PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tools HD Compatibility

scottyh
Sep 16, 2009, 06:53 AM
hi there guys, i have been using the various versions of logic over the years and i have been very impressed with the new logic pro, but i am about to start university and they are running pro tools. i have no prior experience with pro tools but i have been told its easy to use. now the problem is this... i have a fairly simple set up at home involving a dual input sound card, mac book pro and a set of speakers. now when i was reading the reviews on pro tools it was stating i needed specific sound cards etc etc. now my question is this, can i use pro tools HD without any sound card or mixer or is one definately required? any feedback would be much appreciated. thanks is advance

pkoch1
Sep 16, 2009, 09:14 AM
hi there guys, i have been using the various versions of logic over the years and i have been very impressed with the new logic pro, but i am about to start university and they are running pro tools. i have no prior experience with pro tools but i have been told its easy to use. now the problem is this... i have a fairly simple set up at home involving a dual input sound card, mac book pro and a set of speakers. now when i was reading the reviews on pro tools it was stating i needed specific sound cards etc etc. now my question is this, can i use pro tools HD without any sound card or mixer or is one definately required? any feedback would be much appreciated. thanks is advance

The cheapest way for you to get Pro Tools HD would be to buy a desktop computer with a PCI card slot, so you could insert an HD 1 System (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=86&itemid=4886). It will cost you $8000 USD for the HD1 system. Then, you will need to buy a Pro Tools compatible audio interface (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=169&itemid=26272). That will run you at least $2000. As you can see, it's not a very realistic option for you.

Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools M-Powered are the lighter versions of Pro Tools that can run on laptops, and desktops without the DSP chips. You can get started with these for only a couple hundred dollars and you will be able to transfer files fairly seamlessly between your LE/M-Powered system and your school's HD system. Good luck!

scottyh
Sep 16, 2009, 09:58 AM
thank you very much, im guessing these versions are fully mac compatiable as that is the only OS for me! i have an m-audio external sound card aswell, im guessing that will work, i have m-audio and pro tools work well together.

deej999
Sep 16, 2009, 10:25 AM
thank you very much, im guessing these versions are fully mac compatiable as that is the only OS for me! i have an m-audio external sound card aswell, im guessing that will work, i have m-audio and pro tools work well together.

Yes PT LE and M-powered are fully mac compatible.... but watch out for 10.6.1 compatibility. Digidesign are infamous for being slow to provide updates for new OS updates.

Here you can find out the latest compatibility info for PT
http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=23954

deej