Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I just got a 15" uMBP in the beginning of August and thus far I've only used if number of times but I can't help to baby it everytime I use it. I'm used to using PC's and Thinkpads that seem built like a tank so everytime I approach the beautiful aluminum MBP chassis I always think it's quite delicate. Has anyone tossed their uMBP around and still have it in good condition?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It doesn't matter how well a computer is built, "tossing it around" is just moronic. Sure there's everyday wear and tear, but you really should be babying computers. Food, drinks, and mishandling are what cause bad hard disks, bad disk drives and screwed up keyboards.

Having said that, I've dropped mine once or twice. :eek:

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I baby mine.

• I make sure it sleeps on it's back.
  • I don't cover it to make sure it doesn't overheat when sleeping.
  • I don't smoke around it.
  • And I co-slept with with mine in the same room but in separate beds until it was 6 months old. From here on it got it's own room.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Well I don't drop it...

Really the only way I baby it is I put it down gently on tables while its still turned on, as I don't want to damage the hard drive

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Dropped my 12 inch powerbook

I've dropped my 12 inch powerbook off the roof of my car.
And it still ran, it was dented but it ran.

It had another dent in it, I think I slammed my backpack in the car door.

Of course Apple didn't want to touch it for any warranty work in the future :)

I'm sure the uni-body MacBook Pros are even a little more durable.

I don't like the metal ones because they are too slippery (the plastic is WAY easier to hold). But everything else about them is great.

Gary

darkdream

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
It doesn't matter how well a computer is built, "tossing it around" is just moronic. Sure there's everyday wear and tear, but you really should be babying computers. Food, drinks, and mishandling are what cause bad hard disks, bad disk drives and screwed up keyboards.

Having said that, I've dropped mine once or twice. :eek:

Tough books ftw! You can drive over them and nothing will break.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't even baby my MacBook Air. I don't use anything but a designer tote. I usually face the top of the MBA towards papers or a magazine and that's it.

- No invisible shield
- No plastic cover
- No display cloth
- No padded sleeve
- No laptop bag

I find that most people go completely overboard caring for their Macs. It's really less enjoyable if you have OCD over getting a scratch. And I determined long ago that scratches usually happen when attempting to be overly cautious thus changing your natural movements. Those rigid or cautious moments lead to the most damage seems my experiences.

Knock on wood, but just use these dang Mac notebooks without all the worries and supposed "protection."

Protect your package guys - your life might depend on it. The Mac is made to be durable, just don't toss it, it's not going to get a disease or anything...

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
It doesnt matter how you treat it(within reason obviously)
I babied my late 08 unibody mbp like a waferthin glass pane and it STILL broke, logic board packed up, still waiting on apple to repair it, it's been with them over 4 friggin weeks now and all they can tell me is it's still under repair...legendary customer service and turnaround time...I think not!!!:mad:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I baby mine.

• And I co-slept with with mine in the same room but in separate beds until it was 6 months old. From here on it got it's own room.

I sleep with mine. Seriously. Ok I fall asleep with it in bed. It's always ok though. Nothing funny going on, we respect each other.

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
I used to baby it, but I drop it on the bed or sofa from a few feet when it's sleeping or off and I carry it with one hand while it's open.

When I carry it one-handed, I make sure it's not over any of the ports or disc drive so I dont bend them.

I have a moshi clearguard - that's it for protection. It's got a few scratches on the lid already. I was surely pissed to find them, but I realize that's what comes with owning an aluminum computer. If I had to buy one more piece of protection, it's going to be an invisible shield.

Yeah, I slide my computer into my backpack without a sleeve (I just haven't made one yet) but it's not like I chuck it around or drop my backpack book-side-up on it.

I'm still wary to have other people use it though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
lol

There's a huge difference between babying and tossing it around.

I'd probably fall into the category of babying it though :D

I take care in how I lift/carry it, mostly because I saw some threads way back when the unibody came out how some people bent the case by lifting it up by one hand near the ethernet port - that was enough to deform the puppy. Since then I take extra care in how I lift it up.

Overall, I work at making sure its in pristine condition. Many times that's paid dividends as I get more $$ when I sell it. That's not my motivation but a benefit.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I baby mine.
One little dent and your warranty is voided. Also aluminum for all its "toughness" that Apple claims is BS. Plastic is MUCH stronger and wont dent or warp.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I baby mine.
One little dent and your warranty is voided. Also aluminum for all its "toughness" that Apple claims is BS. Plastic is MUCH stronger and wont dent or warp.

Aluminum is malleable, so it deforms fairly easily. Apple has embraced alu as its main material for its professional line since the G4. I don't expect them to change anytime soon. I agree that plastic is stiffer but it can crack where as alu will dent - not sure which is better in the scheme of things.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Its kind of hard to "baby it" all the time. I've already dented the speaker grill and a corner so I figured I shouldn't bother anymore and just get a case. It is a computer, if it can do what I want it to and function normally with dents and scrapes, I'm fine.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I don't baby mine. I juts use it. About the only thing I'm anal about is keeping liquids at a lower level than it.

Tom

Boesky

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I baby mine.

lol, you idiot. You smoke? Yet you're more concerned about a computer than your own health?
:rolleyes:

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I'm very cautious about what happens to the keyboard and screen, but I don't worry a whole lot about the exterior. I travel a lot and tend to collect minor scratches on the surface (top and bottom) over time.

I dropped a 12" PB (in a backpack at the time, in the airport) and wound up with a crimp on the back corner. I bent it as straight as I could and the PB still worked great. I think they are much more durable than people give them credit for.

Though - we have a new puppy, and while I was working on the bed he decided to walk across my keyboard the other night. Huge puppy correction event followed. He can walk on me (I guess), but certainly not on the laptop!

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
I use common sense when it comes to handling it (don't want to drop any sort of laptop) or when drinking near it but otherwise, don't take any special precautions or care with it.

My laps all go "unprotected" right into my backpack or briefcase and although they will show some wear and the end of their life, it's nothing crazy or shocking. They look like laptops that get some use.. and they do!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
lol, you idiot. You smoke? Yet you're more concerned about a computer than your own health?
:rolleyes:

I don't know where to start with this. First, there's no need to be rude. Second, "Lol, you idiot" isn't a sentence and is no where close to using a comma correctly. Third, there's no reason for "yet" to be in that sentence.

And .Andy's post was a joke, he was literally treating his computer like a baby, that doesn't mean he really smokes. This all falls under the umbrella of sarcasm and humor.

hu⋅mor  [hyoo-mer or, often, yoo-]
–noun
1. a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement: the humor of a situation.

macgirl89

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
New York, USA
I baby mine.

What?! I have one tiny dent/scratch near the trackpad (the side of a spoon fell on it and hit the sharp edge). Thankfully, it's very tiny and unnoticeable and it's the only blemish on the entire laptop. (After this incident, I bought a faux leather case for it that not only looks nice but keeps the top and bottom of the laptop from getting scratches.) Are you telling me that my Apple Care is now void, because of a tiny scratch?

BTW, I agree with you about the aluminum. It may look really pretty (especially under direct light as it looks metallic), but aluminum is grainy and easy to scratch. I have a 2 1/2-year-old plastic HP laptop and it has no scratches or dents on it.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
What?! I have one tiny dent/scratch near the trackpad (the side of a spoon fell on it and hit the sharp edge). Thankfully, it's very tiny and unnoticeable and it's the only blemish on the entire laptop. (After this incident, I bought a faux leather case for it that not only looks nice but keeps the top and bottom of the laptop from getting scratches.) Are you telling me that my Apple Care is now void, because of a tiny scratch?

BTW, I agree with you about the aluminum. It may look really pretty (especially under direct light as it looks metallic), but aluminum is grainy and easy to scratch. I have a 2 1/2-year-old plastic HP laptop and it has no scratches or dents on it.

no, a scratch won't be a problem. A dent on the other hand might.

Yeah aluminum is very beautiful, but very delicate. As some people have mentioned here, even looking at it might scratch it. *S*

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
no, a scratch won't be a problem. A dent on the other hand might.

Yeah aluminum is very beautiful, but very delicate. As some people have mentioned here, even looking at it might scratch it. *S*

The late-2008 unibody I upgraded from recently (after ~ 10 months) was spotless; this was after slipping it in and out of a case nearly every day, and letting it drop all the way down (the sleeve was in my backpack, with the top edge open). No dents, no scratches.

I don't really baby it, I use it normally, but I'm careful with just about every electronic device that costs a lot of money to fix/replace..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.