PDA

View Full Version : Starting to write music need advice

Freemaj
Sep 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
I've been playing keyboard and various instruments for a long time and never have recorded anything onto my computer. I want to start recording/making my own beats and whatnot, do you guys have any suggestions,advice? Such as professional programs(I don't have problems learning a new program), and you get the point.

Thanks!!

Deano.uk
Sep 16, 2009, 02:27 AM
im in the same position.

ive started on garage band, tryed logic but a bit too advanced for me.

get ilife09 and the new version of garage band, and just try the drum loops, some are "editable".

For input i can highly reccamend the Line6 UX1, althought you might want to upgrade to somthing like the http://line6.com/podstudiokb37/ to have a midi input? with the gearbox program i used to (pre-snow leopard UPDATE PLEASE!!!) be able to use various guitar/bass amp+FX modeling, also does Vocal MIC/FX modeling too.

i mainly just line-in guitar/mic with the UX1 and take it from there. with cover songs i import midi tracks of songs to GBand, delete everything but the drum track and record bass, synth/piano guitar an vocals on top.

if your just starting out recording that should help you, only go for a more professional system when you find garage band limiting for your needs... ive established all i need is to record, adjust the levels and use minium FX, odd bit of 'verb and EQ tweaks here and there.

scottyh
Sep 16, 2009, 07:01 AM
i couldnt agree more. garageband is the ideal stepping block for either a budding producer or someone who just wants to record themselves. it works excellantly for quitarists or baasists who just want to show of there skills and drum loops can be pulled up. the same can be done in logic but what is the point of spending all that money when you wont be using any of the features?! garageband is a widely underated programme and i wish that i had learnt on that as it gives a lot of basic skills that can then be applied in the logic 9.

deej999
Sep 16, 2009, 10:19 AM
i couldnt agree more. garageband is the ideal stepping block for either a budding producer or someone who just wants to record themselves. it works excellantly for quitarists or baasists who just want to show of there skills and drum loops can be pulled up. the same can be done in logic but what is the point of spending all that money when you wont be using any of the features?! garageband is a widely underated programme and i wish that i had learnt on that as it gives a lot of basic skills that can then be applied in the logic 9.

I also agree Garageband is a great starting point and it's on every new mac 'for free'. But for me if you want 'professional' then Logic is the way to go. For advanced editing, routing, plugins and effects, MIDI and audio recording it's great. Good thing is you can start with Garageband and then load the garageband project into Logic.

deej

ChrisA
Sep 16, 2009, 10:26 AM
i couldnt agree more. garageband is the ideal stepping block for either a budding producer or someone who just wants to record themselves. it works excellantly for quitarists or baasists who just want to show of there skills and drum loops can be pulled up.....

I agree. In fact I'll use a drum loop rather then a metronome for practice. The learning curve is not all that large.

Even if you want to use something else later at this point you don't know what you want because you lack experience. If nothing else GB can give you enough experience so that you will know what you like and don't like about recording software. Use GB until you have good reasons to change.