PDA

View Full Version : Webcam for use with PPC PowerBook

buxtone17
Sep 18, 2009, 01:55 PM
I'm going to Mexico in a few weeks and I'm looking for a good webcam to use with Skype on my Early 2006 PowerBook.

A friend bought me a RocketFish webcam a while ago and it hasn't worked out too well. Most of the time, I get only video or only audio. I rarely get both at the same time.

Any recommendations? I've heard that Apple's original iSight is a great piece of hardware, but I haven't been able to find one for less than $100 used. I'm looking to spend less than $50.

Thoughts?

Yang2 Gui3zi
Jan 12, 2010, 12:40 PM
I have a Genius Slim 1322AF Webcam. It works fine with my MacBook Pro, but recently I got a newer Webcam. I would like to send the Slim 1322AF to a friend of mine in the States who has no Webcam. But I am not sure if it will work on his PPC PowerBook G4.

Here are the specs of his laptop, taken directly from System Profiler:

Operating System: OS X 10.4.11

Hardware Overview:Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0

As far as I can tell, the Slim 1322AF was never sold in the States. The designer of the Genius brand is the Taiwanese company KYE. I tried to find out from KYE whether this Webcam will work on Apples with non-Intel CPUs, but KYE did not answer. The box says "Recommended Mac System Requirements: 2.33 Core 2 Duo compatible processor". To me, "recommended requirement" is a contradiction: either a specification is recommended or is a requirement, but not both.

This Slim 1322AF Webcam complies with the UVC or "USB video device class" standard. Maybe that will help some tech-savvy reader figure out if it should work with a PPC PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11. But the best would be if some reader has actually tested the Slim 1322AF with a PPC PowerBook G4.

n459umb4786ers
Jan 12, 2010, 05:11 PM
You could try the Hue HD (http://www.huehd.com/) webcam. It said on there website it works with Mac OS X but I never tried it myself since I don't have a Macintosh yet.