Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody is using this monitor with Snow Leopard? I know that the 9c9e was considered the "bad" screen with it's "purple blues" (Purple links on Google) and "neon green/yellow", but I got a new MBP yesterday with this screen that shipped with SL and I'm not noticing any of these issues. Perhaps this screen isn't bad after all with the new wide gamut and the 2.2 gamma in 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Is this assumption correct? Does anybody else have any experiences with this screen in 10.6?

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I have that screen and SL on the new mbp 13" and its fine. I love my screen and everything looks great.
could be a bad batch maybe at one point.
but so far its good on my end even before SL.

TripleJJJ

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
I have this screen and I tried a calibration profile, the image looks thousand times better. Give it a try, profile found in another thread.

Attachments

• 9C9E Display Spyder3 Pro 2.2.icc.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 469

zachplaysguitar

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Richmond, VA
I have this screen and I tried a calibration profile, the image looks thousand times better. Give it a try, profile found in another thread.

Tried this on my 9C9E and I thought it was a little too red. I've been using the the stock calibration but downloaded at least 30 of them or so and I think the stock give the best depth/accuracy.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009

Thanks, but wasn't this profile created to improve the image quality before SL was released? I'm just wondering if since the release of SL does this screen really experience any of the problems that plagued it before.

TripleJJJ

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
You're right but i didn't try it with Leopard. I installed SL and applied the profile. For me the image is less blurry. I also compared it to my other macs, which have corrected profiles as well.
Just try it, you may or not like it, everyone has different view and taste.

m0no

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks again. I'll try it when I'm at home.

Is there a good way to test the screen to know if it is displaying colors correctly or is it just based mostly on perception? I don't have anything else to compare it too, so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is accurate or not.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Heres the file I made, so far its the one I like the best.

Try it and let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 1.icc.zip
    10 KB · Views: 240

Riangaku

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
9c9e with Snow Leopard or Mavericks

Recently upgraded my internal drive space again and of course the chaos to calibrate has come at me for yet another round. Unfortunately, as I don't own my own Spyder and have no access to one for another week.

After I tested this profile, I found it almost good enough for a temporary fix. Hope it will help someone else also. I am currently on Mavericks 10.9.1 with my 13" MBP and same 9c9e panel. The greens were slightly higher on my screen after using this profile even though it looked like the magentas went up initially. I went to check another thread for various profiles as well at: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/717720/
.. tested tons of them for the 9c9e and this is honestly as close as it got to a good calibration for this specific panel.

I photo edit basics in Lightroom 5 and looked at my latest approved batch (done on my previous profile) which required true to color, even type adjustments. After this new profile, the images did need a bit of boost in the magentas and a slight up in exposure - ever so slight (could be due to where individual decides to calibrate). But enough difference in the colour for an editor to notice. I was checking in Lightroom so I could tweak the image and see the color gap from having that even calibration - if exposure was accurate.

Hopefully this is useful to someone else also - I have re-attached just in case.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 9C9E Display Spyder3 Pro 2.2.icc.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.