Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
I was going to get one for myself as well till they nixed the camera, so I am going to wait, but my daughter is now wanting one.

I originally scoffed at her wanting a 16 gig thinking it was not worth the extra bill, but I had not checked the specs after hearing the camera had been axed, so I just found out the 16 also got axed.

My question is, should I get her the 8 gig and hope she can manage the space, spring on the 32, which at least seems like a more justifiable use of an extra hundred than the 8 gig, or get her a 16 gig refurb?

She is interested in games, movies and music obviouslly.

Is the new processor that big a speed bump as well and is it in all 3 models, or just the 32 and 64?

mexxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
I was going to get one for myself as well till they nixed the camera, so I am going to wait, but my daughter is now wanting one.

I originally scoffed at her wanting a 16 gig thinking it was not worth the extra bill, but I had not checked the specs after hearing the camera had been axed, so I just found out the 16 also got axed.

My question is, should I get her the 8 gig and hope she can manage the space, spring on the 32, which at least seems like a more justifiable use of an extra hundred than the 8 gig, or get her a 16 gig refurb?

She is interested in games, movies and music obviouslly.

Is the new processor that big a speed bump as well and is it in all 3 models, or just the 32 and 64?

No, you should get her a 16gig refurbished for the same price as the 8 gig... plus its not like the 8 gig is 3rd gen.. its still 2.
heres a link to the refurbished 16 gig.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB531LL/A?mco=Nzk3MTQzMA

yawnyj

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Gig Harbor , Wa
The newer faster processer is only in the 32 or 64gb. I just got a 32gb, and it works great. I had a first generation 16gb which was full ,so double the memory is better for me. Of course you don't have to have everything loaded on there at once, but the extra memory is nice. I thought about the 64gb, but didn't think I would ever need that much memory. I have quite a few applications on it, but they don't use much memory. The new one is much faster in loading pages on the web, etc. and actually everything else, but I didn't have a 2nd gen to compare it with. I hope this helps. I think an 8gb is probably too small, knowing how kids use these things.

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
There was no improvements made on the 3rd gen 8gb. Everything was on the 32 and 64gb models. If she is into games and movies, more memory and the newer software and hardware will be much better. I found a big difference in the way my new 64gb preforms than the 2nd gen 32. It is a bit faster, runs smoother. When I am playing games and watching movies, the battery seems to last abit longer. The 2nd gen 32 battery after playing games for a hour to hour and a half dropped down to half on the one I had. With the 3rd gen 64 the same amount of game time reduces the battery down to a little over a 1/4. So it is a little better in that regard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.