PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 will die when I am furthest from home

oldschool006
Sep 16, 2009, 02:20 AM
Hi everyone. New to the boards here thanks to a tireless '05 iBook. It runs 10.4.1. Original 40gig HD
It's been getting a bit tired of late and I fear HD failure when I am least able to deal with it as I am in a remote area. It's main function is downloading photofiles to an external HD. After that I need photoshop.
I've got an external HD firewire, but it's a western digital so not compatible with Superduper. I have the OSX 10.5 discs from my MacPro. Can I use this to work from if my HD fails?
Thanks

ziggyonice
Sep 16, 2009, 02:29 AM
I've got an external HD firewire, but it's a western digital so not compatible with Superduper.

Western Digital drives shouldn't have any problem working with SuperDuper. It's an external hard disk, just like any other.

I have the OSX 10.5 discs from my MacPro. Can I use this to work from if my HD fails?

Depends on the disc you're talking about. Is the 10.5 disc you're speaking of the grey disc that came with your Mac Pro? Or is it a Mac OS X disc (with a big "X" on the front)? If it's the grey discs, unfortunately that won't work.

If you're worried about the hard drive going out soon, make sure your stuff is backed up. You should be able to use SuperDuper, not sure why you couldn't. Also, always make sure to keep your data in two places -- meaning, if your iBook's drive goes out, you're going to need to get a second external drive (because it would suck if your first external drive went out as well).

bionictony
Sep 16, 2009, 03:10 PM
only retail osx discs or original restore discs meant for the ibook g4 will work

oldschool006
Sep 17, 2009, 10:53 PM
I emailed with Dave Nanian at superduper and was told WD was not compatible to boot from.