PDA

View Full Version : BIG purchases

jefhatfield
Jul 9, 2004, 12:57 AM
besides the obvious money that goes out to mortgage, rent, kid's dental work, tuition, medical insurance, and car, what are your big purchases you have made in the last year, five years, ten years, whole life?

for me...last year...nothing over $200 dollars for any single item...really! i am very frugal since clutter really depresses me

within the last five years...biggest purchase...ibook $1599 dollars bought in december 1999 and not counting the necessities like rent/car/etc. mentioned above, it's the biggest purchase of my life, ever...when it gets too old, i plan to go for an emac or basic ibook and it won't be nearly that much...he he...ain't technological progress great?...i will be able to get emac or ibook, with applecare, for less than i bought the ibook for nearly five years ago ;)

last ten years...1968 fender telecaster with original hard case for $650 dollars which i bought in the mid-1990s...since it was refretted and repainted, i could afford it...if it was in original, unaltered condition, it would have cost me twice that

biggest purchase ever...ibook (see above)

i would like it, if for the rest of my life, i would never have to spend more than a grand on a non-necessity item like an extra elegant blazer jacket, musical instrument, or computer (but i know a lot of you out there would not hesitate in spending two grand on a mac, or more...way more) :)

jywv8
Jul 9, 2004, 01:23 AM
Mine are a 50" HD plasma and a G5 w/ a 20" Cinema Display. Some people poo-poo-ed my purchases, particularily the TV, but, hey, to each his own. My sister spends a ton of money on manicures and hair cuts every year, and I think she's nuts. Different strokes...

jefhatfield
Jul 9, 2004, 01:29 AM
Mine are a 50" HD plasma and a G5 w/ a 20" Cinema Display. Some people poo-poo-ed my purchases, particularily the TV, but, hey, to each his own. My sister spends a ton of money on manicures and hair cuts every year, and I think she's nuts. Different strokes...

three questions then,

how much did the plasma cost you?

how much did the G5 w/display cost you?

what is your exact street address and hours you plan not to be there? ;)

madoka
Jul 9, 2004, 01:48 AM
$16,000 for an engagement ring. The first of a long string of jewelry purchases from Tiffanys. :(

jefhatfield
Jul 9, 2004, 01:56 AM
$16,000 for an engagement ring. The first of a long string of jewelry purchases from Tiffanys. :(

wow...is that a 2.5 to 3 karat diamond?

madoka
Jul 9, 2004, 01:59 AM
wow...is that a 2.5 to 3 karat diamond?

She wishes! It's not even 1.5 karat. Plus I forked over the extra to get the "eternity" wedding band which has diamonds all around it as opposed to just one half.

If I could get money for the number of times she's misplaced it. . . I point out to her that it's like losing a Civic or Corolla.

jywv8
Jul 9, 2004, 03:45 AM
three questions then,

how much did the plasma cost you?

how much did the G5 w/display cost you?

what is your exact street address and hours you plan not to be there? ;)

$6400, I don't remember, and I'm not telling!

blackfox
Jul 9, 2004, 05:05 AM
Biggest purchases:

PB (pismo) in 2000...$1200.00
PM (733 Quicksilver) in 2002...$1000
Sharp projector in 2002...$1500.00
another projector (Optima)in 2003...$1000
1980 Volvo 244 in 2003...$1500.00
!976 Volvo 245 wagon 2004...$900.00
G5 PM/iMac in 2005...$1600-3000.00 (projected)

I feel somewhat good that a majority of my big money purchases have been on Macs...money well spent, imo...

medea
Jul 9, 2004, 06:39 AM
If I want something I just save up until I can afford it. I have no problem spending large sums of money on something as long as I can afford it without using credit and if it's worth it, such as replacing my 15" iMac with a 20". Next up is a Sharp 20" Aqous television.

dobbin
Jul 9, 2004, 07:48 AM
£4000 on our Honeymoon in the Maldives (http://homepage.mac.com/robin.h/2003/PhotoAlbum59.html). It was worth every penny. I would love to go back there, but I won't have that kind of money for a while I don't think.

JesseJames
Jul 9, 2004, 07:55 AM

Slapping forehead and rolling eyes up and fainting. :eek:

michaelrjohnson
Jul 9, 2004, 08:58 AM
£4000 on our Honeymoon in the Maldives (http://homepage.mac.com/robin.h/2003/PhotoAlbum59.html). It was worth every penny. I would love to go back there, but I won't have that kind of money for a while I don't think.

That looked like an *amazing* vacation. Congratulations!

MoparShaha
Jul 9, 2004, 09:00 AM
Last Friday, I spent $1100 on a new mountain bike, plus $700 in gear and accessories for it, so $1800 total. Aside from my PowerBook, that was the most I have ever spent on a single purchase.

rainman::|:|
Jul 9, 2004, 09:09 AM
When my great-grandmother was still alive, i was sort of her assistant, and she owned a lot of land-- so when property tax season came around, i'd often ferry money for her. I remember carrying $15,000 cash to her lawyer's office for the quarterly expenses-- it wasn't far, but i was on foot, and i couldn't have been more than 12.

So, not my money, but that's probably the most i've wound up with in my hands... Other than that, not much. I bought an engagement ring for a boyfriend once, less than a thousand tho. Which is good, because he broke it, then pawned it. Stupid boys.

And yeah, cars and computers, but i don't count that stuff...

paul

Aeolius
Jul 9, 2004, 09:10 AM
for me...last year...nothing over $200 dollars for any single item...really! i am very frugal since clutter really depresses me

Might I suggest you NEVER get into the saltwater aquarium hobby ;)

MattG
Jul 9, 2004, 09:18 AM
Well, I bought my first house (well condo) at the beginning of this year...that was exciting! Definitely my biggest purchase ever.

Bought a new car two months ago (Toyota Corolla 'S' '04)

Bought a 1.25ghz Powerbook when they were introduced last September(?). Over the past three years of using Macs, I've bought and sold around 10 computers. I just like to switch it up every once in a while. The AlBook is the only one I have left :)

Most of the other stuff I've purchased lately has been stuff for the condo. A television, living room furniture, and I'm looking to buy new blinds and bedroom furniture within the next year.

Oh and my Airport Extreme should be on the way as well :)

michaelrjohnson
Jul 9, 2004, 09:20 AM
Though I'm not married, still in school, and don't have a steady job... aside from all that, I'm the same way. I usually save my money for my big purchases (of which there have been 4: 1) iMac in 2000, 2) Car in July 03, 3) iBook in March 04, and 4) PowerBook 4 days ago) Aside from that, I dont' have anything that really cost more than $150 (approx) But I guess that's just the way I am... Besides, most of my day-to-day expenses involve my Girlfriend (of 3 years) in some way or another.

gwuMACaddict
Jul 9, 2004, 09:35 AM
Last Friday, I spent $1100 on a new mountain bike, plus $700 in gear and accessories for it, so $1800 total.

gracious what kind of 'gear' did you need? shoes+helmet= $200 (what kind of bike?)

my largest purchases have been stock (does that count?) or mechanical watches.

Sabbath
Jul 9, 2004, 10:09 AM
Last Friday, I spent $1100 on a new mountain bike, plus $700 in gear and accessories for it, so $1800 total. Aside from my PowerBook, that was the most I have ever spent on a single purchase.

I'm kind of glad my days of mountain biking are over, spending £2000 on a mountain bike that will last a year or 18months or so is just not sustainable. Although it seems the technology has calmed down a bit since then so they're not useless as quickly, and the prices seem to have come down too. Then add travelling and entering races far too expensive for my liking.

cheekyspanky
Jul 9, 2004, 10:47 AM
Nothing too expensive here, iPod, Digital Camera, Flat Screen Monitor, Stereo, Mobile Phone (which has cost me a total of £700 so far this year in line rental and calls)

Other than that £3000 in rent and thats about it!

Oh..and a university education - that's proving to be pretty expensive!

jefhatfield
Jul 9, 2004, 10:52 AM
Might I suggest you NEVER get into the saltwater aquarium hobby ;)

salt water has a way of sucking up money ;) it costs as much as a year at an ivy league school

my best friend got a cheap 1928 lampara fishing boat, fixer-upper for less than five grand...what a deal, right?

then he yanked it out of the water, 500 bucks, painted it with 100+ dollar a gallon paint, worked on it for two months...at 30 dollars a day boat yard rent

and now he is finishing up the small things now the boat is in the water, but it's in the premium slip near the street to be close...for further necessary repairs...and that rent,for that slip is 450 a month and will be there for some time

by the time he gets his boat out in the bay mooring for a reasonable 80 dollars a month, his repairs to get it seaworthy to that level will have cost fifteen grand...three times the original price of the boat making it a twenty grand venture

the other day, he saw a bigger, ready to fish, much newer boat for thirteen grand and in hindsight, he says he should have just bought that thing outright in the first place ;)

jefhatfield
Jul 9, 2004, 11:05 AM
Nothing too expensive here, iPod, Digital Camera, Flat Screen Monitor, Stereo, Mobile Phone (which has cost me a total of £700 so far this year in line rental and calls)

Other than that £3000 in rent and thats about it!

Oh..and a university education - that's proving to be pretty expensive!

well now we got off the thread's original topic of BIG, non necessary purchases like computers, mountain bikes, rings, and toys, i guess i will gripe, too ;)

people mention rent, tuition, and cars...all necessary items, so here's my sob story

rent is cheap so i am lucky there :)

car was only seven grand used and it was a volvo in mint condition...old lady owner who never drove :)

but>>>

somehow to finish graduate school, all the way this time...grades were good first time but bank account was not...he he, it will cost me around $25,000 dollars a year, with books and supplies, for five years (that's if i take a full load of classes for ten semesters at two semesters a year)...if i am going to do it, i don't want to not finish my dissertation, and end up with only a master's after 125,000 dollars in debt

i have a friend who wanted to get a phd, but each time he got afraid of the cost or commitment and never finished his full path AA, BA, MA, Phd...after his BA, he only got a master's, then tried again but only got another master's, and then tried again, and not finishing picked up a third master's degree

now he is 160,000 dollars in debt and his friend says he may still yet go for that elusive phd degree...i think he is already a professor anyway so his pursuit of a phd would only be for his own pride

i bet he knows what it's like to be the san francisco giants...great players, great coaches, division wins, nl pennant wins, but no damn world series ring ;)

MacAztec
Jul 9, 2004, 11:23 AM
Invested 1500$ in Cisco Systems when it was at 18.00

I should have sold it when it was at 29. I will probly sell when its around 25 or so.

Abstract
Jul 9, 2004, 05:32 PM
I just turned 24, and I have never really made a big purchase. My 12" PB is my large purchase, or the approx $1000 USD I just spent in New Zealand.

My tuition is about $11000 USD per year (it was only $3000 USD per year when I was doing my undergrad in Canada), which is a lot if you live outside the US, where Uni is expensive if you go outside your own State.

Other than that, I really haven't bought much, it seems.

wdlove
Jul 9, 2004, 09:30 PM
My biggest purchase is my current house, paid more that $170,000 in 1987. Now it's worth more than $350,000. A more recent purchase was my wife's 15" PowerBook at the Panther Release Party last October.

musicpyrite
Jul 9, 2004, 10:09 PM
hmm, well i cant think of the BIGEST purchase ive made, but i spend 100+ dollars a week on cocaine...

:D

Neserk
Jul 9, 2004, 10:13 PM
I just bought a dresser. With delivery and tax it was $485!

jsw
Jul 9, 2004, 10:39 PM
It doesn't really count as a single purchase, but a decade ago I spent over $10K on a one-year relationship with a girl in Fort Collins, CO when I lived in Syracuse, NY.

I was a bit surprised to see, after the relationship ended after almost exactly a year, what physical items I had obtained for that >$10K.

Well, I did have a new phone. Which was good, because this was before decent phone plans, and my monthly phone bills averaged north of $300.

And I did have my American Airlines Gold memberhip card (good for a year), obtained by paying for over 20K miles in a year. Not sure what good that card was, although it did once help me to break into my apartment. I suppose that's worth the cost of airfare.

Hmmm. I think that might be it. Oh, yeah, I had some pictures. And, no, nothing that I couldn't show around. Sadly. ;)

So, well, basically my biggest purchases were a phone and frequent flyer card, and, combined, they cost a little over $10K. Which was really a bit pricely, since I was barely clearing much more than $15K a year then, and so I guess maybe I should add in credit card interest on the part of that $10K which was charged....

PlaceofDis
Jul 10, 2004, 12:25 AM

WHOA!!!! i just got engaged (past week) and i got my girl a 1/2 karat princess cut solitare dimond set in 14k white gold.....grand total for the ring ended up being $330.00 (yeah i know how to get bargins)

WinterMute
Jul 10, 2004, 01:45 PM
I bought a house for cash in 1990, £99,950 in a briefcase to the solicitors... I was paranoid that day let me tell you. :eek:

Other than that:

Warwick Thumb 5-string bass £950
Ampeg SVT3 head and 8x10 cab £3500
£1000's on synths and recording kit

My uni buys all my Macs for me otherwise the 17" PB would be here too.

New car last month £7000 SEAT Toledo V5.

oh yeah, £3000 on a katana blade from Japan, it's not even original, and I had to have a handle made for it too... :cool: :D

jefhatfield
Jul 10, 2004, 02:15 PM
I bought a house for cash in 1990, £99,950 in a briefcase to the solicitors... I was paranoid that day let me tell you. :eek:

Other than that:

Warwick Thumb 5-string bass £950
Ampeg SVT3 head and 8x10 cab £3500
£1000's on synths and recording kit

My uni buys all my Macs for me otherwise the 17" PB would be here too.

New car last month £7000 SEAT Toledo V5.

oh yeah, £3000 on a katana blade from Japan, it's not even original, and I had to have a handle made for it too... :cool: :D

warwick and ampeg svt...that's really nice

if i wasn't married and facing constant school and house repair expenses, i would go over that $1000 dollar mark and get a gretsch electromatic hollowbody (usd $1100 with case) and a cool mesa boogie 12" combo (over a grand up to $1500)...another guitar i like the the epiphone 335 dot, 1963 reissue, and that's a few dollars more than the gretsch (around $1700 list with case)

i could get the electromatic online for $850 with case, which is risky not playing the thing in person, but the mesa boogie amps are prolly not that reduced

now if i wanted the full versions of those guitars, i would have to go over $2000 dollars, online too, for a gretsch standard hollowbody or gibson dot 335 and no matter how much i like those pro level instruments (the lesser ones are pro quality, too), i can't bring myself up to that level

but for amps, because sound is so key, i can see spending considerably more...but of course, that's if i still played live

my friend has a whole dozen or so guitars, all well under $1200 and plays it through a $2500 dollar marshall 100 watt full stack...even his cheapest instruments he got for under $400 dollars sound amazing through this amp

you brits sure know how to build a great amp ;)

WinterMute
Jul 11, 2004, 04:51 AM
VOX AC30... oooooooh yeah.. :cool:

I used to run Mesa Boogie bass amps, but the Ampegs are just a little bit more rock n' roll, particularly with the 8x10 cab.

You have good taste in guitars.

There's absolutely no way I could afford to buy the rig I have now, not with family commitments, in fact I keep thinking I ought to streamline it a little now I'm not playing in big venues, I've been looking at the Ampeg 4x10 portaflex combo, very nice, but I know that if I sell the SVT rig I'll never have another like it again... :(

edesignuk
Jul 11, 2004, 05:14 AM
2002 - £2700 - G4 Power Mac (Quicksilver) ;)
2002 - £400 (I think) - 10GB iPod
2003 - £14500 - First car! Mini Cooper :D
2003 - £1500 - Home built PC :eek:
2003 - £5000 - 43" HD Plasma :cool:
2004 - £250 - 20GB iPod (US import, save some ££££) :D

Then there's just other bits and pieces, mobile phones etc. It's scary looking back how much you spend on things, I could have had a chunky deposit on a house by now! :rolleyes:

madoka -
$16k on a wedding ring :eek: She better be worth it!!!!!!! Christ!

stylum
Jul 11, 2004, 05:40 AM
last november bought the smallest car i could find, about $9,000,

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/cybermall/showroom/index.html

my pb 17,
i just finished assembly of a nice ikea sofa...about $500

Oh and my company´s woodworking tools and machines (saws, lathe) -those are expensive-

Sabbath
Jul 11, 2004, 05:59 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That has to be the best non-necessary purchase so far, as unfortunately wedding rings are necessary :rolleyes: Are you just allowed to import them into the country or did you have to sneak it in.

Aeolius
Jul 11, 2004, 07:23 AM
How about $600 for snails and crabs? ;)

3 Fancy Serpent Sea Stars (Tiger-striped,) 3 Sand Sifting Sea Stars (Fiji), 5 Sea Cucumbers (Tiger Tail), 4 Burgundy Sea Stars (Small), 3 Red Serpent Sea Stars, 2 Yellow Brittle Sea Stars, 2 Black Sailfin Blennies, 30 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs, 55 Margarita Snails, 80 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Tropical Abalone, 5 Lettuce Sea Slugs (Nudibranch), and 5 Emerald Mithrax Crabs

agreenster
Jul 11, 2004, 08:30 AM
WHOA!!!! i just got engaged (past week) and i got my girl a 1/2 karat princess cut solitare dimond set in 14k white gold.....grand total for the ring ended up being $330.00 (yeah i know how to get bargins)

I hate to say it bro but,

You get what you pay for.

My wife works in jewelry, and while I do think prices can get outrageously high for nothing more than a piece of shiny rock, women for some reason love them. Its a status thing, kind of like "I'm so well off I can waste money on shiny rocks more than you can." But my point is, there definitely ARE better diamonds than others, and any half carat (carat weight is with a "c", karat is for gold) stone for 330 is, well...let's just say some stones really ARE worth 16 grand. Its a quality/rarity thing.

Granted, it also depends on the girl. If she thinks diamonds are as silly as "we" think they are, then fantabulous! But as I see it, I'll keep allowing my wife to indulge her diamond habit as long as I'm allowed to indulge my mac habit.

Back on topic:

Largest purchases include engagement ring (but she works in the biz, so we got a good deal), wedding (but her folks paid for most of it), honeymoon to Hawaii (we paid for it), 3 macs (G4, TiBook, G5), and many other items of jewelry. Oh, and cars. But I guess we arent counting those? We always buy used. Cars are pathetic investments. I've never spent more than 8 grand on a car. (very good condition 96 mustang, buy in WINTER!)

My opinion of money spending:

Only buy large unnecessary items when you have the cash up-front, and at LEAST 10% of your annual income left over in the bank. Pay credit cards off every month.

Always have a plan for your money and stick with it, but when a little surplus comes your way, there's no reason not to spoil yourself once in a while.

jimsowden
Jul 11, 2004, 09:07 AM
My recent purchaces include my G5 (1500) my GL2 (2500) and my 17" LCD HDTV (1100). Ohh, not to mention the 2001 BMW 325i that I just bought for 15,000! That was big, but a deal. And i'm only 17.

jimsowden
Jul 11, 2004, 09:08 AM
last november bought the smallest car i could find, about $9,000,

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/cybermall/showroom/index.html

my pb 17,
i just finished assembly of a nice ikea sofa...about $500

Oh and my company´s woodworking tools and machines (saws, lathe) -those are expensive-

Dude, iKea rocks.

Capt Underpants
Jul 11, 2004, 12:12 PM
The biggest purchase I have made, during the 15 years of, was a 12" Powerbook a couple of months ago. It took my life savings, but it was worth it. My second largest purchase was a Canon Powershot S45, in April of last year for $500.

letterbox
Jul 11, 2004, 01:54 PM
A Crate 4x12 and JCM 900.
A Schecter C1 +
A Carvin MTS 50th Anniversary Head.
A no name purple 4X12 Cab.
A Sunn Solarus II guitar Head.
An iBook G3 700MHz.
A Rickenbacker 360 in Midnight Blue, 2002 model.
A green sofa from IKEA.
A PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8.

Soon...a PB or iBook and 20" Cinema Display.

Neserk
Jul 11, 2004, 05:27 PM
I tried to sell a few rings given to me by an ex-boyfriend. The rings were purchased for over $500. On resale they were willing to give me $15 and $40 from a jeweler and a pawn shop, respectively :rolleyes: Don't waste money on jewelery. Stick with the engagement ring/wedding band and invest the money into things you'll have forever and aren't likely to disappear, like quality furniture, etc.

gwuMACaddict
Jul 11, 2004, 06:56 PM
Don't waste money on jewelery. Stick with the engagement ring/wedding band and invest the money into things you'll have forever and aren't likely to disappear, like quality furniture, etc.

or you could try buying quality jewlery... like anything else, you get what you pay for...

jefhatfield
Jul 11, 2004, 08:37 PM
VOX AC30... oooooooh yeah.. :cool:

I used to run Mesa Boogie bass amps, but the Ampegs are just a little bit more rock n' roll, particularly with the 8x10 cab.

You have good taste in guitars.

i like all guitars...and basses, drums, and keyboards

i grew up with kiss so an ibanez iceman, gibson flying v, washburn ps model, silvertone ps model, or a gibson L6-S are cool...paul stanley uses/used those

and ace frehley of kiss used gibson les paul standards so i like those

i also like metallica and their various esp and ltd guitars

clapton was an idol so i like fender stratocasters

the go-go's charlotte caffey was an influence with her telecasters so i like those

santana used a yamaha sg-2000 for most of his career so i like those

rockabilly is cool so i can't do without the gretsch guitars, especially the ones with the bigsby trems

beatles...my all time favorite pop band so rickenbackers are a necessity

the 80s shred scene made me like fast playing for awhile so jacksons, ibanezes, carvins, peaveys, and charvels fit the bill

jazz, especially bebop is cool, so i like the gibson es-335, the es-175, the gibson byrdland, the ibanez joe pass model, and especially the ibanez george benson model

surf music does if for me so mosrite guitars, fender jazzmasters, and fender jaguars are impossible to live without...broncos and mustangs are also great

sometimes country music does it for me so i can't do without a vintage gibson acoustic or an old martin acoustic

and when i need to turn up the acoustic volume, the ovations and less expensive applauses get the job done

but if you want to look more rock and roll, kramer ferrington, the fender stratacoustic, and the telecoustic are all rock and roll but all acoustic at the same time

if i want to go new folk, taylor, godin, lowden, and santa cruz guitars are very nice instruments

and if you want really new acoustic...i mean full on futuristic, then the parker fly is the one

funky guitars are cool like teisco del reys and airline guitars

...so i basically like everything that has six strings...for more depth the 7 and 12 string electrics and acoustics expand the dynamic range

i have at one time or another since 1976 owned most of the models listed

...today i just stay happy with my esp/ltd viper electric six string and don't see a need to have a second guitar in my rather small house because if i had extra room, i would want that for macs and all the peripherals that come along with owning a computer ;)

Neserk
Jul 11, 2004, 08:52 PM
or you could try buying quality jewlery... like anything else, you get what you pay for...

lol... they didn't even look at it closely to decide if it was quality. They weighed it for the gold and wouldn't give anything for the stones.

I just bought my mom a pair of earrings for her b-day. $100. I had a coupon for all gold jewelry at 60% off. Seems to me that jewelry is simply way over priced -- such is the world of retail.

WinterMute
Jul 12, 2004, 03:23 PM

That has to be the best non-necessary purchase so far, as unfortunately wedding rings are necessary :rolleyes: Are you just allowed to import them into the country or did you have to sneak it in.

It's a replica, so there's no problem, they simply shipped it, but the originals are a different story, the famous one's you kind of adopt, it's very strange.

An original named blade goes for upwards of £300,000 :eek:

rendezvouscp
Jul 12, 2004, 04:07 PM
Last year I bought my Dual 2 with a 20" Cinema, Office, Studio MX, FCE, etc. with a student discount (thankfully). That was my biggest mix purchase. But I'm going to Australia on a $5,000 trip, so that would have to be my biggest purchase, if you can call it that.
–Chase

rueyeet
Jul 12, 2004, 04:12 PM
Granted, it also depends on the girl. If she thinks diamonds are as silly as "we" think they are, then fantabulous!Female though I am, I'll never understand why so many women equate sparkly rocks with true love. One friend rationalized this to me by pointing out that dropping several months' salary on a diamond supposedly proves his seriousness and commitment, but I'd rather spend that money on the wedding/honeymoon than a stupid little mineral in my least favorite color (white).

My last large purchase was a vacation to Punta Cana for me and three friends, who are going to pay me back. I was the only one with the kind of credit limit to handle nearly $4000.

Before that, there's the usual miscellaneous furniture, three computers over about five years, two cars, and the house. The house was the most heart-stopping check I ever had to write. Signing away the next many thousands of dollars of your life is quite a feeling. :)

Phobophobia
Jul 13, 2004, 01:59 AM

Wedding rings aren't necessary.

jefhatfield
Jul 13, 2004, 07:15 AM
Wedding rings aren't necessary.

some mac user here bought an ibook for their fiance instead of an expensive ring...the mac fanatic girl got a less expensive ring and an ibook instead of just some two thousand dollar ring

when i was engaged many years ago, i was going to get the girl a less expensive ring *sapphire instead of diamond, and an ovation 12-string acoustic electric guitar being that is all she seemed to talk about...but she thought my 1947 martin guitar was really cool and i would have given her that

but she returned to her ex-boyfriend, the one she had a kid with who was a bad father due to his crack and alcohol habit...but eventually he got clean and everything is ok with the family and it really turned out for the best for everybody concerned...if i got married to her, i would have had a wife, a stepdaughter, and an her ex-husband who i would have to take care as a stepson on drugs who happened to be older than me that i would have to always dole money out to...i am no fool but he's such a nice guy that he has gotten by on his charm all his life and it's what got him into trouble all his life anyway ;)