PDA

View Full Version : What browser do you use?

Jalexster
Jul 8, 2004, 03:37 PM
I'm currently using Nintendo Firepig, but I'm thinking of changing to Sony Waterwhale, MacSoft Webwolf or Mozilla Powerunicorn. (This is not a joke)

What do you guys think? Should I stay with Firepig, or change?

And don't forget to post what browser you use. I'd also like someone to try and figure out where I got these names from. They are real browsers, in a way...

King Cobra
Jul 8, 2004, 04:18 PM
You got the names from here (http://www.cosmicat.com/software/firesomething/).

I use Mozilla 1.6, as it works fairly well, has lots of features, is fast in terms of browsing (which is what matters), and is highly stable.

Jalexster
Jul 8, 2004, 04:25 PM
I didn't expect somone to find it that quick. Oh well, spoils the fun. Because now people who don't know about Firesomething, will not be confused.

Yep, I'm a Firefox user. 0.9.1. Plenty of useful Extensions installed.
For Firesomething though, I'm having trouble thinking of company names, would I get some ideas? I've got Mozilla, Microsoft, Apple, MacSoft, Sony and Nintendo.

King Cobra
Jul 8, 2004, 04:57 PM
I'm having trouble thinking of company names, would I get some ideas? I've got Mozilla, Microsoft, Apple, MacSoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Sweet, here we go in random order:

Adobe
Symmantec
Cambridge
Nokia
Toshiba
Zenith
Sears
Sprint
Roxio
Hoyle
Lysol
Aladdin
Motorola
Kenmore
Xerox
Epson
Nikon
Avery

Television companies as of 2000 - some names might be duplicates from above
Abex
Admiral
Adventura
Aiko
Akai
Alleron
Amtron
AOC
Audiovox
Belcor
Bradford
Broksonic
Brokwood
Candle
Capehart
Calabrity
Centurion
Citizen
Clairtone
Colortyme
Concerto
Cony
Craig
Crown
CXC
Daewoo <-- crap televisions
Daytron
Dimensia
Dumont
Dynatech
Electroband
Electrohome
Emerson
Envision
Fisher
Fujitsu
Funai
Futuretec
GE
Gibralter
Goldstar
Grudy
Hallmark
Harvard
Hitachi
IMA
Infinity
Janeil
JBL
JCB
JC Penny
Jensen
JVC
Kawasho
Kaypani
Kenwood
Loewe
Logik
Luxman
Magnavox
Majestic
Marantz
Megatron
Memorex
Midland
Minutz
Mitsubushi
Motorola
Multitech
Multividion
NAD <-- quality
Nikko
Onwa
Optimus
Optonica
Orion
Panasonic <-- nice plasma screens
Philco
Phillips <-- also nice plasma screens
Pilot
Pioneer <-- also nice plasma screens
Portland
Price Club
Prism
ProScan
Proton
Pulsar
Pulser
Quasar
RCA
Rhapsody
Runco
Sampo
Samsung
Sanyo
Scotch
Scott
Sears
Sharp <-- Great CRTs, poor LCDs, and the AQUOS has crap side-viewing, unfortunately
Shogun
Signature
Simpson
Sonic
Sony
Soundesign
Starlite
Supreme
Sylvania
Symphonic
Tandy
Tatung
Technics
Techwood
Teknika
Telecaption
Tera
TMK
Toshiba <-- I had a bad experience with one of their CRTs
Totevision <-- LOL
Universal
Victor
Vidtech
Viking
Wards
Yahama <-- nice plasmas, as well
York
Zenith

*deep breather* If you want, I can give you a list of some VCR companies from around the year 2000 as well.

amin
Jul 8, 2004, 05:43 PM
I use Firefox and occasionally Safari

blackfox
Jul 8, 2004, 05:50 PM
KC, how does Mozilla's browser (1.6) compare to their Firefox offering...so far Firefox is the best I have come across, but always looking...

Cheers...

blue&whiteman
Jul 8, 2004, 05:56 PM
I use Firefox and occasionally Safari

same here

cheekyspanky
Jul 8, 2004, 06:15 PM
Opera 7.5 for me, works like a charm

wdlove
Jul 8, 2004, 08:49 PM
I have been using Safari almost exclusively since I began using X in January. Occasionally I use OmniWeb.

Cooknn
Jul 8, 2004, 09:11 PM
Camino (http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/) ROCKS :D Tab groups have changed web browsing for me. "Designed from the ground up for Mac OS X, Camino combines performance with ease of use creating a browser that is second to none."

Apple Hobo
Jul 8, 2004, 09:35 PM
Safari and PithHelmet are all I need for my internet use. I use OmniWeb for, um, naughty sites because it's set to automatically dump cookies/history files when I quit :o. I occasionally use that bloated, obsolete piece of pig ***** known as Internet Exploder for certain sites that don't have a clue about those "pesky" Web standards that everyone else seems to acknowledge.

Now for a little side rant about some tripe I heard this morning on CNN about IE's "latest" pile of joy, err, vulnerabilities...

Some Microshizzle-loving Zombie Sheep Droid™ told people to not worry and continue using IE. He basically said, "if you don't use IE, the internet wont work right; pages wont load correctly. IE is the standard."

People like this disturb me. Uggghhhh....

themadchemist
Jul 8, 2004, 10:04 PM
Sweet, here we go in random order:

[...long ass list...]

*deep breather* If you want, I can give you a list of some VCR companies from around the year 2000 as well.

...I'm confused. :confused:

oh, as for the question, I use safari.

davecuse
Jul 8, 2004, 10:08 PM
I use Safari at home on my G4 1.5ghz PowerBook (sometimes FireFox), and FireFox at work for everything except our web based email system that requires IE on my P3 500mhz Dell. Needless to say its a joy to come home

davecuse
Jul 8, 2004, 10:09 PM
...I'm confused. :confused:
I didn't get it either

blackfox
Jul 8, 2004, 10:43 PM
To davecuse and MC...to clear up confusion, the original poster asked for computer/electronics company names to use on a plug-in (I believe) that allows you to customize the name of your browser...

FWIW

themadchemist
Jul 8, 2004, 10:52 PM
To davecuse and MC...to clear up confusion, the original poster asked for computer/electronics company names to use on a plug-in (I believe) that allows you to customize the name of your browser...

FWIW

oh, ok...It stills seems like a sort of pointless plug-in, though.

sorryiwasdreami
Jul 8, 2004, 10:59 PM
I use Firefox all the way. I'm in love with it; especially the about:config feature. Type that into your Firefox address bar.

King Cobra
Jul 8, 2004, 11:13 PM
...I'm confused. [smiley]
Jalexster said:

I'm having trouble thinking of company names, would I get some ideas? I've got Mozilla, Microsoft, Apple, MacSoft, Sony and Nintendo.
So I provided him with the names of some (well a lot of) companies:

Abex
Admiral
Adventura
Aiko
It shouldn't be easy to get confused as to why I posted the list.

KC, how does Mozilla's browser (1.6) compare to their Firefox offering
I haven't tried to use FireFox yet. FireFox has not yet hit version 1.0. It is still in beta right now, as opposed to Mozilla, and I don't use pre-1.0 browsers (anymore). So you're asking the wrong person for a comparison.

themadchemist
Jul 9, 2004, 06:51 AM
Jalexster said:

So I provided him with the names of some (well a lot of) companies:

It shouldn't be easy to get confused as to why I posted the list.

I haven't tried to use FireFox yet. FireFox has not yet hit version 1.0. It is still in beta right now, as opposed to Mozilla, and I don't use pre-1.0 browsers (anymore). So you're asking the wrong person for a comparison.

That's all good and well...I wasn't confused by the fact that you provided him that for which he asked...I was confused more by the asking than anything.

Jalexster
Jul 9, 2004, 07:59 AM
I asked because I want a wide selection of names. It's kind of a good surprise. And it makes people ask "What the **** is that browser" when they see it.

I only added the first list of names. I have to enter each one-by-one, so it would take too long to enter them all. When I'm bored one day I might do it. Oh and thanks for that list.

I'm currently using Toshiba SuperRaccoon.

themadchemist
Jul 9, 2004, 08:26 AM
I asked because I want a wide selection of names. It's kind of a good surprise. And it makes people ask "What the **** is that browser" when they see it.

I only added the first list of names. I have to enter each one-by-one, so it would take too long to enter them all. When I'm bored one day I might do it. Oh and thanks for that list.

I'm currently using Toshiba SuperRaccoon.

whatever floats your boat!

ziwi
Jul 9, 2004, 08:54 AM
Mozilla 1.7, Firefox 0.9.1

dvdh
Jul 9, 2004, 09:18 AM
Safari's my first choice, Netscape is the backup (on my Mac)

Netscape first on PC, and Explorer only if absolutely necessary . . .

caveman_uk
Jul 9, 2004, 10:13 AM
Safari and IE when I really have to and someone's crappy site won't work properly with anything else....like NoChex which works right up 'til the bit where the money gets transferred :mad:

themadchemist
Jul 9, 2004, 01:21 PM
yay! I'm on my dad's PC right now and get to use internet exploder!

musicpyrite
Jul 9, 2004, 02:41 PM

Don't you mean Internet Conquer? ;)

King Cobra
Jul 9, 2004, 03:02 PM
Ahh, not Internet Exploder!

http://andrej.gadgetgaming.com/images/gifs/exploder.gif

kgarner
Jul 9, 2004, 03:07 PM
I use Safari at home and FireFox on my Windows box at work.

Jalexster
Jul 9, 2004, 03:47 PM
Internet Exploder? I thought it was Internet Exposer, because it exposes all your private information to the internet.

I'm glad I'm using Lysol LightningAnt.

bryanc
Jul 9, 2004, 05:31 PM
Safari (1.2.2) on my Macs, Mozilla or Netscape on my PCs...IE only when required by non-standard sites (to which I generally send a polite but firmly worded complaint to the admins)...I think if more people bitched at webpage admins that their sites are non-complient with standards, the fact that IE has 9X% of the market wouldn't matter, because even a small percent of a very large number is a lot of people to have filling your email box with complaints.

Cheers