Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I already have 2 ipod touch's, a 5th gen nano and a zune hd but I am tempted to buy the new 160gb classic. Why? Because I have tons of movies and am getting more everyday. My 1st gen touch is only 8gb and my 2nd gen is 16gb but I have toms of apps and they take alot of space and then my music. Now does anyone else have an ipod classic they use just for movies and a few songs? I kind of like the idea of having all my movies with me if I want them. I dont mind the small screen so thats not an issue.

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
I already have 2 ipod touch's, a 5th gen nano and a zune hd but I am tempted to buy the new 160gb classic. Why? Because I have tons of movies and am getting more everyday. My 1st gen touch is only 8gb and my 2nd gen is 16gb but I have toms of apps and they take alot of space and then my music. Now does anyone else have an ipod classic they use just for movies and a few songs? I kind of like the idea of having all my movies with me if I want them. I dont mind the small screen so thats not an issue.

Not so much movies, but I have an old 5g iPod that is mostly full of rips from my TV series DVDs. My 160gb classic has a few movies plus my entire music library.

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
I never saw the real reason to have an iPod classic with that much storage, but you have opened my eyes.

Thats a great idea!

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Why not just get a dedicate video device? Maybe something like the Archos 605(or the newer one with Andriod on it), which can be had with way more than 160gb, and has a larger screen. That way you don't have to be watching your movies on a 2.5in screen. Just a thought.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I never saw the real reason to have an iPod classic with that much storage, but you have opened my eyes.

Thats a great idea!

Ive been on and off all summer about getting the 120gb and then I figured Id just wait and get the new one and hope for a price cut but it got 40gb more so its good. I also had trouble with handbrake since the video was only sycing to my touch but I know use the universal setting so it works fine.

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Never really been attracted to sitting through movies etc on a screen found on such devices as iPod Classic and find the Archos devices expensive for what they are, my Samsung NC10 Netbook fits the bill perfectly since I can watch my film with my bluetooth headphones on those long train journeys and keep my iPhone on charge / synced while I'm at it :D

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I think you can get an Archos with 250gb for like 200 or so on Amazon, so that not a bad option, if you want more space, and less converting.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't really use my iPod classic for movies, but it's got some on it. I just have it to carry my moderately sized music library that won't fit on any other iPod.

The iPhone and shuffle are for portability, the classic is for the car and home stereo.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
My car stereo has a touch screen DVD player that also plays my Classic through the touch screen. My videos on the iPod will also play directly on the screen on my car stereo. Because of this, I use my 160GB Classic just for movies and TV shows, it's completely filled with iTunes purchases. My 120GB is used for music, it's just over 80GB of iTunes purchases!

I love having two iPods and will be getting another 160GB soon.

PurpleLogix

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I use my iPod 5.5 for movies. Connect it upto a TV and have videos on demand. Very handy for traveling to places that don't have movies or dvd players and very handy for keeping kids happy.

Plug it into the tv with composite cable and off you go!

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I use my iPod 5.5 for movies. Connect it upto a TV and have videos on demand. Very handy for traveling to places that don't have movies or dvd players and very handy for keeping kids happy.

Plug it into the tv with composite cable and off you go!

I'm pretty sure the 5.5g is the last version you can plug the composite cable into the headphone jack to output video. After that you need an expensive dock connector one. I used my 5.5g for that a bunch as well also. just have ipod and cable and you can throw a movie on any tv with rca inputs.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Bear in mind that the wheel on these Ipod classics simply suck. If you can cope with that, then I think it's a good idea.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Bear in mind that the wheel on these Ipod classics simply suck. If you can cope with that, then I think it's a good idea.

I have used friends and the ones at the apple store and I dont have a problem with the click wheel.

sbking

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
I have one, and the iPod Classic is pretty good for fullscreen movies (because it fills the whole screen), but it blows for widescreen movies, and most movies are widescreen. Widescreen movies are too small on the iPod Classic too enjoy really. Many movies are so wide that they only use half, or even less of the iPod Classic's screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.