Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chirone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
NZ
you see in the settings that you can have a switch for turning on airport on and off in a table cell

i figure it's a custom table cell because there's no option to add sliders or switches or segmented buttons to a table cell.

however when i do this, if i hit the cell itself and not the switch it distorts and doesn't look the way it should be.

what's the best way for adding these components to a table cell?

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
custom table cell is the way. what's distorting? the entire cell? can you post images?

also, have you read this book yet? it's a truely great book, really easy to follow and you'll learn a lot. def read it if you haven't.

Chirone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
NZ
picture1df.png

like that

what i did to resolve this seems like a real hack...
In the didSelectRowAtIndexPath method i put in some code that would switch the switch to the opposite of whatever it was when the cell was touched....
like this:
Code:
	NSInteger section = [indexPath indexAtPosition: 0];
	NSInteger itemIndex = [indexPath indexAtPosition: 1];
	if((section == 0 || section == 1) && (itemIndex == 0 || itemIndex == 1 || itemIndex == 2)) {
		[((UISwitch*)[tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath: indexPath].accessoryView) setOn: 
		!((UISwitch*)[tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath: indexPath].accessoryView).on animated: YES];
		[tableViewOutlet deselectRowAtIndexPath:[tableViewOutlet indexPathForSelectedRow] animated:NO];
		return;
	}

it feels like a bad hack........
the switch would only work when the actual button itself was hit, hitting the word "on" or "off" or the table cell would cause it to do what i showed in that picture above
yeah you can't turn it on or off by hitting the word "on" or "off" but you can if you hit the button itself and the table cell.......
seems like a lame trade off... either have your button screw itself over when you hit the table cell and have it work like it should when it's hit or have it not screw itself over and not work like it should.....

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
oh right, accessory views... forgot about those. personally i prefer to roll my own cells to gain full control. i do remember i had a similar problem once with tapping the "on"/"off" text of a UISwitch, although my problem never distorted the actual UISwitch but allowed for undesirable touch locations to register. i forget how i solved it... i think i wrote something in the touch methods.

[EDIT] if i understand your attempts correctly, you are trying to toggle the UISwitch simply by touching it's tableview cell? this could lead to the inability to properly scroll the table view without unintentionally activating some UISwitchs (without some additional code in the touch methods, of course) if the user holds down the cell long enough. it's certainly not the proper way to toggle a UISwitch inside a cell. check out the settings of your iPhone to see how those cells manage a UISwitch.

Chirone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
NZ
it's weird though... that method works on custom table cells that didn't have their switches set by the accessory views.... :confused:

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Try not adding the switch as an accessoryView. Just add it as a subview.

There were reports of this bug on the Apple iPhone forum but I don't know if they were also related to using the switch as an accessoryView. FWIW, I have a cell with a switch in it as a subview and I've never seen this problem.

BTW, this is more convenient:

Code:
NSInteger section = indexPath.section;
NSInteger row = indexPath.row;

Chirone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
NZ
ok, so i put in this code here:

Code:
[cell addSubview: [[[UISwitch alloc] initWithFrame: r] autorelease]];
and it put a switch to the table cell but it still made it go funny when the table cell was clicked... :confused:

and thanks for the tip about indexpath phoneyDeveloper :)

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
That should be

Code:
[cell.contentView addSubview: [[[UISwitch alloc] initWithFrame: r] autorelease]];

But I'm not sure if that will make a difference. I have one switch in one table cell in my app but I've never seen this problem.

Chirone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
NZ
may i ask how you built that part of your app?

a resolution has been found...
just have to change the selection style of the cell to UITableViewCellSelectionStyleNone

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I think for no particular reason I built that cell with IB and load it. I have a UI that is a grouped table with two sections. Two rows in the first section and three rows in the second section. The two rows in the first section are unique. The three rows in the second section are the same kind of cell but the contents are different.

All the rows except the row with the switch in it are created in code and they're basically label value cells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.