrus, however, was a one time phenomenon...i think we are safe to delete our own posts and threads without him popping up again

macrumors was more of a community of mac users back then and quite a few of us knew each other...macrumors today has become so large that few names here are familiar and most posts are either one time posts or the occassional passerby who comes here once a year

take a look at the posters in the last year for instance and notice they don't stay...macrumors is more of a transient thing these days and from the first year, there are about three or four of us posting regularly anymore

from the year 2000, i am the lone poster

Mr. Anderson
Jul 8, 2004, 12:05 PM
while the trolls were the same in quality, they were less in quantity

gocyrus, however, was a one time phenomenon...i think we are safe to delete our own posts and threads without him popping up again

but we thought that until tazo started messing around with it. And then it was decided that from then on, only mods would delete threads. If you need a thread taken care of, let one of us know. You can still go back and edit you posts if you don't like them, but in general, things get taken care of quickly.

We've been over this discussion before I think....

D

jefhatfield
Jul 8, 2004, 01:05 PM
but we thought that until tazo started messing around with it. And then it was decided that from then on, only mods would delete threads. If you need a thread taken care of, let one of us know. You can still go back and edit you posts if you don't like them, but in general, things get taken care of quickly.

We've been over this discussion before I think....

D

i didn't realize tazo also did that...is he gone? or was he warned?

i hate how one, or two, disruptive trolls can change the whole quality of macrumors

i guess i miss the old days of the first full year of macrumors...i guess you got to do what you got to do, but you can see that there are also others who would at least like to have the ability to delete a single post

i hope things on macrumors, like troll attacks slow down to a trickle so one day we can at the very least have the ability to delete single posts

if it still messes things up too much, i am more than willing to volunteer my time to be a moderator...for free...you guys don't get paid, do you? ;)

seamuskrat
Jul 8, 2004, 03:23 PM
As a former but long time moderator on AOl message boards, moderation is key.

I like the concept for deleting my OWN post or reply. I do not think in an open forum, anyone but designated moderators should be able to censor, delete, or alter content of a post. The edit function here is very nice, and you could edit to blank but sometimes its easier to delete.

But I know the work that goes into forum moderation and you have to appreciate the folks at macrumors that put in the hours. Even if you cannot agree with them, you can always try to be active and be a sane voice in the online community. Maybe Arn will have sign ups for new Mods or a mod training camp and give certain privileges to other volunteers.

Hemingray
Jul 8, 2004, 03:37 PM
Wow... goCyrus... that's going back a ways jef!

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to delete an entire thread? Deleting a post is one thing I could see (but then of course you can always just edit the post and delete the contents anyway)

Personally, I think that deleting an entire thread is best left to the mods... but that's just my opinion. Or, give deletion privileges to members of a certain rank or higher or something... people that have proven themselves to be responsible posters.

You never know where another goCyrus may be lurking... :eek: ;)

jefhatfield
Jul 8, 2004, 06:59 PM
Wow... goCyrus... that's going back a ways jef!

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to delete an entire thread? Deleting a post is one thing I could see (but then of course you can always just edit the post and delete the contents anyway)

Personally, I think that deleting an entire thread is best left to the mods... but that's just my opinion. Or, give deletion privileges to members of a certain rank or higher or something... people that have proven themselves to be responsible posters.

You never know where another goCyrus may be lurking... :eek: ;)

i wonder if i have been here long enough, in good standing, to earn their trust? ;)

themadchemist
Jul 9, 2004, 07:31 AM
gocyrus, the name even sounds mythical... ;)

King Cobra
Jul 9, 2004, 09:53 AM
i wonder if i have been here long enough, in good standing, to earn their trust?
Yo, juliana...who are you asking? That should be a period. But let's say you did ask. No, you wouldn't become a mod just because of experience. Doctor Q has been around I think less than any of the other mods. Though don't go off telling too many people.

jefhatfield
Jul 9, 2004, 10:00 AM
Yo, juliana...who are you asking? That should be a period. But let's say you did ask. No, you wouldn't become a mod just because of experience. Doctor Q has been around I think less than any of the other mods. Though don't go off telling too many people.

actually i am happy just being a regular member

i just want it back like the old days, the v1 bulletin, right to delete, too, and the old style and community, oh, and getting fan mail from all over the world ;)

themadchemist
Jul 9, 2004, 10:03 AM
actually i am happy just being a regular member

i just want it back like the old days, the v1 bulletin, right to delete, too, and the old style and community, oh, and getting fan mail from all over the world ;)

ooooh, stop your whining! :p

jefhatfield
Jul 9, 2004, 10:36 AM
ooooh, stop your whining! :p

i guess it's a pet peeve

macrumors is like los angeles,ca...at one time it was easy to get around and it was a shining gem of a city...very clean and civilized...but macrumors, like la, got crowded with strangers who don't care what they throw out the window into the street ;)

themadchemist
Jul 9, 2004, 01:20 PM
i guess it's a pet peeve

macrumors is like los angeles,ca...at one time it was easy to get around and it was a shining gem of a city...very clean and civilized...but macrumors, like la, got crowded with strangers who don't care what they throw out the window into the street ;)

It's a fair point, and I know you're getting all sentimental now that you've been here four years. I forgive you your pet peeve (as if I'm the one who doles out forgiveness). ;)

michaelrjohnson
Jul 12, 2004, 11:38 AM
from the year 2000, i am the lone poster

Come on now jefhatfield, we had this conversation recently! ;)

On an aside, you mentioned that the community back then was more tight-knit. How many members were there in 00? It still seemed big to me back then, after all, I was only 16 when I joined.

EDIT:

I just did some searching, as it turns out, there are just 30 members who joined in 2000 who have posted since July of 2003. On top of that, it's just you, Blakespot and I that have more than 150 posts from that 30. :eek: We're oldfolks!

jefhatfield
Jul 12, 2004, 11:49 AM
Come on now jefhatfield, we had this conversation recently! ;)

On an aside, you mentioned that the community back then was more tight-knit. How many members were there in 00? It still seemed big to me back then, after all, I was only 16 when I joined.

EDIT:

I just did some searching, as it turns out, there are just 30 members who joined in 2000 who have posted since July of 2003. On top of that, it's just you, Blakespot and I that have more than 150 posts from that 30. :eek: We're oldfolks!

but at least you don't have that middle aged 35 year old fatness ;)

King Cobra
Jul 12, 2004, 01:22 PM
but at least you don't have that middle aged 35 year old fatness
That, plus at least you weren't adopted as a punk child online. http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_shocked.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_eek.gifhttp://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_shocked.gif