Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Many a pregnant woman has moments when her fetus seems like a little parasite, all take, take, take. But new research suggests that a fetus may also be giving back a lifelong gift: cells that appear to act like stem cells, migrating to diseased organs in the mother and trying to fix them.

Tufts-New England Medical Center researchers report in today's Journal of the American Medical Association that they have found evidence of such transformed fetal cells in the livers, thyroids, and spleens of women who have been pregnant.

"If we can prove these are stem cells, and harvest them from the blood or tissue of a woman who's been pregnant, they could have therapeutic potential for that woman, her children, and perhaps even unrelated individuals," said Dr. Diana Bianchi, chief of medical genetics at the hospital and senior author on the paper.

The findings could also affect the national debate over stem cells, she said, in that they raise the possibility of obtaining stem cells, which can change into many tissues of the body, without the ethical issues involved in creating or destroying human embryos. President Bush has sharply restricted federal funding for research on human embryonic stem cells to keep the government from supporting research that he believes destroys human life.

In an editorial, the AMA journal said the work raised "novel and exciting" possibilities, and added: "The time may soon come when the prenatal child heals the mother and perhaps in the far distant future becomes the ultimate health insurance for the whole family."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/07/07/fetuses_give_mothers_a_gift_of_cells_study_says/

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
wdlove said:
Many a pregnant woman has moments when her fetus seems like a little parasite, all take, take, take. But new research suggests that a fetus may also be giving back a lifelong gift: cells that appear to act like stem cells, migrating to diseased organs in the mother and trying to fix them.

Not surprising since there is a form of cancer that strikes women who have been pregnant. It involves cells from the fetus implanting in other places in the woman's body.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
MongoTheGeek said:
Not surprising since there is a form of cancer that strikes women who have been pregnant. It involves cells from the fetus implanting in other places in the woman's body.

The point of this article was a positive one. The idea that pregnancy can help out the woman and the family. There will be stem cells to help with cure the mother or the family of disease in the future. I haven't really heard of a cancer related to pregnancy. There are women that get diabetes during pregnancy. Also the possibility of toxemia of pregnancy which increases blood pressure and risks the life of the mother and baby.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
MongoTheGeek said:
Well they aren't going to be well rested ever again. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by that? :confused: Nothing has really changed, the vast majority of pregnancies are normal. This is a story showing great promise for the future in stem cell research that could benefit the Mom and her family.

spasticmutant

macrumors member
May 2, 2004
Santa Clara
wdlove said:
I'm not sure what you mean by that? :confused: Nothing has really changed, the vast majority of pregnancies are normal. This is a story showing great promise for the future in stem cell research that could benefit the Mom and her family.

I think he means that once one has a new baby, one won't be enjoying uninterupted sleep again for a long time. It's rare to find new parents that are well rested - unless they can afford to hire a nanny to be the sleep-deprived one. :p

Anne Marie

acdninjapan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
The Beaches Tokyo Japan
spasticmutant said:
I think he means that once one has a new baby, one won't be enjoying uninterupted sleep again for a long time. It's rare to find new parents that are well rested - unless they can afford to hire a nanny to be the sleep-deprived one. :p

Anne Marie

True and it's usually Dad who has to do the 3am diaper changes. I speak from experience.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
MongoTheGeek said:
Taking care of the babies is what I meant.

Sorry, I admit that I misinterpreted your statement. I didn't have any children. My understanding was that the first two years is the worst. Thought that the majority sleep through the nigh after that. At least that is what I've heard and can remember from my childhood.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
wdlove said:
Sorry, I admit that I misinterpreted your statement. I didn't have any children. My understanding was that the first two years is the worst. Thought that the majority sleep through the nigh after that. At least that is what I've heard and can remember from my childhood.

I started out with a 10 year old and haven't slept nearly as well since. Maybe in a decade or so when he gets married and has kids...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.