PDA

View Full Version : Dual G5 Powermac 2.5

Pcpro745
Sep 16, 2009, 06:55 PM
I have a PowerMac Dual G5 2.5 and i just noticed lately that its only showing one CPU, if you go into about this mac it only shows that its a 2.5Ghz PowerPC G5 it used to say Dual, ive tried everything i can think of, I tried a benchmark utility that booted off cd that showed one CPU, ive tried activity monitor that only shows one, And the fan kicks up every so often, Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Its the liquid cooled one and i checked everything nothing is leaking

J the Ninja
Sep 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
Apple Hardware Test?

California
Sep 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
I suggest you get a repair guide and try to reseat the processors. There was some issue with how these were assembled in China.

Too much thermal paste... again.

Also clean it out for dust completely. Good machine, sorry to hear it.

Pcpro745
Sep 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Tried reseating the procs today and nothing, I also tried swapping the procs and it wouldnt boot, It would turn on but no apple bootup sound, and no power light, Swapped em back and it booted up fine, But still only 1 proc

Abidubi
Sep 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
If it is anything like mine, you can reset the PRAM and it will show dual 2.5 again, until it dies again and next time you turn on it will be back to a single. However it sounds more like your CPU is completely dead since it wont boot when you switch them, but try the PRAM thing first. You can search for threads started by me and you'll see all the things I have tried with my dual 1.8.

I remember someone mentioning that only the 1.8Ghz could run with 1 processor (what I did for a long time) but I am pretty sure, and you seem to confirm it, that any G5 can run with 1 processor. This is after finding out that you can use a 2.0Ghz CPU in a 1.8Ghz system to make it a dual 1.8 again.

Pcpro745
Sep 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
Just tried restting the PRAM, Let it gong 3 times, no Go

nicomsm
Sep 21, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hello I have a Mac G5 tower Dual 2,7 and about this mac show only one cpu running at 2,7 ghz.

how rset a cpu I dont know this process