PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the HP ipod?

sjjordan
Jul 8, 2004, 04:56 PM
Just wondering what happened to that HP blue ipod? I thought it was supposed to be released in June.

Does anyone have any info on it?

medea
Jul 8, 2004, 06:05 PM
In early Jan HP stated it would come out this summer, at what point it will come out this summer I have no idea. Perhaps a 4th gen iPod is coming out soon?

Sabbath
Jul 8, 2004, 07:15 PM
In early Jan HP stated it would come out this summer, at what point it will come out this summer I have no idea. Perhaps a 4th gen iPod is coming out soon?

I was thinking we would see the 4th gen when the hp iPods come out but I guess not if they come out before the student laptop and iPod deal ends. Maybe we will see 3G iPods go to 20, 40, 60Gb and then we will see the HP iPod at 10-15Gb and a lower price point. Then again I guess they don't want them getting in the was of the minis price point. A few marketing issues to figure out, although I'm sure they were decided when Apple and HP signed the contract we just have to wait to find out.

kgarner
Jul 9, 2004, 09:35 AM
When it was announced, I remember some Apple VP of something or other said, very specifically, that they (HP) were getting the 3rd generation style iPod. I thought it was interesting that he would specifiy it like that, so I thought that Apple would be releasing a 4th generation style iPod just a little before the HP iPod would start selling. That would leave very distinct product lines (more so than just a new color for HP) for the different companies and still let everybody win. That's just my own theory of course. Regardless, I think that Apple needs to get those iPods ready so that HP can start selling them. I know of a few people that actually wanted the HP blue iPod. :rolleyes:

kill_me
Jul 22, 2004, 11:46 PM
i think i remember hearing something about it being released in september

rhpenguin
Jul 24, 2004, 04:28 PM
Indeed it is going to be released in September.. If i can find my alert for it here at work (I work for HP) ill take a screenshot of it and post it..

themadchemist
Jul 24, 2004, 07:34 PM
When it was announced, I remember some Apple VP of something or other said, very specifically, that they (HP) were getting the 3rd generation style iPod. I thought it was interesting that he would specifiy it like that, so I thought that Apple would be releasing a 4th generation style iPod just a little before the HP iPod would start selling. That would leave very distinct product lines (more so than just a new color for HP) for the different companies and still let everybody win.

not that distinct, considering that the 4th gen didn't bump up capacities. Well, I guess you have battery life and a different arrangement of buttons, but do you really think that's a big enough distinguishing factor?

...Unless, HP gets the low end that Apple dropped which actually makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's WHY Apple dropped the low end.

Abstract
Jul 24, 2004, 08:10 PM
Is it still ugly? Do you have better pictures of it to show us, because surely it must be the nicer than the initial pictures we saw. Otherwise, how are they going to sell it? Maybe its nicer in person or something...

Nermal
Jul 24, 2004, 10:19 PM
HP will be selling the 4th gen iPod.

We decided to wait for this amazing new fourth generation iPod, as it will offer our customers an even better experience. HP's version of the new iPod will be available in September.

Source (http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/19/hpipod)