Zinio Reader, Developer Tools,
Apple Hardware Test

Hardwear Accesories:
Power Adapter
AC wall plug
Power cord

Warrenty:
3 Year Warenty Included.

I Take Paypal. I am Selling this powerbook for 1600, obo. post here your aim or other contact.

jsamson
Jul 8, 2004, 08:46 PM
oh yea, airport extreme installed

ryme4reson
Jul 8, 2004, 09:00 PM
send me an email. Where are U located.

James

I'm in the Bay Area

jsamson
Jul 8, 2004, 09:21 PM
aim contacted

jsamson
Jul 8, 2004, 09:24 PM
still for sale

ryme4reson
Jul 9, 2004, 02:17 PM
beware, this person is a possible scam. I received an email warning about about this person and a spossible scam. I offered him serveral options including:

verify an @apple.com email address because he said his father works there, and I have access global Apple email address.

COD

face to face pickup

new picture of powerbook with a human in the pic (to make sure these are not internet stick photo's)

Verify his TX DL number.

After trying all of these items, he finally stopped IMing me. EVERYONE BEWARE.... BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 9, 2004, 03:42 PM
Never felt good about newbies selling stuff only a day or two after joining. And those are the only postings.

I think you asked all the right questions. He may have felt too put off by the "intrusion", but hey you and I take our hard earned money seriously.

RugoseCone
Jul 9, 2004, 03:55 PM
I bought my powerbook from a newbie posting here. I've never seen his name anywhere again here.

Anyways, we lived in the same town and did the deal via paypal with a pickup in person. I was a little nervous about it, but I had enough info on the guy to track him down if something went wrong. Ultimately everything turned out alright and I couldn't be happier.

I'd say go with your gut feeling. Whether it's unfair to an honest seller or not, you have to protect yourself...

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 9, 2004, 04:02 PM
I bought my powerbook from a newbie posting here. I've never seen his name anywhere again here.

Anyways, we lived in the same town and did the deal via paypal with a pickup in person. I was a little nervous about it, but I had enough info on the guy to track him down if something went wrong. Ultimately everything turned out alright and I couldn't be happier.

I'd say go with your gut feeling. Whether it's unfair to an honest seller or not, you have to protect yourself...

PayPal and pick-up in the same town? Braver than I am.

turbodub
Jul 9, 2004, 05:29 PM
Hey guys,

I tried to deal with this guy before, trust me, its a scam. If you head over to powerbookcentral and check out the classifieds there, he's got the same ad posted. Check out all the warnings on that site. His name there is laptop_sp.

Just be careful guys. At the same time, don't think that all newbies are scam-sellers. I was (probably still am) and I sold my ibook to someone in alaska, and I think things went great.

Anyways, in my honest opinion, this guy is trying to scam us. He really does have a powerbook though, so if you ask for a specific picture, he'll oblige. I asked for pictures of the specs on the box, which did not show the 80gig HD or 1024MB Ram. It also showed that the processor was 1Ghz, not 1.25. Anyways, I asked for a screenshot of the "About this mac" window, to verify the ram, and that's when communication stopped. Also, he told me that he was located in toronto, but then tells people in toronto that he's located in vancouver. He'd told others that he's in winnipeg.

Oh, and he told me that HE works for apple. Anyways, the stories just don't line up. Just beware.

Cheers

Roger

Rod Rod
Jul 9, 2004, 08:26 PM
PayPal and pick-up in the same town? Braver than I am.

I agree.... I would have the seller meet me at my bank, where I could take delivery of the item and then get a cashier's check made in the seller's name. Or, I'd meet at the seller's bank and so something similar. I think a personal banker would even be helpful in such a situation, because it's sort of like a small-scale escrow transaction.

RugoseCone
Jul 9, 2004, 08:59 PM
All good points, however we did paypal at my request for specific reasons, but the seller was willing to take a cashiers check. Actually it's what he asked for initially.

He was using his work email to discuss things with me and I felt comfortable with the situation. That doesn't mean I'd do it that way again...

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 9, 2004, 09:02 PM
I wasn't dissing newbies. We all start as newbies.

But I have a issue with those that join just to sell an item and contribute nothing else to the Mac Rumors site.

I like the rules on one of the photo forums I am on. There is no eBay listings allowed. Members are allowed to sell, but only privately. They can mention that if they get no takers it goes off to eBay. They can also list their eBay id so that people can look at their feedback. But that is it.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 9, 2004, 09:04 PM
All good points, however we did paypal at my request for specific reasons, but the seller was willing to take a cashiers check. Actually it's what he asked for initially.

He was using his work email to discuss things with me and I felt comfortable with the situation. That doesn't mean I'd do it that way again...

I can see PayPal because of being able to put it on a charge card without fees to the buyer. Cash advanced fees are BS.

RugoseCone
Jul 9, 2004, 09:12 PM
I can see PayPal because of being able to put it on a charge card without fees to the buyer. Cash advanced fees are BS.

It was something along those lines. Basically I couldn't shuffle money from one account to another fast enough, so paypal was the last resort to have the money and avoid C.A. fees.

His NOT pushing paypal is what ultimately made me more comfortable with the deal. I think I may have even been the one to bring paypal up...

MikeM
Jul 12, 2004, 08:52 AM
This person is David Janz of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm an admin at the iPodlounge forums and we've had issues with this guy lately in our classifieds section.

Do not deal with him.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 12, 2004, 10:19 AM
This person is David Janz of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm an admin at the iPodlounge forums and we've had issues with this guy lately in our classifieds section.

Do not deal with him.

Thanks for the "official" heads up! Welcome to the forums!

johnkrz
Jul 12, 2004, 10:45 AM
hey all it was me that origionally sent ryme 4 reason an email and i cracked this bitch right open. he is a scammer and should be banned from this site in my opinion.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 12, 2004, 01:42 PM
Wish we had some standards about posting for sale items.

Ran across another newbie that contributes nothing but listings for their ebay listings :(

komosky
Sep 16, 2004, 08:40 PM
Name: David Janz
Sex: Male
Province: Manitoba
City: Winnipeg
Paypal E-mails: nollie_flip@hotmail.com
janz09@hotmail.com
chopperxl04@hotmail.com
chopperxl05@hotmail.com
chopperx1o5@hotmail.com
webmaster@whm-host.com
bargains_4_less2@comcast.net
janz09@shaw.ca

MSN Identities: janz09@hotmail.com
nollie_flip@hotmail.com
woot_woot_9@hotmail.com
janz09@shaw.ca

AIM Identities: Chopperxl04
postius w00t
realgamers09
inspiron232

Names He Goes Under: Janz
David Janz (David)
Chopperxl04/xl05
John Podalas
Pranil Nagindas
WHM-HOST
John Smith

This is all the information i could gather, he live sin same city as me, not too far from my house. There's a couple more paypal e-mails , i know that, and there's probably a few more aims, and names. Contact me on AIM at: KoMoSkY, or MSN at: justin.komosky@gmail.com (i prefer MSN Messenger) and we can talk and work some stuff out. Hope you find this information useful.

Chip NoVaMac
Sep 16, 2004, 08:44 PM
Did anyone get ripped?