Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IMPRESSIVEMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I am trying to replace my internal hd in a early model 17" G5 and can not open the cover. It appears to be jammed or stuck. Anyone know any tricks?

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
The three captive phillips head fasteners on the bottom edge can get jammed easily. I'd say about 50% of the non-isight G5 iMacs I've opened have had at least one of them over torqued.

One technique that has worked is to apply gentle pressure to the lower corner or center, just above the frozen fastener and turn the head to the left (undo) with enough torque to move the fastener back into position. The danger is in stripping the head, so be careful.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The video in the post above mine is a different machine. The G5s were easy to get into; the back cover normally comes straight off.

Pur3 Macs

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Well unfortunately for us iMac 9,1 owners its a lot more complicated:(
Well I guess apple was wrong about them saying that 'The imac has a single sheet of aluminium with no screws' Trust me all computers have screws, and as shown if my previous post the screws are simply hidden away from users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.