Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
After each Apple event, we at MacRumors like to recap the winners/losers of the rumors circles to find out who had the scoop...

No new PowerMacs... Despite early rumors and expectations of PowerMacs at MacWorld... CNet and ThinkSecret accurately predicted that no PowerMacs would be on their way. As far as rumor reliability goes, CNet historically has been very accurate when they do publish rumors. (CNet had also reported that Jaguar would be available in August)

ThinkSecret also accurately predicted the 20GB iPod and iTunes update.

PC iPod... The PC iPod rumors originated back in April, and resurfaced in June at MacMinute.

Not Quite Yet or Not Quite Accurate: 1.5Ghz at MW?, Laptop Revisions?, MultiButton Mouse?, New PowerMacs at MWNY.

Rumors to keep an eye out for:

August 13th? New PowerMacs? and nForce 2 and Apple?

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Think Secret kicked a$$

I don't know who their source was for this year's Expo but they were right on across the board. They predicted:

100% no new Powermacs
100% 17" iMac
100% long Jaguar demo
100% official Jaguar release date
100% iTools becoming .Mac
80% iMovie, iTunes, iDVD updates
40% QT6

They also correctly predicted that .Mac would cost $100 and new iPods would be relased.

About the only thing they were off on was that they predicted 60% for iMac speedbumps.

I'm impressed. And am inclined to believe their Aug. 13th date for new PowerMacs and the end of the G3 iMac era.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Make your voice heard!

I want to remind everyone about these urls:

If you want to give Apple your opinion about the .Mac concept (eg that the email service should be free):
http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac.html

If you want to sign a petition about the too highly priced mac.com email service:
http://www.petitiononline.com/iTol/petition.html

If you want to sign a petition about the lack of upgrade possibilities for Mac OS X 10.2:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Jaguar/petition.html

(note about the petitions; The Jaguar Petition came up approx 12 hours later than the other, thereas the lack of names)

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
How much do you want to bet Apple fed Cnet the rumored info themselves.
It basically let the steam out of the hype that all the other rumors sites were working up.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
It does seem odd that there were few if any real surprises at the keynote. iCal and iSync and the revolution or whatever it's called aren't real attention grabbers regardless of how useful they are.

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
My reply to Macworld NY...

I bought a DP 1 Ghz G4. Today, actually this morning to be precise. Think about this for a second. Look around the net, and you'll find some great deals on refurbished Macs. My DP cost me $2,300. Not bad if you ask me. When/if Apple releases a G5, then I can retire my recently pruchased DP G4 as a server, which will be almost a good as an Xserve. I see no reason to wait a month, just to see a speed bump in processors to 1.2 Ghz or whatever, when I can be using a DP G4 right now. Besides that, my current computer (B&W 350mhz G3), has lasted me almost 4 years and a DP 1 Ghz G4 is a more than addiquite replacement.

When Maya 4.5 ships, sometime late September, then I will definetely be using my G4 DP Powermac to it's full potential. Then, maybe sometime next year, I can buy an Xserve or two and really be in Highend heaven. :D

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
what about the PC ipod

does anyone know...(I know its early) how
well the PC ipod is doind....hmmm actually
I should probably ask this question a little
later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.