PDA

View Full Version : iPod battery charging

tech4all
Jul 8, 2004, 05:14 PM
Quick question. Do you have to wait till the battery on the iPod is completely (or almost) dead to charge it, or can you charge the battery whenever you want?

Thanks!

rainman::|:|
Jul 8, 2004, 05:21 PM
The battery doesn't suffer from the memory effect that plagued older rechargables... tho some say it's a good idea to completely discharge every month or two. Personally, i never pay attention to how much is left, if i need a full charge i'll just plug it in. Battery is still going strong.

paul

tech4all
Jul 8, 2004, 05:42 PM
The battery doesn't suffer from the memory effect that plagued older rechargables... tho some say it's a good idea to completely discharge every month or two. Personally, i never pay attention to how much is left, if i need a full charge i'll just plug it in. Battery is still going strong.

paul

Thanks for the info! :)

Foucault
Jul 8, 2004, 06:31 PM
I believe the new ipod batteries have a 500 charge battery life. I don't think it will last forever, but if you get on a habit of charging only when you need to, I'm sure it will extend its life more. And I don't know where read this, but I believe it is better to charge your ipod's battery using the ac adapter instead of using the firewire cable with your computer. Because when you use your computer to charge your ipod through firewire, it makes the hard drive in your ipod spin, and unless your transferring songs it could affect the performance of your ipod...

But I love my ipod; and I just got my second one, an ipod mini... can't wait for the 60GB ipod... My 30GB is almost full.

tech4all
Jul 9, 2004, 02:31 AM
And I don't know where read this, but I believe it is better to charge your ipod's battery using the ac adapter instead of using the firewire cable with your computer. Because when you use your computer to charge your ipod through firewire, it makes the hard drive in your ipod spin, and unless your transferring songs it could affect the performance of your ipod...

Hmmm I did not know that. I haven't charged the battery with the AC adapter yet--only via firwire and the computer. Why does the HD spin while connected to the computer but not when via the AC adapter? Oh well, I just got the iPod less than a week ago, so I don't think one or two charges will hurt it much :p

Maxicek
Jul 9, 2004, 06:18 AM
There is a reasonable amount of info on iPod batteries on the support pages of the apple website but, given the problems Apple have had with the batteries, it requires a bit of reading between the lines.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61385
www.ipodlounge.com also has lots of info "on all things iPod."

I also can't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall an article saying it was best to not completely discharge the battery. If the iPod is left unused for 14-20 days the battery will completely discharge. It recommended recharging it before this happened.

I have used my iPod quite a bit for over a year now. I recently did a play test as detailed on ipodlounge and got 9hrs plus of play. I haven't taken any extra special care of my battery charging routine.

annk
Jul 9, 2004, 06:28 AM
I read somewhere on this forum that the iPod harddisc stops spinning when connected to the computer if you eject the iPod, but then leave it in the cradle. The result is an iPod drawing charging power, but not being active in the way it would be if you were asking the iPod to communicate with the computer.

You guys who are more experienced, correct me if Im wrong. Ive only had my iPod for a few weeks... :D

Maxicek
Jul 9, 2004, 06:28 AM
Sorry, found the info.

http://www.ipodlounge.com/faqs_more.php?id=103_0_10_0_C

Hope this helps.