Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philkas13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Is there much of a difference besides being "faster"?

I am trying to decide if I should go with the 32 GB 3G itouch or the 32GB 2g Itouch. I won't use it for internet that much, especially since I have internet wherever I go with my Dare.

But are there any main differences that people are noticing that had a 2G Itouch and now have the 3G?

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I am finding that games and apps are smoother running and it doesn't hiccup. Personally I find the 3rd gen to be better than the 2nd gen I had. With there no being that much of a price difference between the two, I would opt for the 3rd since it has newer software and hardware. also with the 3.1.1 software already installed you won't run into the problems some are having upgrading their 2nd gen. Since future apps are going to require the open GL for better graphics, the 3rd gen has that and the 2nd gen doesn't.

Aeroplane

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
After reading kwajkat's post this came to my mind. Does that mean that without the software upgrade I won't be able to download newer apps that run on Open GL for my 2nd gen ipod touch? is this software upgrade urgent? haha

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
After reading kwajkat's post this came to my mind. Does that mean that without the software upgrade I won't be able to download newer apps that run on Open GL for my 2nd gen ipod touch? is this software upgrade urgent? haha

Software does not have anything to do with OpenGL support. The newer devices support OpenGL 2.0 ES (IIRC) because of their new hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.