Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
So I have seen a few posts talking about the lack of hibernation while the ssd is in the optical bay. I have duplicated this, but in looking through the systems logs it is clear that the laptop is writing the hibernate file, even on an ssd (21230ms to write in my case). The issue is rather how the laptop starts up and where it can read from. For some reason it is hard coded to only support using the regular hard drive slot (they refer to root volume in the documentation which appears to be incorrect).

I just tried to run pmset to redirect the file to the 500gb drive in this mbp. Not sure if it will work or not, but we shall see next time I forget and let the power run down.

If anyone else has any ideas, post 'em up.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm watching a friend go through this right now and he mentioned that the drives never actually spin down it seems. I know you have an SSD, but while it writes the file, I am wondering if there is something in the system OS that is preventing it from allowing it to sleep. I am of no help, just noticing a trend now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.