PDA

View Full Version : The one music CD that can't be played by my PB

Abstract
Jul 8, 2004, 10:33 PM
....Jack Johnson's "On and On" can't be played at all by my 12" PB. What do I do? I have bought CD's with the Copy Controlled label on them and didn't notice any difference in usability, and now I have this bum CD that didn't even give a warning of any sort that it may not play on a computer at all.

Any way of ripping and playing it, or do I have to wait for 4 months until I get back to Canada to actually hear the CD (I only have my computer with me, and its currently my stereo system) :( .

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 8, 2004, 11:08 PM
Dude that sucks! Is it copy protected for sure or is your computer just not able to read the files correctly for some reason? Can you try another computer just to make sure?

I would think if it were copy protected it would have to say it, right? It's a stupid concept anyway to make a CD unrippable. I bought more CDs because of my ipod than I have ever in my life with anything else.

yamabushi
Jul 8, 2004, 11:19 PM
Most copy protected music CDs do not adhere to the audio Compact Disc standard. Therefore, they are not really CDs. Look closely and see if you can find the term Compact Disc on the label - most of the time it will be missing since they can't legally use it. I suggest you return it.

There are a variety of copy protection methods used so it isn't a simple matter to work around. The only easy way to make a copy is to record an analog signal from something that can play it, which obviously reduces quality below what you paid for.

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 8, 2004, 11:30 PM
Will he be able to return it if its open?

PlaceofDis
Jul 8, 2004, 11:38 PM
Will he be able to return it if its open?

nope....exchange for same item only

nerd
Jul 9, 2004, 12:20 AM
Just hold down the shift key.

Edit: Sorry, this was just a joke. Many copy protection schemes have been thwarted by "high tech" measures like holding down the shift key, marking the CD with a sharpie, etc.

pdpfilms
Jul 9, 2004, 12:37 AM
I'm pretty sure i've had the same issue with that particular disc before. I think it may be because it's "enhanced" and the format it for windows only...So it just sits in your drive and you can hear it spin up and then slow down and do it all over again...see if it works in a windows computer...then you could import into iTunes and transfer it (wifi/LAN/firewire) to your PB.

theipodgod16
Jul 9, 2004, 12:55 AM
my stepdad's 12'' pb wouldnt take "the donnas" spend the night cd. i had to import it to my machine and then bring the files over manually. what does holding down the shift key do?

titaniumducky
Jul 9, 2004, 01:17 AM
my stepdad's 12'' pb wouldnt take "the donnas" spend the night cd. i had to import it to my machine and then bring the files over manually. what does holding down the shift key do?

Holding down the shift key stops any auto-run files from running, but only on Windows as far as I know.

superbovine
Jul 9, 2004, 02:38 AM
....Jack Johnson's "On and On" can't be played at all by my 12" PB. What do I do? I have bought CD's with the Copy Controlled label on them and didn't notice any difference in usability, and now I have this bum CD that didn't even give a warning of any sort that it may not play on a computer at all.

Any way of ripping and playing it, or do I have to wait for 4 months until I get back to Canada to actually hear the CD (I only have my computer with me, and its currently my stereo system) :( .

this is one to google for. alot of cd protection have been beaten. i only have a pb, but my pc whenever i run into the problem i connect up my optical input on my sb live and my optical out on my stereo and i get a good recording of the cd. i remember when they first starting coming with these cd's all you had to do was mark the outside ring with a sharpy, so wouldn't read it, or something like that. either way it worth googling see if anything has figured it out.

Abstract
Jul 9, 2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks folks.

Yes, the CD seems to work on my friend's new PC, but he says its because he has a very new drive, and it may not work on an older drive. He ripped it for me as an mp3. I remember seeing this album before in Canada --- it had the CD Copyright warning on the box in Canada, but it doesn't have it here in Oz. I remember this because Ben Harper's newest CD also has this protection, and they're on the same label (I believe) and their albums came out at around the same time. I remember this bothering me a bit at the time.

Anyway, I can't find a label on the Jack Johnson disk or case that states "Compact Disk" on it, but I can't find that on any of my CD cases, although I only have 8 cases here. They should label it clearly if its a real CD.

musicpyrite
Jul 9, 2004, 05:50 PM
I know a lot of people will dissagree with me on this, but you could just use p2p... You've legally purchased the song anyway... I don't really see what is so wrong about that.

Just a suggestion... :o

LET THE FLAME-WAR BEGIN!!!

King Cobra
Jul 9, 2004, 10:02 PM
I know a lot of people will dissagree with me on this, but you could just use p2p... You've legally purchased the song anyway... I don't really see what is so wrong about that.
There are also online free mp3 services you can use, but they come with a strict tagline of something like: "You may download the songs only if you have the original copies." If you know of such a service, and you're only going to use it for that one legal purpose, then do it. But if you can't think of one after reading this much of this post, then P2P the legal file.

robotrenegade
Jul 9, 2004, 11:19 PM
I "heard" if you take a black maker on the outer ring of the cd you can override it. I have the new Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the moon" super remastered that did the same thing.

FuzzyBallz
Jul 10, 2004, 12:51 AM
Bring it back for a refund. Tell the sales rep the effing CD killed your $2K CD player. Ask to talk to the manager and exaggerate the incident. Tell him the CD blew up your $5K CD player and burned down your house. Tell him you won't press charges, just want a refund.

Copy protection sucks ass.

CrackedButter
Jul 10, 2004, 01:27 AM
You shouldn't except a copy protected cd, even if you could crack it, you are simply accepting the product. If you don't buy it like others do then the music inddustry will lose even more money.

Let them waste their time on copy protection, just don't except this crap.

I sent a letter to the Red Hot Chili Peppers stating that they missed a sale of 2 cd's because they were protecting me from my own fair use rights. Maybe pointless but so is the protection features. I won't download the music either.

You could if you want that yours choice and the music labels problem.

Fuzzyballz is right. But please, don't except crippled music cd's, you are just excepting the format. Its a fight we have on our hands here, those things are trojans, going to hurt us later in life.

yamabushi
Jul 10, 2004, 05:56 AM
You do not have to accept it. You can return it by arguing both that you received a defective product and that you received a product different from what it was presented as in the store. Be polite but firm. As a last resort you could also offer to accept store credit for a different item instead of a cash refund. Contact the Better Business Bureau and your state attorney general if this fails and provide them with details of the incident. However if you do return it you are legally obligated to delete any music you ripped from it.

Nermal
Jul 10, 2004, 06:26 AM
I sent a letter to the Red Hot Chili Peppers stating that they missed a sale of 2 cd's because they were protecting me from my own fair use rights. Maybe pointless but so is the protection features. I won't download the music either.

I own Greatest Hits, which is labelled as being "copy controlled". It rips fine in iTunes for both Mac and Windows :rolleyes:

CrackedButter
Jul 10, 2004, 06:32 AM
I own Greatest Hits, which is labelled as being "copy controlled". It rips fine in iTunes for both Mac and Windows :rolleyes:

I'm still not buying it regardless, its the principle. I don't even own a DVD due to my fairuse rights being curtailed, like making a backup copy. But thanks for letting me know. I would get more rights getting them off itunes anyway, so i will wait till then.

Squire
Jul 10, 2004, 08:28 AM
nope....exchange for same item only

I'm quite certain you'd be able to return it. At the very least, you'd get a credit for the store.
You shouldn't except a copy protected cd, even if you could crack it, you are simply accepting the product. If you don't buy it like others do then the music inddustry will lose even more money.

Let them waste their time on copy protection, just don't except this crap.

You could if you want that yours choice and the music labels problem.

Fuzzyballz is right. But please, don't except crippled music cd's, you are just excepting the format. Its a fight we have on our hands here, those things are trojans, going to hurt us later in life.

You are soooooooo right. Just a few weeks ago, I was itching to buy a couple CDs. I saw the new Lenny Kravitz disk (i think it's "Baptism") and saw the copy protection label on it. Nope. Blur? Uh-uh. Their Greatest Hits was copy protected, too. Two lost sales because of that little copy protection label. On the other hand, I did download some sweet tunes from Audiolunchbox.com a few weeks ago. I grabbed Sloan's latest album and one by a group called "The Clarks" that was pretty good.

Squire

CrackedButter
Jul 10, 2004, 10:39 AM
I'm quite certain you'd be able to return it. At the very least, you'd get a credit for the store.

You are soooooooo right. Just a few weeks ago, I was itching to buy a couple CDs. I saw the new Lenny Kravitz disk (i think it's "Baptism") and saw the copy protection label on it. Nope. Blur? Uh-uh. Their Greatest Hits was copy protected, too. Two lost sales because of that little copy protection label. On the other hand, I did download some sweet tunes from Audiolunchbox.com a few weeks ago. I grabbed Sloan's latest album and one by a group called "The Clarks" that was pretty good.

Squire

Its great to hear from others who do the same, just let them lose a sale! Write a letter as well.

However what i have noticed is a trend to get classic albums the digital makeover, Pink floyd's dark side of the moon is now an SACD, copyprotected I might add. The original one still isn't and thats one cd i want. I'm buying older music now as well, due to the mainstream crap not being appealing enough anymore.

My advice, if you want the Blur greatest hits is get it imported from the UK, been out ages, no protection (i have it) or go second hand, i'm tempted at the moment while the big stores stock up on copy protected cd's.

In case anybody is interested www.ukcdr.org, has information on copy protected cd's. Not just from the uk.

Maxicek
Jul 10, 2004, 11:12 AM
I have had instances on both Mac and PC (no experience of OSX though) where the CD was fine to access the first time I put it in the computer, but didn't work after that. Permission to Land by The Darkness was copy protected, Resist by Kosheen was enhanced.

yamabushi
Jul 10, 2004, 11:15 AM
I know one guy who is so frustrated and angry at stores that sell these stupid protected media discs that he goes out of his way to make trouble for them. One of his favorite tactics is to pull out all the protected discs he finds when browsing through CDs and stack them up in a pile or drop them on the floor. Its pretty childish and only really hurts the employees but I can understand his frustration. Another tactic he uses is screaming at the top of his lungs at the store manager when they balk at refunding his money for a protected disc. Eventually they either give in or toss him out or both. Thing is, he sometimes buys them on purpose just to cause trouble later. Twisted.
I guess he hopes that if the stores have to deal with too much hassle they might stop selling them.