PDA

View Full Version : Replacing HD in iBook G4

smmsanders
Sep 16, 2009, 08:11 AM
I have an iBook G4, 1.33 ghz PPC cpu, 1.25 GB ram, OS X 10.5.8, 55.89 GB HDD. I have a few questions about replacing my hard drive.

1. Where can I find a compatibility list for iBook G4? I found Western Digital Scorpio Blue offers a 500 GB hard drive for $129, but I can't figure out if this hd is compatible with iBook.

2. I've replaced a pc hard drive, which wasn't too hard, but I've heard that replacing the iBook hd is a lot harder. Is it advisable for me to replace hd?

Thanks for help

GfulDedFan
Sep 16, 2009, 08:58 AM
Here (http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Price%7c0&Ne=8056&N=6885+4294967026&Ntt=2.5+hard+drive) are some suggested hard drives from OWC. Notice that they are IDE/ATA drives and not SATA which is probably the type that you mentioned in your post. -GDF

flatfoot
Sep 16, 2009, 10:45 AM
I have an iBook G5 ...

Wow, where did you get this?! :)

I think you meant G4... :D

smmsanders
Sep 16, 2009, 11:35 AM
Wow, where did you get this?! :)

I think you meant G4... :D

I obviously should never post without my morning joe. Yeah, I meant G4.

bionictony
Sep 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
you have to do some searching around. the macbook sata hd will not fit in the ibook g4 systems. i think pata 100 or something like that will fit. you can go to ifixit and search for replacement hard drives, pick a hard drive and find out the specs of that hard drive to determine the hd connector type.

NewMacbookPlz
Sep 16, 2009, 06:07 PM
The G4 iBook is quite a pain in the a$$ to replace the HDD...you'll pretty much be taking the laptop completely apart, down to it's chassis.

www.ifixit.com has step-by-step instructions that I used when I did mine. It took me ~45min to get to the drive (being very careful), then 15min for reassembly.

I just bought some 80GB Seagate ATA 2.5" drive at the time, and it worked just fine.

California
Sep 16, 2009, 11:41 PM
Just use an egg carton for the screws taking it apart.

You can buy up to a 320 gig Western Digital hard drive PATA or sometimes called an ATA IDE drive. DO NOT GET A SATA drive. Will not work.

Get that 320 gb WDigital. It will substantially speed up your iBook.

Also, I think you must have the 14" iBook. (Because the 1.33ghz capped out at 1.25 ram on the 14") You probably have a non dvd burning combo drive. You can also put a very fast PATA superdrive in it. Might as well upgrade it as you can. There was also a bluetooth upgrade for it.

You can see I love souping up old iBooks. Disregard some of this if you have a 12" 1.33... bluetooth was standard but ram was maxed at 1.5 gigs.

smmsanders
Sep 17, 2009, 09:04 AM
Get that 320 gb WDigital.

Is this the 320 gb WDigital HD that I should get.
http://www.jr.com/western-digital/pe/WD_WD3200BEVERT/

I'm almost sold on upgrading the hard drive. I looked at a tutorial and one warning gave me a little pause. Some iBooks have a weakly soldered power connection that if broken, can cause big problems. Is it really easy to break this connection?

I think you must have the 14" iBook.

Yep, that's the iBook I have.