Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idigitall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Hi,
I am in the midst of setting up a small basic recording studio in my home and have picked up a Tascam 1884 controller connected to a MacBook Pro and am considering either or both - Cubase or Protools software.

My dilemma/question is: My preference is to use Protools (as I intend to end up in a "pro" studio for my final mix) but from my research it appears I have to have some piece of Digidesign hardware (MBox etc) to fire up Protools and it can only record on two tracks at a time? Problem is I need a minimum of 8 simultaneous tracks to record?

Is the solution to record using Cubebase (which I think can record as many tracks as you like at one time?) And then do a "stem" export/import into Protools when I am ready to mix?
Thank you all in advance.
Idigitall

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Tascam + ProTools - no go

RE:
"I am in the midst of setting up a small basic recording studio in my home and have picked up a Tascam 1884 controller connected to a MacBook Pro and am considering either or both - Cubase or Protools software."

You're aren't going to get the Tascam to work with ProTools. To use ProTools, you MUST have either 1. Digidesign hardware (MBox, etc.), or, 2. an M-Audio interface and the special "M-powered" version of ProTools.

But again, ProTools ain't workin' with Tascam. Don't even bother.

Having said that, the 1884 is a very good piece of hardware. You just need to use other DAW software with it.

I _HIGHLY_ recommend Cubase. Wasn't a version of Cubase LE included with the Tascam? (it is "bundled" in with many DAW hardware pieces)

If you did receive a copy of Cubase LE with the Tascam, check to see which version it is.

If it is still version 1, contact Tascam and ask that they upgrade you to Cubase LE 4 - much improved.

Also, be aware that the version of Cubase LE 4 you need is "4.1.2" or "4.1.3". There was an earlier version that shipped that has problems (particularly with normalizing audio and adjusting gain). The upgrade fixes all this.

Updaters are available at Steinberg's site.

Idigitall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Thank you Fishrrman

Thank you Fishrrman,
I appreciate the advice. I did get Cubase 4.1 with the 1884 and will upgrade per your advice. Do have any quick fixes for getting my eventual Cubase tracks into Pro Tools? Seems I have to export each track as a stem and line them up one by one in Protools?

musicman1182

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
tascam fw-1884

i actually have a pc, but i just got the tascam fw-1884, and i use cubase le 4, and i cant get it to record 8 simultaneous tracks, i can only get track one and two

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Bounce everything to Audio and export as OMF. If the protools studio has digitranslator installed you are good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.