PDA

View Full Version : Navigon to Add Live Traffic Data as In-App Purchase for MobileNavigator

ksmith80209
Sep 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
Gizmodo - without much sourcing or detail - is reporting that Navigon's traffic info feature will be a $25 in-app purchase. No details on whether it's a one-time purchase, annual, etc.

http://gizmodo.com/5361162/navigon-wants-an-extra-25-for-real+time-traffic-data-on-the-iphone

$25 is a bit more than i was hoping for... Let's hope that number is wrong.

vertigo235
Sep 16, 2009, 05:54 PM
Sounds like per that article it would be a one time purchase.

I'm in!

Certainly not $25 per month though.

strike1555
Sep 16, 2009, 06:26 PM
This right here sealed the deal on which app to buy. Navigon is absolutely destroying TomTom and all the other navigation apps in features.

Julien
Sep 16, 2009, 07:02 PM
Just read about it on Gizmodo and can here eagerly expecting a ton of info.:eek: So no info on when?

vertigo235
Sep 16, 2009, 07:33 PM
I gotta say I'm impresed with NAVIGON's programming team, they are seriously grinding out some updates and adding in some features very quickly for their iPhone app.

Contrasting TomTom who boasted over a year ago that they had their software running on the iPhone then took forever to release it once they could.

Ntombi
Sep 16, 2009, 07:49 PM
A one-time fee of $25 is a bargain. I'd even pay $25/year. If this is true, I'm thrilled!

MacRumors
Sep 16, 2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/16/navigon-to-add-live-traffic-data-as-in-app-purchase-for-mobilenavigator/)

CNET reports (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10354874-233.html) that GPS firm Navigon will be releasing a new feature for its MobileNavigator North America [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=321506742&mt=8), $89.99] iPhone application that will add live traffic data to assist users in plotting routes. The add-on will be available beginning next month as a one-time $24.99 in-app purchase, although it will be discounted to $19.99 for the first four weeks of availability.According to Navigon, the new Traffic Live feature will provide precise traffic information by using real-time speed data from over 1 million drivers across North America, including commercial fleets such as trucks and taxis, as well as regular drivers with GPS systems. The feature also uses information from traffic cameras, speed sensors, and conventional traffic messages coming through a radio network.Navigon, which launched (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/22/navigon-offers-full-featured-iphone-gps-navigation-for-a-single-upfront-fee/) its North American iPhone application in late July, and has offered several updates since that time. The most recent update to MobileNavigator North America, released just last week, adds support for full text-to-speech and integrated iPod controls, as well as several other features.

Article Link: Navigon to Add Live Traffic Data as In-App Purchase for MobileNavigator (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/16/navigon-to-add-live-traffic-data-as-in-app-purchase-for-mobilenavigator/)

Randman
Sep 16, 2009, 08:01 PM
With every bit of news, I'm and more and more glad I got Navigon. It's gotten better each and every time.

jsimpson
Sep 16, 2009, 08:04 PM
I read somewhere else it would be 20.00 one time fee for a limited time then it would go up to 25.00. I haven't seen when you could buy it though. I don't see anything in the app at this time for an in app purchase. Does anyone else?
*update* Looks like October
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10354874-233.html

DotComCTO
Sep 16, 2009, 08:27 PM
Bah! That's a bummer right there. I wouldn't have thought that Navigon would go this route for traffic. That said, I'll end up buying it because it's such an important feature. I wonder whether in-app purchases like this transfer to a secondary iPhone? I think the answer is, "no", right?

I also wonder if this is how Navigon will handle the quarterly NAVTEQ updates?

:(

Oh...and two other questions...

Does anyone know where Google Maps sources its traffic data from? I always thought it came from the highway road sensor data, but I don't think that information extends to all the roads that Google Maps reports on. So, there has to be a different source. I wonder whether Navigon and Google are using the same source. I'm curious because I find the Google traffic info reasonably accurate.

I wonder whether Navigon will be polling that traffic data regularly during the drive, or whether it's just a one-time event - like when you're planning your route.

:confused:

--DotComCTO

lordhamster
Sep 16, 2009, 08:55 PM
Finally!!

Lets hope they also include the ability to select roads to avoid and they've got themselves a proper product!

sfditty
Sep 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
If figures. I could have used traffic data last week. I was using the text to speech (I don't have a windshield mount) to navigate from Providence, Rhee to Hartford, Court. Bad accident on the way, wish I had known about it ahead of time.

coolbreeze
Sep 16, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hmm, I'm all about one time fees, but since this is the second fee from navigon, I'm worried about the future... :(

Yes, I'll spring for $19.99, but they are pushing their luck.

3 yrs from now, we may have several hundred invested in GPS apps/addons. This concerns me and brings back the question: are standalone units really cheaper in the long run?

/we'll see.

sl1200mk2
Sep 16, 2009, 09:07 PM
For a one time $20 I'm in. I got Navigon at the discounted rate, so this (for me) is still a good deal.

More info on TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/16/live-traffic-comes-to-mobile-navigator/):

"Navigon has announced that the traffic info, which they call Traffic Live, will be available as an in-app purchase for US$19.99 for the first 4 weeks it is offered, then it will cost $24.99 as a one time purchase with no other month to month service fees."

The system they are describing uses a mix of historical data along with real-time information to calculate the best route. The historical part sounds an awful lot like Tom Tom's IQ routes. Not saying it's better (never used Tom Tom), but seems to have a similar approach.

I love the fact they are just pouring on with the updates and quick releases. Really just about the single best app I've purchased for the iphone ever.

Hawkeye411
Sep 16, 2009, 09:10 PM
I bought CoPilot NA and I'm still waiting for their 1st update!! The maps are more than 4 years old!!

Guess I should have bought Navigon when it first came out and was on sale. Looks like they are working hard to keep their customers happy!

Cheers.

intrepid00
Sep 16, 2009, 09:23 PM
Traffic data is largely supplied by Uncle Sam with some private help because they watch it anyway to direct traffic and plan for it. 20 bucks lifetime for what you can get off the air for free is awesome. TomTom is proably crapping thier pants because they proably want that plus some a year to rehash what's free for them.

vertigo235
Sep 16, 2009, 09:28 PM
Bah! That's a bummer right there. I wouldn't have thought that Navigon would go this route for traffic. That said, I'll end up buying it because it's such an important feature. I wonder whether in-app purchases like this transfer to a secondary iPhone? I think the answer is, "no", right?

I also wonder if this is how Navigon will handle the quarterly NAVTEQ updates?

:(

--DotComCTO

Since it's tied to your itunes account, I would think that it would work just like app purchases, but I've never made an in-app purchase.

I'll let you know as soon as this one comes out! ;) $20 for lifetime access to service like this is an EASY decision.

gloss
Sep 16, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hmm, I'm all about one time fees, but since this is the second fee from navigon, I'm worried about the future... :(

Yes, I'll spring for $19.99, but they are pushing their luck.

3 yrs from now, we may have several hundred invested in GPS apps/addons. This concerns me and brings back the question: are standalone units really cheaper in the long run?

/we'll see.

Standalone units typically charge a monthly fee for traffic.

trainguy77
Sep 16, 2009, 09:35 PM
I wonder if this will be offered for calgary in canada? Alot of companies don't have traffic feeds for us.

IBradMac
Sep 16, 2009, 09:40 PM
I must say I am impressed with Navigon and how they have dealt with their navigation app. Updates, new features etc.....poor ole tomtom.

jlanuez
Sep 16, 2009, 10:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I must say I am impressed with Navigon and how they have dealt with their navigation app. Updates, new features etc.....poor ole tomtom.

Can I "return" my TomTom App for a refund???!!!

I made a mistake, should have gone with Navagon.

TomTom takes yet another blow!

Theraker007
Sep 17, 2009, 01:05 AM
this is welcome news, i got stuck in traffic the other day, woulda been great to have known ahead of time.

i like this app for the most part, but I had a really rough time wit it this weekend in driving into nyc from albany, ny

it kept dropping its signal and one time it did it right b4 i was supposed to get off an exit, and so it annoucned that i should get off the exit after I had passed it, then when it recalculated the route it did so a split second too late that i missed the next exit and it kept doing that until i just got off on my own and sat still while it took all day to get my route fixed.

anyone else having this connection dropping problem?

kugino
Sep 17, 2009, 02:39 AM
I bought CoPilot NA and I'm still waiting for their 1st update!! The maps are more than 4 years old!!

Guess I should have bought Navigon when it first came out and was on sale. Looks like they are working hard to keep their customers happy!

Cheers.

copilot did have an update yesterday...qwerty keyboard being the main thing. i've actually been quite pleased with copilot...and at $35, it's still a great deal. would love TTS more than real-time traffic, though. hope that's in the next update.

navigon's a bit too pricey for me, especially since i have an in-dash nav in one car and a portable garmin for the other...but, it does look like the leader among the iphone nav apps. they seem to be doing a good job.

fpnc
Sep 17, 2009, 03:30 AM
Yes, CoPilot Live just had an update. I'm downloading it now to see if I notice much difference -- it's a 1.2GB update so hopefully they've made some significant improvements. Also, they are now saying that live traffic updates will be available as a premium service (i.e. paid update) this month (they say, "SEPTEMBER").

Firewolve
Sep 17, 2009, 03:31 AM
Real-Time-Traffic will be available mid-October for a one-time fee (no monthly fee!) of $19.99 (in the first four weeks) and $24.99 later. In Europe it'll be €19.99/€24.99.
That's much cheaper than I expected it to be. I thought they won't charge a one-time fee but offer a yearly subscription for $50+.

Press Release (Europe): http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/press/archive/2009/615
cnet: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10354874-233.html

Firewolve
Sep 17, 2009, 03:34 AM
$20/$25 one-time is a fantastic price. I expected them to charge $50+ a year. I think the live services of their PNAs (including parking services) are more than $100 a year (including data).

So we just have to wait another four weeks :-)

BryanLyle
Sep 17, 2009, 05:30 AM
Navigon continues to add new features while TomTom sits there with their mouth shut. Come on TomTom, let us know what you are working on...

prominence
Sep 17, 2009, 07:12 AM
I can't believe it's only $19.99 with no yearly fee!

Granted, it may not be the best, but hey.. for a one-time fee of $19.99 it's definitely worth it, no matter how they implement it into the app.

Any word on how they will do this? I don't have much experience with GPS systems and how they implement traffic into their systems, especially Navigon, as I have only ever owned one Garmin unit and never subscribed to the traffic service.

prominence
Sep 17, 2009, 07:18 AM
And still further ahead than TomTom.. no surprise.

Firewolve
Sep 17, 2009, 07:28 AM
They aggregate TMC Pro (traffic loops etc.), the data of Navigon LIVE users and floating car data.

Tiffy
Sep 17, 2009, 07:48 AM
this is welcome news, i got stuck in traffic the other day, woulda been great to have known ahead of time.

i like this app for the most part, but I had a really rough time wit it this weekend in driving into nyc from albany, ny

it kept dropping its signal and one time it did it right b4 i was supposed to get off an exit, and so it annoucned that i should get off the exit after I had passed it, then when it recalculated the route it did so a split second too late that i missed the next exit and it kept doing that until i just got off on my own and sat still while it took all day to get my route fixed.

anyone else having this connection dropping problem?

Yes, it sometimes happen to me (I have an Iphone 3G). It seems that, when you loose GPS signal, the software has lots of problems to recalculate your position when you are driving at high speeds (seems that 70 kph is a kind of limit...). If your speed is below 70 kph, or better if you just stop your car:D, Navigon has no problem recalculating the position.

I think the processor of the Iphone 3G is sometimes not powerful enough to handle all the calculations required by Navigon (or maybe it's a problem of slow memory allocation). Probably this problem is less frequent for 3GS users.

FearlessFreep
Sep 17, 2009, 08:01 AM
The price point makes sense. How do you increase the reliability of your data in this model? Get more people to use it! That's exactly what this will do.

I am assuming you'll have to accept some sort of 'Terms of Service' to use the Travel Live Service, and that likely includes the app collecting and reporting data on your routes, speed, etc. Interesting to know if it's anonymous or not but some would claim there are privacy issues (of course you don't have to use it).

Scooterman1
Sep 17, 2009, 08:01 AM
I'm waiting on the G-Map version that is coming....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8499271&posted=1#post8499271

m3coolpix
Sep 17, 2009, 08:06 AM
Yet another great update from Navigon on the way. Awesome.

So glad I got in on the original sale. Everyone that did will have a great TBT TTS GPS app on their iPhone and can then add live traffic data for the price it costs now (and both still cheaper than Tom Tom - or should it be Late Late :D).

KO for Navigon against Tom Tom, IMO.

prominence
Sep 17, 2009, 08:19 AM
They aggregate TMC Pro (traffic loops etc.), the data of Navigon LIVE users and floating car data.

Once this is released I will be seeking out congestion, rush-hour traffic and accidents for sure to test it out!

rotlex
Sep 17, 2009, 09:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Can I "return" my TomTom App for a refund???!!!

I made a mistake, should have gone with Navagon.

TomTom takes yet another blow!

Yes, you can. I did it just over a week ago and am very, very happy with the decision.

Xtoo
Sep 17, 2009, 09:57 AM
Beautiful! I will not have to quit Navigon and lunch Google maps to check on traffic anymore. I waited until TomTom released their app and waited even longer for a few hundred reviews to kick in. I am glad I made the right choice, skipped TomTom, purchase Navigon at a discount and now with live traffic!!!

Hawkeye411
Sep 17, 2009, 10:47 AM
copilot did have an update yesterday...qwerty keyboard being the main thing. i've actually been quite pleased with copilot...and at $35, it's still a great deal. would love TTS more than real-time traffic, though. hope that's in the next update.

navigon's a bit too pricey for me, especially since i have an in-dash nav in one car and a portable garmin for the other...but, it does look like the leader among the iphone nav apps. they seem to be doing a good job.

Thanks for the "heads up". I'm downloading it now. Hopefully the maps have been updated.

Cheers.

lordhamster
Sep 17, 2009, 10:56 AM
The funniest part of all of this is that TomTom has been offering an internet based traffic information service for years on all of their units. You simply connected the unit via bluetooth to a cell phone with a data plan and you had all the traffic info right there.

Ironically, they write software for a smartphone where everyone had unlimited data and they leave out that feature!! MORONS.

noTe on iPhone
Sep 17, 2009, 11:04 AM
TomTom also charges a subscription price for the traffic and gas prices.

Garmin does not.. also... the price between the non-lifetime traffic units and lifetime traffic units are around 25-30 dollars. I'm not sure why everyone is complaining, it's a great deal.

lordhamster
Sep 17, 2009, 11:07 AM
TomTom also charges a subscription price for the traffic and gas prices.

Garmin does not.. also... the price between the non-lifetime traffic units and lifetime traffic units are around 25-30 dollars. I'm not sure why everyone is complaining, it's a great deal.

The people who are complaining are those who believe they are entitled to everything in life for free. I have no problem paying $25 for a service that I find is valuable.

dave-tx
Sep 17, 2009, 11:14 AM
Yes, it sometimes happen to me (I have an Iphone 3G). It seems that, when you loose GPS signal, the software has lots of problems to recalculate your position when you are driving at high speeds (seems that 70 kph is a kind of limit...). If your speed is below 70 kph, or better if you just stop your car:D, Navigon has no problem recalculating the position.

I think the processor of the Iphone 3G is sometimes not powerful enough to handle all the calculations required by Navigon (or maybe it's a problem of slow memory allocation). Probably this problem is less frequent for 3GS users.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was frustrated this morning when tooling down the highway at high speed and my GPS wouldn't re-acquire. This would explain it.

VenusianSky
Sep 17, 2009, 11:45 AM
Really glad I went with Navigon over Tom Tom. Seems like Navigon is staying on top of development with their iPhone product much better than Tom Tom. Well, at least they aren't being all secretive.

appleguru1
Sep 17, 2009, 12:13 PM
Does navigon let you view a *list* of directions yet?

MacTribune
Sep 17, 2009, 12:14 PM
It would be a treat to get live traffic updates. The price of the additional in-app purchase is easily justifiable granted that other GPS receivers charge for that service on a monthly or subscription basis. I just hope this does not turn into historical data retrieval which would be completely useless in my case and in my opinion. I already know the 405 in the LA area is a crawl... but it would be nice to know LIVE if it opens up for a bit so I could hop on the freeway instead of dealing with completely unsynchronized traffic light system... :cool:

YHSUN
Sep 17, 2009, 01:12 PM
I am glad that I choose Navigon rather than TomTom. I will purchase the add on when it come out next month.

I am, however, worry about the battery drain issue. I took a 25 miles trip last week using the app without a car charger. This short trip used ~ 30% of the battery power.

abbstrack
Sep 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
I am glad that I choose Navigon rather than TomTom. I will purchase the add on when it come out next month.

I am, however, worry about the battery drain issue. I took a 25 miles trip last week using the app without a car charger. This short trip used ~ 30% of the battery power.

i think the lesson here is buy a charger. the iphone is already not known for it's battery life, and using a heavy app such as navigon is only going to contribute to that...

save yourself the frustration and buy a charger.

Sep 17, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm assuming that if you subscribe to this that navigon ewill use the traffic information to provide you the best route. Is it a given that it willdo this or am i just gonna get traffic information for my $25.

sleepingworker
Sep 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
With every bit of news, I'm and more and more glad I got Navigon. It's gotten better each and every time.

Me too. I'm so happy that I bought Navigon over Tom Tom when I was deciding a few weeks ago. I have loved using it but hope that Navigon improves the readability of street names in the next update.

I might have to get Tom Tom for Europe but would rather stay with Navigon at this point.

Ntombi
Sep 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm assuming that if you subscribe to this that navigon ewill use the traffic information to provide you the best route. Is it a given that it willdo this or am i just gonna get traffic information for my $25.
From the press release (http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/press/archive/2009/615):

The device continually takes traffic reports into account for navigation, both when planning a route and during the journey. "In this way, not only does the driver receive an up-to-the-minute route recommendation, but, because traffic reports are updated at intervals of just a few minutes, the driver can also respond to queues en route much faster than with conventional, radio-transmitted traffic information and select a different route in good time."
[snip]
NAVIGON Traffic Live users are informed immediately in such cases and are able to navigate according to the traffic situation. In the event of a traffic jam the MobileNavigator software displays a warning; in addition, Traffic Live supplies detailed information about the nature of the congestion and indicates whether or not the traffic has come to a standstill. On the basis of this information the driver can calculate a congestion-free route or else, if the obstacle is temporary or the queue is short, opt to stay on the selected route. If required, all this will also function fully automatically. "Traffic Live provides a clear overview in real time, but lets the driver decide. If the driver chooses an alternative route, the device displays the updated time of arrival and distance," says Gerhard Mayr.

Sounds like it's going to work just the way I was hoping. :D

And, according to the press release, NAVIGON Traffic Live is "faster and more exact than TMC (Traffic Message Channel)," which is the system they use in their stand-alone units. So I'm even more firm in my statement that $25 is a bargain.

kingtj
Sep 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
Not sure about this? I did a Google search on TMC and GPS, and an article on TMC I read mentioned that TomTom used bluetooth to download traffic data from an Inrix database, which is the same database they broadcast out over the FM radio Traffic Message Channel.

And, according to the press release, NAVIGON Traffic Live is "faster and more exact than TMC (Traffic Message Channel)," which is the system they use in their stand-alone units. So I'm even more firm in my statement that $25 is a bargain.

dave-tx
Sep 17, 2009, 03:10 PM
Does navigon let you view a *list* of directions yet?

You mean like previewing your itinerary? That's my #1 request, too.

d21mike
Sep 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Just got it and first short trip was very accurate. I have a 3gs.

ddrueckhammer
Sep 17, 2009, 04:42 PM
I have both Navigon and TomTom and have been using Navigon more lately because of the TTS and other features it has over TomTom even though there are a couple of things I like on TomTom better.

Traffic is awesome and a $25 one time fee should be making TomTom quake in their boots since they were probably planning a yearly fee.

I have had a couple of problems with Navigon though. Their POI database is terribly lacking. For instance, here in Florida there is a chain of Grocery Stores called Sweet Bay that used to be called Kash 'N Karry. They haven't been called that for years but the POI database still calls them that. This combined with the fact that I haven't been able to find several newer restaurants makes me think that they haven't updated their database in my area for several years. I am aware of the search problems in Navigon's POI but even when I put the correct City I still can't find some newer places... I wish they would just implement Google search and scrap the POI database...

Also, I have in several instances tried to import an address from my address book and been sent to the center of the zip code. The addresses were correct and included the zip but they just didn't import correctly.

Overall, despite these hitches I would say that they have soundly beat TomTom even though I like the choice of voices, map colors, navigation options, better Maps/POIs in my area, clearer maps IMO, IQRoutes etc. on TomTom. Navigon's TTS, Traffic, iPod integration, etc. are very important features and Reality View, and Turn Assistance are just icing on the cake.

m3coolpix
Sep 17, 2009, 05:14 PM
I think Navigon understood the iPhone game way before they pulled their stand alone units from the US market....and redirected the R & D team to the iPhone software.

Now, we're (just as much as they are) seeing the benefits of that decision with the quick and awesome updates...Tom Tom's complete fumble on every front for the iPhone has just added to Navigon's userbase....TT will likely never see the majority of those customers come back again even if they catch up or drop their prices.....

JMHO.

slffl
Sep 17, 2009, 06:13 PM

Too bad they don't even sell their PNDs in North America anymore.

fpnc
Sep 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
Just a quick note about the recent CoPilot Live GPS app update. They added live, real-time gas station pricing (free feature in the latest CoPilot update) and they made a fair number of changes to the GUI (most of which seem to be improvements over an already quite usable system) and they now support lots of new voices in many different languages.

They've also promised live traffic updates by the end of the month (September) -- although those will apparently be a payed, premium service. As for their map "updates," the two deficiencies that I had previously discovered are still there (one in an east coast neighborhood, the other on the west coast), so it looks like there are still some problems in their map database.

Still, for $35 (U.S.) it's a pretty good deal and something to consider if you're put off by the approximately $100 pricing for both TomTom and Navigon. Frankly, I think those prices will come down as the competition heats up and people begin to realize that a stand-alone GPS is a better deal over the prices that TomTom and Navigon are asking. One reason for that is I'm not sure that the iPhone's GPS is good enough to be used as a turn-by-turn navigator.

Ntombi
Sep 17, 2009, 08:02 PM
Not sure about this? I did a Google search on TMC and GPS, and an article on TMC I read mentioned that TomTom used bluetooth to download traffic data from an Inrix database, which is the same database they broadcast out over the FM radio Traffic Message Channel.
Yes, but, again, according to the press release:

the driver can also respond to queues en route much faster than with conventional, radio-transmitted traffic information and select a different route in good time." The Traffic Live service is available in 14 European countries1 as well as North America.

NAVIGON Traffic Live: faster and more exact than TMC (Traffic Message Channel)
The service is based on a data pool which, in addition to real-time information from traffic loops, for example, also incorporates data from NAVIGON Live users and from fleet car partners (Floating Car Data). "If figures indicate that the average speed of a given number of vehicles on a motorway, say, has fallen to the level of urban traffic, it can be assumed that there is an increased volume of traffic, and when the speed falls below a defined limit you can expect congestion. This intelligence is in the background of our Traffic Live technology, invisible to the user," explains Gerhard Mayr.

I'm guessing that the FM transmission is on a loop of some sort, and that it takes longer to get up to date. What I'm understanding is that the way it will work on the iPhone is by using the radio transmitters, but also connecting to internet databases that are updated more often. I may be reading it wrong, but that's what I get from the whole explanation.

Either way, I'm happy to get some sort of up to the minute traffic information.

Tiffy
Sep 18, 2009, 04:53 AM
Yes, but, again, according to the press release:

the driver can also respond to queues en route much faster than with conventional, radio-transmitted traffic information and select a different route in good time." The Traffic Live service is available in 14 European countries1 as well as North America.

NAVIGON Traffic Live: faster and more exact than TMC (Traffic Message Channel)
The service is based on a data pool which, in addition to real-time information from traffic loops, for example, also incorporates data from NAVIGON Live users and from fleet car partners (Floating Car Data). "If figures indicate that the average speed of a given number of vehicles on a motorway, say, has fallen to the level of urban traffic, it can be assumed that there is an increased volume of traffic, and when the speed falls below a defined limit you can expect congestion. This intelligence is in the background of our Traffic Live technology, invisible to the user," explains Gerhard Mayr.

I'm guessing that the FM transmission is on a loop of some sort, and that it takes longer to get up to date. What I'm understanding is that the way it will work on the iPhone is by using the radio transmitters, but also connecting to internet databases that are updated more often. I may be reading it wrong, but that's what I get from the whole explanation.

Either way, I'm happy to get some sort of up to the minute traffic information.

My understanding is that servers managed by Navigon will aggregate data coming from traffic loops, Navigon live users and floating car, process it in order to obtain the more accurate view of the traffic conditions possible and then send the result to the Iphones via internet. But how ? Via push or will Navigon query the servers every minute ? Push is probably technically better, but then how will Navigon know which information is relevant for each user (it is obviously not necessary to send information about a traffic jam in Florida if the user is in New-York...) ?

Goona
Sep 18, 2009, 06:34 AM
Will the TomTom kit work with Navigon?

Sep 18, 2009, 07:56 AM
From the press release (http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/press/archive/2009/615):

The device continually takes traffic reports into account for navigation, both when planning a route and during the journey. "In this way, not only does the driver receive an up-to-the-minute route recommendation, but, because traffic reports are updated at intervals of just a few minutes, the driver can also respond to queues en route much faster than with conventional, radio-transmitted traffic information and select a different route in good time."
[snip]
NAVIGON Traffic Live users are informed immediately in such cases and are able to navigate according to the traffic situation. In the event of a traffic jam the MobileNavigator software displays a warning; in addition, Traffic Live supplies detailed information about the nature of the congestion and indicates whether or not the traffic has come to a standstill. On the basis of this information the driver can calculate a congestion-free route or else, if the obstacle is temporary or the queue is short, opt to stay on the selected route. If required, all this will also function fully automatically. "Traffic Live provides a clear overview in real time, but lets the driver decide. If the driver chooses an alternative route, the device displays the updated time of arrival and distance," says Gerhard Mayr.

Sounds like it's going to work just the way I was hoping. :D

Thanks for that news. I loved my tomtom stand alon gps and was trying to wait for their gps. I got tired of waiting and the lack of communication from the company so i went with Navigon. I gotta say given the app itself and the updates and this coming traffic service not only did i make the right decision but I my iphone navigon app has surpassed my old Tomtom.

lordhamster
Sep 18, 2009, 09:24 AM

TMC is quite limited due to the medium. TMC information is transmitted over certain FM radio channels in an area using the same RDC technology that allows some car stereos to see the station names. The problem is, the data packet is very limited. There is a limit of "incidents" and how much detail can be reported about each one.

If you look at some of the mapping providers or even inrix's website itself, you'll see that much more data is available... its just that not all of that can be transmitted over TMC.

jmpage2
Sep 18, 2009, 11:02 PM
This is definitely huge. The only remaining thing for Navigon to implement (other than periodic map/data updates) would be itenerary planning, including turn by turn directions listed out for a given route and the ability to regenerate the route while avoiding certain bad streets/roads, etc.

I have been extremely pleased with Navigon but it let me down in a major way today. My wife and I were in Estes Park, Colorado and needed to get to a medical appointment in Highlands Ranch. I punched it into Navigon a couple of times to estimate my trip time and each time it insisted that I take Highway 34 East to I-25 and then take that all the way south to my destination.

Anyone familiar with the area would know that it is far, FAR shorter to simply take Highway 36 down to E-470 and over, it is literally about 10 miles shorter that way.

Like an idiot I listened to Navigon to see if it knew something I didn't and what should have been a 1:45 hour trip turned into a 2:30 hour trip as I got caught in traffic, etc, not to mention the much longer route.

Hopefully the inclusion of traffic will alleviate some of these bad routing choices but we also need the ability to generate an alternate route choice as well as exclude certain problem roads/highways from the routing choice.

ksmith80209
Sep 18, 2009, 11:33 PM
Anyone familiar with the area would know that it is far, FAR shorter to simply take Highway 36 down to E-470 and over, it is literally about 10 miles shorter that way.

Like an idiot I listened to Navigon to see if it knew something I didn't and what should have been a 1:45 hour trip turned into a 2:30 hour trip as I got caught in traffic, etc, not to mention the much longer route.

Hopefully the inclusion of traffic will alleviate some of these bad routing choices but we also need the ability to generate an alternate route choice as well as exclude certain problem roads/highways from the routing choice.

E-470 is a toll road in parts - are you sure it wasn't set to "avoid toll roads"?

ddrueckhammer
Sep 19, 2009, 12:31 AM
This is definitely huge. The only remaining thing for Navigon to implement (other than periodic map/data updates) would be itenerary planning, including turn by turn directions listed out for a given route and the ability to regenerate the route while avoiding certain bad streets/roads, etc.

I have been extremely pleased with Navigon but it let me down in a major way today. My wife and I were in Estes Park, Colorado and needed to get to a medical appointment in Highlands Ranch. I punched it into Navigon a couple of times to estimate my trip time and each time it insisted that I take Highway 34 East to I-25 and then take that all the way south to my destination.

That is actually one of the things that TomTom has an advantage in right now. Being able to say you want to avoid any road on the given route is extremely helpful. Too bad TomTom doesn't have TTS, the nice smooth predictive tracking of Navigon, and won't have traffic any time soon or I would use it.

Mlrollin91
Sep 19, 2009, 12:45 AM
I didn't read through all three pages of posts, but I contacted Itunes and asked them about in App purchases. THe purchase will be transferred to itunes through the account and you can install that on any other device that has your account, so yes in app purchases made once can transfer over to up to 5 phones with the application. Sounds good to me!

Gav2k
Sep 19, 2009, 03:42 AM

The price point makes sense. How do you increase the reliability of your data in this model? Get more people to use it! That's exactly what this will do.

I am assuming you'll have to accept some sort of 'Terms of Service' to use the Travel Live Service, and that likely includes the app collecting and reporting data on your routes, speed, etc. Interesting to know if it's anonymous or not but some would claim there are privacy issues (of course you don't have to use it).

Do a hard reboot before launching navigon. You'll find it solves this issue. It's not the app it's the crappy memory allocation on the phone.

BriGuy20
Sep 19, 2009, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know where Google Maps sources its traffic data from? I always thought it came from the highway road sensor data, but I don't think that information extends to all the roads that Google Maps reports on. So, there has to be a different source. I wonder whether Navigon and Google are using the same source. I'm curious because I find the Google traffic info reasonably accurate.

I read that Google is now going to aggregate data from opted-in sources (i.e. cellphones) that have its Google Maps service to add traffic to other roads (such as major non-highway roads). Not sure if this has been implemented yet.

trainguy77
Sep 19, 2009, 10:48 AM
That is actually one of the things that TomTom has an advantage in right now. Being able to say you want to avoid any road on the given route is extremely helpful. Too bad TomTom doesn't have TTS, the nice smooth predictive tracking of Navigon, and won't have traffic any time soon or I would use it.

Its only a matter of time before its added to Navigon. At the current rate we will have that before christmas.

jmpage2
Sep 19, 2009, 09:27 PM
E-470 is a toll road in parts - are you sure it wasn't set to "avoid toll roads"?

Sorry. I meant 470 west which is not a toll road.

Cousin Dirk
Sep 20, 2009, 02:57 PM
Interesting.

I've still not taken the plunge in the turn-by-turn GPS App stakes yet, as although Navigon seems to have more features than TomTom I'm not currently convinced that it can outperform TomTom in the UK.

Snide
Sep 21, 2009, 12:53 PM

Under Route Profile, make sure it's set for Short and not Fastest or Optimum (whatever that means).

mrjayd
Sep 21, 2009, 03:21 PM
Ever since the last update for the street names, every time I enter a destination or even when I choose the "take me home" option, it keeps prompting me to turn off on every single exit. When I pass the upcoming exit it tells me to take the next one and so on. Anyone else seeing this?

dontwalkhand
Sep 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
Ever since the last update for the street names, every time I enter a destination or even when I choose the "take me home" option, it keeps prompting me to turn off on every single exit. When I pass the upcoming exit it tells me to take the next one and so on. Anyone else seeing this?
Did you make sure highways are enabled

mrjayd
Sep 21, 2009, 04:09 PM
That was set to forbid. What does that do because it worked fine before the update and it was set the same way.

Did you make sure highways are enabled

ptackbar
Sep 21, 2009, 04:23 PM
That was set to forbid. What does that do because it worked fine before the update and it was set the same way.

I've had a similar thing happen to me and I believe it was due to an app update. Going from 1.0 to 1.1 switched my highways preference to "avoid".

Going from 1.1 to 1.2 I didn't have that problem, though.

twoodcc
Sep 21, 2009, 06:04 PM
wow, now this seems nice. i wonder how well the traffic would work though

jmpage2
Sep 22, 2009, 06:06 PM
wow, now this seems nice. i wonder how well the traffic would work though

If they use all of the data sources they mention, which include other users of the application relaying their speed and route information back anonymously, it has the potential to work very very well.

The primary problem with most traffic services are the huge delay times between when accidents/jam-ups happen, the data gets updated to a server somewhere and then get re-propogated over cryptic technology such as traffic bands on FM radio.

The Navigon application could shave minutes off of this process which makes the traffic data more relevant.

It also means that when your route is being calculated it will not only look at the traffic conditions now, it will take into account what they historically are going to be like at specific times on specific routes, so that it doesn't send you down a highway that is currently clear but is scheduled for back up city ever day at 4pm.

lordhamster
Sep 22, 2009, 07:35 PM
Under Route Profile, make sure it's set for Short and not Fastest or Optimum (whatever that means).

You've got it backwards. You absolutely want the option set to Fastest or Optimum. (Fastest is probably your safest best).

The shortest trip from LA to Chicago for example may take many side roads and avoid highways altogether.

Shortest = Least miles
Fastest = Least Travel Time.

trainguy77
Sep 22, 2009, 08:58 PM
You've got it backwards. You absolutely want the option set to Fastest or Optimum. (Fastest is probably your safest best).

The shortest trip from LA to Chicago for example may take many side roads and avoid highways altogether.

Shortest = Least miles
Fastest = Least Travel Time.

I thought fastest was highest average speed. Then optimum would be shortest time. Navigon needs to clarify this. As I am only guessing....:confused:

lordhamster
Sep 22, 2009, 09:45 PM
I thought fastest was highest average speed. Then optimum would be shortest time. Navigon needs to clarify this. As I am only guessing....:confused:

Navigon clarifies this in their manuals for their other products, but this is true of most GPS units out there.

Shortest = Shortest Distance. Only good if you are trying to plot the shortest point A to B route. Can be much longer time-wise.

Fastest = Shortest Travel time. This is the best default choice IMO.

Optimized = Hybrid. Optimized is close to fastest, but it also figures in some other factors which may make the route more pleasant. I think things like # of left turns, amount of time on the highway etc are figured in here.

I just plotted several routes I'm very familiar with in Navigon. I have to say the best results came when I selected "Fast" as the route type. Optimum isn't so optimum on the Navigon IMO.

Vinny1967
Sep 23, 2009, 01:58 AM
Optimised I believe is as follows.
The fastest route from A to B may take 40 minutes and cover 30 miles.
The optimum route from A to B would take say 42 minutes but only cover 20 miles. If the time difference is negligable but the distance isn't it will take this route.

Navigon quote this: 'Your route is calculated as the most efficient combination of the shortest and the fastest path, allowing you to minimise fuel consumption and therefore CO2 emmisions'.

lordhamster
Sep 23, 2009, 07:56 AM
Optimised I believe is as follows.
The fastest route from A to B may take 40 minutes and cover 30 miles.
The optimum route from A to B would take say 42 minutes but only cover 20 miles. If the time difference is negligable but the distance isn't it will take this route.

Navigon quote this: 'Your route is calculated as the most efficient combination of the shortest and the fastest path, allowing you to minimise fuel consumption and therefore CO2 emmisions'.

I think you are right Vinny. I remember reading something along those lines back in my old Navigon PND manual. In any case, In my area I've found the optimum routes are a little strange at times.

Also, it seems like the Navigon on the iPhone remembers the last setting used... so some users may have experiencing problems if they previously chose "shortest" route.

trainguy77
Sep 23, 2009, 01:10 PM
I just asked on facebook and here is the answer:

Could we have an explanation on the "fast, optimum, short" route types? I haven't seen any documentation on this. Is fast as in speed limits or time?
Yesterday at 8:04pm · Comment · Like · Report

NAVIGON Fast is the fastest route in time, short is the shortest route in distance and optimum is the best route between fast and short.
4 hours ago · Report

Ntombi
Sep 23, 2009, 02:57 PM
Navigon quote this: 'Your route is calculated as the most efficient combination of the shortest and the fastest path, allowing you to minimise fuel consumption and therefore CO2 emmisions'.I like that as an option.

I just asked on facebook and here is the answer:
And I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating: I really like how responsive Navigon is.

Still waiting anxiously for traffic, and then route list w/opt out option, and the app will be complete. :D

trainguy77
Sep 23, 2009, 03:39 PM
I like that as an option.

And I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating: I really like how responsive Navigon is.

Its true. You can get answers over facebook in less then 24 hours! :D

aluren
Oct 9, 2009, 06:57 PM
It's October. When is this coming out??

jamespa66
Oct 21, 2009, 11:41 AM
It's October. When is this coming out??

Looks like we are still waiting, this would be a very nice feature to have.

countrydweller
Oct 21, 2009, 01:49 PM
Looks like we are still waiting, this would be a very nice feature to have.

Maybe on All Hallows Eve, then we can find out where all the action is. :)

trainguy77
Oct 21, 2009, 02:37 PM
The European version was submitted thursday of last week. I don't know if the north american version is submitted yet but they have said it would come shortly after. So we are waiting on apple.

jamespa66
Oct 21, 2009, 04:52 PM
The European version was submitted thursday of last week. I don't know if the north american version is submitted yet but they have said it would come shortly after. So we are waiting on apple.

How many times have we heard that answer :rolleyes:

Thanks!

danand725
Oct 24, 2009, 01:55 AM
The Navigon facebook page is a really good place to get information from Navigon. There's pictures of the latest update here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/navigon/sets/72157622402401892/

Enjoy. I can't wait!

prominence
Oct 30, 2009, 04:15 PM
They still haven't even submitted the North American update for approval yet... as soon as they do, could be up to an additional 2 weeks of waiting for Apple to approve..

Seems like Navigon dropped the ball on this one, considering how the majority of iPhone business is in the US currently, why would they not focus efforts in North America for first country to release?

Not that other countries aren't important. We have nukes, I'm just sayin'. :)

danand725
Oct 30, 2009, 04:27 PM
why would they not focus efforts in North America for first country to release?

Because they are a German company? that said, most of us are waiting for the traffic update. Navigon say timelines have slipped and they want to release a quality product. Rest assured, when it arrives (after Apple spend a month reviewing it), it will be excellent.

Patience.

Tiffy
Nov 4, 2009, 04:19 AM
The European 1.3 version (with traffic info) is now available, at least on the UK & French App Store.

I am downloading it and will test asap...

chimpboy74
Nov 9, 2009, 10:49 AM
There are some grumbles starting to appear over on navigons facebook page that traffic (in those countries that are currently live) is only for highways. Not sure if that will be much use to anyone. I certainly won't pay £15 for it if that is indeed true.

Mlrollin91
Nov 9, 2009, 10:56 AM
The European 1.3 version (with traffic info) is now available, at least on the UK & French App Store.

I am downloading it and will test asap...

It's been out for the european version for almost 2 weeks now. On twitter they said that they have had a few problems processing the update, they are working it out and will submit it.

chimpboy74
Nov 9, 2009, 02:20 PM
There are some grumbles starting to appear over on navigons facebook page that traffic (in those countries that are currently live) is only for highways. Not sure if that will be much use to anyone. I certainly won't pay £15 for it if that is indeed true.

Navigon have posted a comprehensive answer surrounding how traffic will work:

Regarding to all of your questions, here are some information on our Traffic Live services: Traffic Live blends seamlessly into MobileNavigator with easy to read displays and simple to use menus. The software automatically includes traffic information when calculating a route, and drivers receive immediate on-screen alerts to new incidents and congestion as they occur.
The NAVIGON MobileNavigator display also provides detailed information regarding the severity of the incident and the speed of traffic flow.

Our Provider INRIX uniquely aggregates and intelligently combines real-time traffic speed information from hundreds of thousands of GPS-enabled commercial vehicles, GPS-enabled consumer vehicles and mobile devices, and traditional road sensors in Europe.
Unlike with TMC or TMC Pro, the information is given in real time. We receive this information from various sources, such as NAVIGON Live users and various floating car partners (Floating Car Data). This enables us to find out further details in addition to the traffic reports, such as the current traffic flow speed on motorways and main roads, and to continually receive current, reliable and accurate information on the traffic conditions.
The real-time data comes from a combination of several valid sources. For example, we also work with various floating car partners. These partners also give us information on the current traffic flow speed. Combined with additional traffic data sources (sensors) providing traffic reports, this provides us with extremely reliable data that offer users real added value.

The service is actually available in following countries: Belgium, Germany, France, Finland, Norway, Netherlands, Austria and Sweden. Switzerland, UK, Spain, Italy will follow asap. It will not be necessary to install the service again, the countries will be supplemented automatically as soon as the service is available.
Regarding Traffic Service in France:

INRIX covers more than 300.000km of the French road network.
Coverage includes Autoroutes, Routes Nationales, a selection of Routes Départementales and Urbaines (most of them with inner city coverage).

johnntd
Nov 9, 2009, 06:24 PM
Has anyone downloaded it yet? Can't wait to go home to download it.

Navigon have posted a comprehensive answer surrounding how traffic will work:

Regarding to all of your questions, here are some information on our Traffic Live services: Traffic Live blends seamlessly into MobileNavigator with easy to read displays and simple to use menus. The software automatically includes traffic information when calculating a route, and drivers receive immediate on-screen alerts to new incidents and congestion as they occur.
The NAVIGON MobileNavigator display also provides detailed information regarding the severity of the incident and the speed of traffic flow.

Our Provider INRIX uniquely aggregates and intelligently combines real-time traffic speed information from hundreds of thousands of GPS-enabled commercial vehicles, GPS-enabled consumer vehicles and mobile devices, and traditional road sensors in Europe.
Unlike with TMC or TMC Pro, the information is given in real time. We receive this information from various sources, such as NAVIGON Live users and various floating car partners (Floating Car Data). This enables us to find out further details in addition to the traffic reports, such as the current traffic flow speed on motorways and main roads, and to continually receive current, reliable and accurate information on the traffic conditions.
The real-time data comes from a combination of several valid sources. For example, we also work with various floating car partners. These partners also give us information on the current traffic flow speed. Combined with additional traffic data sources (sensors) providing traffic reports, this provides us with extremely reliable data that offer users real added value.

The service is actually available in following countries: Belgium, Germany, France, Finland, Norway, Netherlands, Austria and Sweden. Switzerland, UK, Spain, Italy will follow asap. It will not be necessary to install the service again, the countries will be supplemented automatically as soon as the service is available.
Regarding Traffic Service in France:

INRIX covers more than 300.000km of the French road network.
Coverage includes Autoroutes, Routes Nationales, a selection of Routes Départementales and Urbaines (most of them with inner city coverage).

jamespa66
Nov 9, 2009, 06:54 PM
Has anyone downloaded it yet? Can't wait to go home to download it.

It's just finishing installing then going to do the in app purchase for the traffic data. I'll let you know how it performed after my drive home.

jamespa66
Nov 9, 2009, 09:19 PM
It's just finishing installing then going to do the in app purchase for the traffic data. I'll let you know how it performed after my drive home.

App loaded up no problems in app purchase worked.
No traffic like normal on the way home from work so no idea if the live traffic data works or not.

jamespa66
Nov 10, 2009, 09:21 AM
App loaded up no problems in app purchase worked.
No traffic like normal on the way home from work so no idea if the live traffic data works or not.

Had some heavy traffic this am on my way into work did a great job of routing me around it.

MBHockey
Nov 10, 2009, 09:45 AM
Had some heavy traffic this am on my way into work did a great job of routing me around it.

Does it allow you to see the route that it's going to use around the traffic? Or do you have to just follow it blindly like its regular navigation?

I love Navigon, but the lack of a routing list is absurd.

rotlex
Nov 10, 2009, 10:07 AM
Does it allow you to see the route that it's going to use around the traffic? Or do you have to just follow it blindly like its regular navigation?

I love Navigon, but the lack of a routing list is absurd.

Be interested to know this too. It is the single biggest black mark on this product for me. I have also never seen Navigon post any info on whether or not a route list is EVER going to be added to the product.

jamespa66
Nov 10, 2009, 10:22 AM
Be interested to know this too. It is the single biggest black mark on this product for me. I have also never seen Navigon post any info on whether or not a route list is EVER going to be added to the product.

Did not notice the ability to view the route, it did say it was recalculating due to traffic and I did follow the new route. Traffic was to heavy to really play much. If I get the chance will try to be the passenger and play a bit more with out causing a wreck.

LincolnsiPod
Nov 21, 2009, 08:22 PM
Regarding Live Traffic, how does Navigon get the updates? Is it via the Internet?

wwchris
Nov 21, 2009, 09:17 PM
Well, I downloaded navigon and got the traffic expansion and I have to say I'm unimpressed.I have a normal route I travel to work everyday. I can go back roads or over the highway. The highway is 1-2 minutes shorter if there is NO traffic. Navigon wanted to direct me onto the highway even though I could see from the overpass the highway was at a standstill for at least a mile and google maps showed it at a standstill for 5 miles. It would have taken me an additional 20-30 minutes via the highway but that was the direction Navigon wanted to send me. It has done that everyday (as that road almost always is congested in the mornings).

I also own co-pilot and it is missing all kinds of addresses so I don't use it.

Ugh, I'm loathe to say I still use the TomTom app because it always has the addresses and the best routes. I hate the way it handles audio by stopping the music from my ipod. The new street name voice audio only happens on the final notification as you are just about to turn on the street instead of a mile down the road (need way more heads up). The new ipod controls don't let you control playlists or songs, it is simply the same controls you get when you double tap the home button.

Man, when is someone going to combine the good elements. Also, what is the freakin difficulty for these companies to give me a downloadable manual that explains the difference between "optimal" and "fast" routes or how live traffic makes decisions on when to reroute? I mean seriously, a $35- $100 app with no manual? We have facebook support? Really? Only 24 hours to answer my question that explains what should have been in a simple manual? Awesome. How have these become international companies?

LincolnsiPod
Nov 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
For what it's worth CoPilot has an extensive manual here: http://guide.copilotlive.net/doku.php

I don't get their map issue at all, it's almost like they started out with maps dated 50 years ago. Still, they're the app I'll purchase because Navigon does not offer 2 simple things: the ability to preview routes and customize accordingly and the ability to enter coordinates (latitude and longitude), something I desperately need for geocaching and other reasons. Complete utter FAIL on their part.

So, I'll give CoPilot a try and if they can't wing it, it's off to buy a dedicated Garmin unit.

acousticbiker
Nov 22, 2009, 09:38 AM
Well, I downloaded navigon and got the traffic expansion and I have to say I'm unimpressed.I have a normal route I travel to work everyday. I can go back roads or over the highway. The highway is 1-2 minutes shorter if there is NO traffic. Navigon wanted to direct me onto the highway even though I could see from the overpass the highway was at a standstill for at least a mile and google maps showed it at a standstill for 5 miles. It would have taken me an additional 20-30 minutes via the highway but that was the direction Navigon wanted to send me. It has done that everyday (as that road almost always is congested in the mornings).

I also own co-pilot and it is missing all kinds of addresses so I don't use it.

Ugh, I'm loathe to say I still use the TomTom app because it always has the addresses and the best routes. I hate the way it handles audio by stopping the music from my ipod. The new street name voice audio only happens on the final notification as you are just about to turn on the street instead of a mile down the road (need way more heads up). The new ipod controls don't let you control playlists or songs, it is simply the same controls you get when you double tap the home button.

Man, when is someone going to combine the good elements. Also, what is the freakin difficulty for these companies to give me a downloadable manual that explains the difference between "optimal" and "fast" routes or how live traffic makes decisions on when to reroute? I mean seriously, a $35- $100 app with no manual? We have facebook support? Really? Only 24 hours to answer my question that explains what should have been in a simple manual? Awesome. How have these become international companies?

I've found that Navigon takes up to a minute to incorporate traffic info into a route (the initial route will pop-up and then later, a voice says that the route is being re-calculated due to traffic conditions). Just wanted to mention that in case you hadn't noticed or had a chance to wait for Navigon to retrieve the traffic info online (happens after routing, not incorporated in the initial routing)

stockscalper
Nov 22, 2009, 07:12 PM
I've found that Navigon takes up to a minute to incorporate traffic info into a route (the initial route will pop-up and then later, a voice says that the route is being re-calculated due to traffic conditions). Just wanted to mention that in case you hadn't noticed or had a chance to wait for Navigon to retrieve the traffic info online (happens after routing, not incorporated in the initial routing)

That's because it downloads the traffic information from inrix via your cell phone's data connection. The maps are stored in the phone and routes are calculated before the traffic data has been downloaded.

LincolnsiPod
Nov 22, 2009, 08:10 PM
You I know, I really want to purchase Navigon, I really do. But see, they omit one glaring thing, which is the ability to enter coordinates by latitude and longitude, something I desperately needed for geocaching and a few other reasons.

Really Navigon, omit a basic feature that every other GPS app on the #^&ing planet has? Brilliant.

BiggyG
Nov 23, 2009, 03:28 AM
Navigon say the service is live in the UK. No it is not. All I get when I go to the traffic screen is an "offline" message, and it shows no traffic, when I'm clearly sat in it. I've paid £14.99 for an addition that is not live yet.

Any other UK users get the same problem?

jclaydon
Nov 23, 2009, 08:03 AM
Navigon say the service is live in the UK. No it is not. All I get when I go to the traffic screen is an "offline" message, and it shows no traffic, when I'm clearly sat in it. I've paid £14.99 for an addition that is not live yet.

Any other UK users get the same problem?

I didn't think traffic for the UK has been launched yet. I've got the British Isles version and it's certainly not been available to buy.

Gav2k
Nov 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
As above traffic isn't live in the uk yet. Should be this week though as they did say novmber

Gav2k
Nov 23, 2009, 09:02 AM
I see what u might have done now. You have purchased the Europe edition of navigon which does have the live traffic. But if you read the details for it it does say that live traffic isn't avalible in the uk yet. So ur ok if you hop on a ferry but for now not In the uk.

dagomike
Nov 23, 2009, 02:34 PM

Traffic can be fluid, and this is the weakness in traffic data. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes or more to register and maybe longer to get through the system. It depends where you live, as I'm sure larger metro areas have better real-time traffic.

Also, NAVGION only tells you if the delay adds more than 10 minutes on your route. With the most current data available, your route may have been still acceptable.