Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wants2tryMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Hi guys,
I'm a student who reads a lot-at the bus stop, on the bus, in the tram etc.
Can anyone suggest a very good pdf app for my iphone?
Preferably freebie;):D
Thanks.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
I have yet to have a pdf reader be able to load and scroll through pdf's with large amount of graphics smoothly and quickly. How does pdf expert handle scrolling within such documents? If i was to provide a link to one can you see how it manages it?

Carpe Discus

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
Goodreader, I cannot recommend thee enough.

I've tried a few apps on my 3G, and since I'm usually reading large PDFs, the experience was lacking. The apps would occasionally crash, and browsing was slow. Until Goodreader. It renders one page at a time, so the whole thing isn't in memory. It does mean that there's a slight lag when turning pages (instead of the smooth-ish scrolling you get when it's all prerendered), but it's way better than crashing. It's not free, but it's the only PDF reader I'd recommend--and it's a bargain for the price.

Oh, and it downloads PDFs from the web quite easily, so I just checked out that transit schedule. Works fine. The schedule itself looks like it was made to be printed out to something like four pages wide for each page (so something like a 34 inch width), so reading the large-ish tables on the iPhone is not the most rewarding experience--but it renders and scrolls around and such just fine.

Seriously, check it out. It also supports rotation lock and wifi transfer; I haven't tested the latter since it's usually really easy to just snag a PDF from a given URL (which is then stored locally, on the phone).

Carpe Discus

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
I just checked out their site to see if they had any updates coming up and they're apparently selling it for $0.99. Hard to beat that. Don't remember what I paid, but it was more than that and worth it. Personally I think it's underpriced.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I just checked out their site to see if they had any updates coming up and they're apparently selling it for $0.99. Hard to beat that. Don't remember what I paid, but it was more than that and worth it. Personally I think it's underpriced.

I agree. Grab this while you can before they increase it back to its normal price.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
odelay, can you check to see if Good Reader is able to scroll through this pdf document (nj transit train schedule) quickly and smoothly that every other pdf reader i've tried failed to do? Much appreciated, thanks.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/r0070.pdf

Just tried it and seems fine, a small delay when scrolling left/right, zooming in etc, but we're talking 1-2 seconds, then it's fine and v smooth. Bear in mind I'm testing this on a 3GS though, which is generally faster with PDFs.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
thanks guys, i purchased the app and it certainly works the best of all other pdf reader apps that I have. I love the ability to download pdf's directly from a web page as well. there is a very slight delay in scrolling through the pdf doc i listed but certainly acceptable (that's on my 3gs).

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
odelay, can you check to see if Good Reader is able to scroll through this pdf document (nj transit train schedule) quickly and smoothly that every other pdf reader i've tried failed to do? Much appreciated, thanks.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/r0070.pdf

+1 for GoodReader from me too. That timetable is perfectly usable/readable on my lowly iPod Touch 8GB 2nd Gen FW v.3.1.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.