Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sMiK

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Hello, anyone launched new NFS Shift on a macbook pro with 9600gt 512MB? I'm trying it on a macbook pro late 2008 2.53Ghz, and it's pathetic. Totally unplayable. ANyone? It seems that the video card is extremely uncapable to play that game... so unhappy with it now... I run most games at medium settings fine.. this one is not in that list.

machspeed5

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
i had the same question, and then i found your thread.

i spent a few hours with shift yesterday and its completely unplayable on my Penryn 2.53 GHz MBP 4GB RAM 512MB 8600M GT. Even on one of the lowest resolutions 960x600 and everything set to LOW it was getting around 10 fps at best. The game, might I add, looked like absolute dog piss if you turn the settings to LOW. It looked like N64 with its washed out textures.

There was little performance difference between running on HIGH and LOW. But the visual quality was huge.

I was disappointed and didn't even bother installing Batman. :(

sMiK

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Liverpool, UK
gog piss is a good comparison. and yeah, the performance difference is not big at all. what OS are you using? I'm on XP 32-bit. And is your copy a proper disk or a reloaded crack?

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I played it on my MBP 13"... And it sucked... Though I have the 9400M it runs somewhat good on LOW, but the game is terrible. Most Wanted is still the best NFS ever!

imperialnavy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
i had the same question, and then i found your thread.

i spent a few hours with shift yesterday and its completely unplayable on my Penryn 2.53 GHz MBP 4GB RAM 512MB 8600M GT. Even on one of the lowest resolutions 960x600 and everything set to LOW it was getting around 10 fps at best. The game, might I add, looked like absolute dog piss if you turn the settings to LOW. It looked like N64 with its washed out textures.

There was little performance difference between running on HIGH and LOW. But the visual quality was huge.

I was disappointed and didn't even bother installing Batman. :(

Actually dont worry about running Batman ;) I play it maxed out on my Mid09 Macbook pro, so even your older mbp should be able to handle Batman ;)

sMiK

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Liverpool, UK
yea, I will try batman soon as well, all good that at least that runs. but nfs... one of my fav series, and that dissapointment

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
yea, I will try batman soon as well, all good that at least that runs. but nfs... one of my fav series, and that dissapointment

Don't be... NFS Shift is a disaster even if you play it maxed out. EA only improves the graphics, but the game play is deteriorating from Pro Street till now.

I remember times when NFS got better and better with each new game... NFS Porsche, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground 1&2, and most of all Most Wanted!

maxb

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
To me, NFS Porsche Unleashed was the best racing game I ever played. I'm always tempted to build an old computer with Win 98 SE to play with it again... I would die to see EA take the physics from Porsche Unleashed and and make a game with today's graphics.

Don't be... NFS Shift is a disaster even if you play it maxed out. EA only improves the graphics, but the game play is deteriorating from Pro Street till now.

I remember times when NFS got better and better with each new game... NFS Porsche, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground 1&2, and most of all Most Wanted!

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
To me, NFS Porsche Unleashed was the best racing game I ever played. I'm always tempted to build an old computer with Win 98 SE to play with it again... I would die to see EA take the physics from Porsche Unleashed and and make a game with today's graphics.

Why build Win98 machine? NFS Porshe Unleashed runs fine on XP. For Vista/7 I haven't tried... Which reminds me I should :D.

Edit:... NFS Porsche Unleashed works marvelously on Win7 x64 :D. on MPB 13" :D

maxb

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Why build Win98 machine? NFS Porshe Unleashed runs fine on XP. For Vista/7 I haven't tried... Which reminds me I should :D.

Edit:... NFS Porsche Unleashed works marvelously on Win7 x64 :D. on MPB 13" :D

Do you have to do something in particular or it's just working, because last time I've tried it was like 2 years ago on a PC with Windows XP and it's was not running great (choppy graphics and lagging as hell). I still have the original disk and I would really to play with it again

woo0131

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
try going into shift and options then graphics and make the setting into 36.
I did this and it works marvelously now

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Hello, anyone launched new NFS Shift on a macbook pro with 9600gt 512MB? I'm trying it on a macbook pro late 2008 2.53Ghz, and it's pathetic. Totally unplayable. ANyone? It seems that the video card is extremely uncapable to play that game... so unhappy with it now... I run most games at medium settings fine.. this one is not in that list.

Are you sure you have the 9600M GT? Current 2.53GHz MBPs only have the integrated 9400M and I don't remember any 2.53GHz MBP having the 512MB version of 9600M GT.

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Do you have to do something in particular or it's just working, because last time I've tried it was like 2 years ago on a PC with Windows XP and it's was not running great (choppy graphics and lagging as hell). I still have the original disk and I would really to play with it again

Well I installed the v3.5 patch. Downloaded it from the inet... And a no-cd crack with it. I hate the spinning of the CD/DVD when I play games....

sMiK

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Are you sure you have the 9600M GT? Current 2.53GHz MBPs only have the integrated 9400M and I don't remember any 2.53GHz MBP having the 512MB version of 9600M GT.

yes there were 2.53Ghz MBPs with 9600GT 512 MB released when the first unibody macs came out late 2008.

And I figured that the game works better in Windows 7 (32-Bit in my case) and on 1440x900, all medium settings I get 20-30 FPS, which is not the best you would expect, but acceptable, though you need to put a view outside the car, otherwise it's dead slow (which is quite bizarre as well).

Ow also I've put the latest patch on from EA, 1.1 I believe.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Just got this game, running at 800x600 @ Low and gives me 25-30 fps on my MacBook Air... on Vista Business x64 SP2....

Shouldn't you guys system be more powerful than mine?

sMiK

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I can confirm that it does run 50% faster on Windows 7. Because when I started this thread I couldn't play it, and I was on XP. Now I can, on 7

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
I can confirm that it does run 50% faster on Windows 7. Because when I started this thread I couldn't play it, and I was on XP. Now I can, on 7

It runs nicely under Windows 7 on a 2008 Mac Pro with 8800GT.

Here's a screenshot:

Click to get the full 1.56MB image (it looks better when not reduced). The
framerate is shown bottom left, as calculate by Fraps. Generally speaking,
I would say the number of frames per second fluctuates in the 40-60 range
when playing. It can't go above 60 as vsync is on.

The settings are 1280x720px with everything turned on and maxed out.
Oddly there are some jaggies showing, despite the high AA, but this is
something noted on forums elsewhere.

This is quite a demanding game computationally. But then it's up there
with the most photorealistic games ever written for the PC. And, despite
some rough edges, it looks stunning.

A note about the simulation aspects: this game was not written by the
former NFS team. It was done by many members of the former GTR2 team.
Hence the much more realistic simulation of car physics. It's less arcady
than previous NFS games and, I think, better for it.

sMiK

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Liverpool, UK
hey i'm not even surprised that it runs well on 8800GT. It's a hardware question here, not a MAC/PC thing mate :)

Manuelmorano

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008

The Bootcamp drivers of NVIDIA are very very bad.
Try the original Nvidia drivers at:
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers
The installation is a bit hard
Follow the instructions on this website
Is very important to insert in the search terms of homepage the right PCI-DEV that you can find on the Control-Panel, Hardware Management of Windows XP
For my MacBookPro 15" Nvidia 8600M GT, Need for Speed Shift is now totally playable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.