PDA

View Full Version : Flash Banner Ads

OutThere
Jul 7, 2004, 10:41 PM
I have noticed a sudden surge in the amount of flash ads online, and they are really starting to bug me. Some of the ads are several megs and consume precious bandwidth only to jump in my face showing me full motion video and big long animations. When two or three of these show up on a page it really starts to become cluttered and offensive, not to mention that the fact that flash, being slow on the mac, will sometimes start to slow down my computer. I really think that advertising shouldn't be able to slow down a computer. Especially when I have a 1ghz iBook G4, which is by far not an old computer. (9 months) Is it just me or is anyone else really really aggrivated by the fact that flash ads are now everywhere?

FredAkbar
Jul 8, 2004, 12:15 AM
I just don't like them because if I'm using Firefox, if I right-click one of them, it just lets me change the Flash player settings, whereas if I right-click a regular jpg/gif ad, I can choose to block ads from that server and stuff. I use Safari primarily because of PithHelmet (http://culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php) (an awesome ad-blocking utility, works pretty much perfectly for me), but it's for Safari only, so with Firefox I just have to do my best to try and have Firefox block some of the ads.

scem0
Jul 8, 2004, 01:20 AM
I dont mind them unless they make noises.

Like that stupid 'hi, my name is Linda. Type something in the text box and i'll say it", or whatever 'she' says :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.

But I don't mind the other ones.

scem0

isgoed
Jul 23, 2004, 08:25 AM
I just got so annoyed again because again due to flash adds my browser got slow that i could just as well be on a 56k. The user interface start to use several seconds before it responds to mouse clicks (i am on a powerbook 550mhz).

So i started testing the CPU usage.

When i have a flash add open in camino and two others in tabs, the cpu usage is 80% for camino only. (so probably 100% overstressed when considering other processes)

When i have two adds open but not visible the usage is 50-60% for camino.

With one add open the usage is about 30% for camino only.

This made me come to the conlusion that i should just bann/block/stop/disable flash/macromedia unless i specifically state i want it.

Any suggestions on how to do this?