PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 - CD/DVD drive not working

ishaunie
Sep 18, 2009, 03:14 AM
Hi guys! I need some help. I just got an iBook from a friend to use for school. its running Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 - 800 MHz PowerPC G3. It doesnt appear to have the same settings as my iMac. For example when I go into my system settings it shows my start up disks as a file "..TOSHIBA.." I know this computer has been refurbished, but is this something that could cause the CD/DVD drive to not work?

Is there someway I can fix this problem myself? I would really like to get my CD drive to work. On some CD's I can hear it trying to read it but then spits it out shortly after...some it wont do anything. But the eject button works just fine.

California
Sep 20, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hi guys! I need some help. I just got an iBook from a friend to use for school. its running Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 - 800 MHz PowerPC G3. It doesnt appear to have the same settings as my iMac. For example when I go into my system settings it shows my start up disks as a file "..TOSHIBA.." I know this computer has been refurbished, but is this something that could cause the CD/DVD drive to not work?

Is there someway I can fix this problem myself? I would really like to get my CD drive to work. On some CD's I can hear it trying to read it but then spits it out shortly after...some it wont do anything. But the eject button works just fine.

The old trayload cd/dvd players in the ibooks were notorious fails.

Get an external firewire dvd/cd player burner. Make sure it is firewire, not usb, and you will be able to reboot your computer.

Or you can put your iBook in target disc mode and firewire it to another working PPC Mac with a dvd drive and reconfigure your OS that way.

The final thing you can do is buy a new slot load PATA dvd/cd burner and take the ibook apart and put it in. About four hours labor and a lot of screws.