Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Hello - This is not a video question, but I figured most people using drobo(pro)s would be reading here and able to answer my question (I read these forums often and I know there are some Drobo Pro users our there).

The company I'm working for is looking for a cheap iSCSI external storage device for two servers (running VMware ESXi, each with 2-4 VMs). We've been recommended the DroboPro by our IT company, as a dedicated iSCSI machine from HP or IBM with the amount of storage we need is about $10,000. Being a small business, we're not wanting to spend that kind of money but we need extra storage (4 TB to begin with).

Question is this - If we bought 2 drobopros (total cost would be cheaper for two Drobos than half of one iSCSI server), is there any way to have one set for the servers to read/write from (production), and have the other setup to basically replicate the production one (a backup)? Basically to have a backup in case the production Drobopro goes offline for any reason, we could have all of our data on the second backup drobo ready to bring everything back online.

I am not familiar with the Drobo software so I'm not sure if there is anything in there to support multiple Drobos and have them possibly replicate or be in a RAID1 type configuration.

I know I know - just build our own Linux iSCSI solution. My company and IT company are both very windows centric and non-DIY fans. I'm having a hard enough time getting us to switch to Linux/PHP web hosting from our $700 a year windows hosting for our new website rolling out this fall. Maybe if you have a really compelling idea, go for it.

Thanks. And if anyone has any experience using Drobo and iSCSI - let me know how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.