PDA

View Full Version : The British GP Thread

iGav
Jul 9, 2004, 08:26 AM
Ahhhhhh... the joys of back-2-back races... it's great being spoilt :D

So we come to Silverstone, one of the old school circuits that has sadly been much remodeled like alot of the 'Great' circuits have been in the name of progress... errrr I mean safety, yet still retains the character and history of it's RAF and Racing heritage.

Before the layout was substantially changed back in 1991, Nigel Mansell gained the outright lap record in the 641 Ferrari in 1990, a moment when the powers that be decided F1 cars had become too quick for the layout... which of course is nonsense and the butchering began. Silverstone was one of the fastest tracks around, maybe 3rd only to Monza and Hockenheim (but a better drivers circuit than both, and ALWAYS offered a better race than either of them).

Last years race was one of the most eventful of the year, the gusty weather on Saturday upsetting the qualifying order, Schumachers forceful defensive move on Alonso down Hanger Straight on the first lap and the race being interrupted by some Irish nut, waving his flags, whilst running (against the traffic) on the 190mph Hanger Straight, plenty of overtaking with Montoya fighting from mid field and Schumacher coming up from the back of pack after losing time whilst queueing behind Barrichello in the pits during the SC Period. Barrichello's outstanding overtaking and of course much deserved victory.

As for the race this year, even though Ferrari do little testing at this circuit, I'm expecting them to be very strong here. BAR, Williams and McLaren should also be bang up there, Renault could be deceptively strong though, although they lack the outright power of the big 4, with their superior slow speed traction, they could be in contention just from a competitive last complex section alone, so it's difficult to discount them.

Qualifying should be very, very competitive... especially with the Michelins one-lap advantage, and the usual British Summer weather can always throw a spanner in the works.

So then... my Quali predictions...

1. Schu
2. Barrichello
3. Coulthard
4. Raikkonen
5. Montoya
6. Button

Race prediction

1. Schu
2. Barrichello
3. Raikkonen
4. Montoya
5. Coulthard
6. Button

Thoughts??

Counterfit
Jul 9, 2004, 08:51 AM
some Irish nut I thought he was Scottish... ;)

iGav
Jul 9, 2004, 09:04 AM
I thought he was Scottish... ;)

nope... that's why he was wearing green, white and orange. ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/3083077.stm

evoluzione
Jul 9, 2004, 05:36 PM
haha, plenty of nuts from both places.... :)

Maybe i'll actually get around to watching a GP this year....I went and got digital cable for that reason (and fox sports world) and have yet to actually watch a race :rolleyes:

That reminds me, I should give my cousin a call, he always manages to blag a free ride there somehow, one year he flew in by helicopter and came home with one of Mansell's winning tyres!!!!! bastard (goodness knows how he managed all of that, he drives a white (sprinter) van for goodness sake!!!!!!) :eek:

virividox
Jul 9, 2004, 08:36 PM
i have a feeling just a feeling shu wont take the british gp

i have no hard evidence but a feeling

Counterfit
Jul 9, 2004, 08:48 PM
I think it'll be Schu or Rubens...

iGav
Jul 11, 2004, 10:06 AM
Corrr blimey.... yet again Silverstone throws up an amazing race... with according to Tony Jardine in excess of 25 overtaking moves... (and they were only ones that were shown, take that Moto GP) and at one point in the race, multiple cars going side by side into turns! :D

First off... what more is there to say about Schu??? wins from 4th on the grid... and takes 1 less pit stop than the rest (the opposite of last week. hahahaha) what's even more amazing is that his quali performance now in hindsight was absolutely awesome, to be only 4 tenths behind Barrichello but to be carrying an extra 6 laps of fuel and 4 laps on Kimi demonstrates exactly what a mighty lap that was... :D

I really didn't expect that, sure I thought the Ferrari's were running light to compensate for the Michelins 1 lap out of the box advantage, but either way, that was an awesome display of driving by Schu in quali. ;)

And AGAIN for the 2nd race in succession to see Schu put in a series of Quali laps in SEQUENCE to come from 4th to 1st after been 7 seconds down after the leaders pitstop is awe inspiring. His fastest lap coming in at almost 8 tenths up on Kimi and over half a second quicker than Rubens, the mind boggles, it really does. :)

Great to see Kimi back up there, McLaren have made what seems to be a huge step in performance with the 19-B, admittedly they were still .8 off the pace, and somewhat flattered by the SC Period which gave them a free pitstop, but they've gained a good half second from the 19 and that can only be a good thing! ;) Again we've seen exactly how up for it Kimi can be in the right car, so lets hope we see more of this during the rest of the season! Kimi Vs Montoya next year looks like it's going to be a corker! ;)

I'm disappointed in Rubens drive, he's been quicker through all the Sessions than his team mate, looked like he'd whooped him in Quali, only to be severely dismantled by him in the race, even when Schu TWICE backed Kimi up to him...

Either way, the last half of the season is looking very, very competitive. :D

Thoughts?

craigdawg
Jul 12, 2004, 03:03 PM
So Schumi has 100 points throug 11 races, which is nine more than he won the championship with last season. Not to bad eh?

It's really exciting to watch Schumi turn those amazing lap times when he gets out in front. How many seconds do I need? 5 in 5 laps? That's it? Done.

Thank goodness McLaren finally got it going with the 19B. They should destroy all the 19As and forget they every tried to run them.

I didn't really get a good explanation for Trulli's crash...was it a wheel failure?

iGav
Jul 13, 2004, 04:46 AM
I didn't really get a good explanation for Trulli's crash...was it a wheel failure?

General consensus seems to indicate that the rear suspension failed, which has happened before at Canada, and both were in high load circumstances, although polar opposites, in Canada the car broke the rear suspension on launch, at Silverstone it was under full throttle on a high load corner. Neither are particularly great places for it to happen. Was a nasty crash though, again likely another driver who might have been killed had he been racing a '94 spec car. Safety really has come a long way in the last decade.

The big news/rumours at the moment seems to be that Mika Häkkinen is considering a comeback... :eek: I find it most suprising but it's coming from Ron Dennis and Frank Williams so there might be something in it. The only issue I see is if he can get a competitive drive.

I can't imagine him joining a mid field team as he's never been a great driver in uncompetitive machinery and when he has to fight in the pack, but both Ferrari and McLaren are tied up, as are BAR and Renault. Williams have no drivers but I think they'll be signing Webber and Fisi for next season.

So where would he go?? Toyota... maybe. Jaguar??? yeah right. Same goes for Sauber, Jordan and Minardi.

virividox
Jul 13, 2004, 06:57 AM
i have a feeling just a feeling shu wont take the british gp

i have no hard evidence but a feeling

insert foot in mouth !!! glad i was wrong tho

whooleytoo
Jul 13, 2004, 09:58 AM
Was a nasty crash though, again likely another driver who might have been killed had he been racing a '94 spec car. Safety really has come a long way in the last decade.

Certainly true, it's reaching the point where are drivers might be getting a bit reckless about it - given how (relatively) safe they are.

Remember Spa a couple of years ago where both Villeneuve and his team mate (can't remember who.. Zonta maybe) both had massive rolls trying to take Eau Rouge flat in one of the practice sessions, and were laughing and joking about it afterwards. Not that long ago, both crashes would have been fatal.

iGav
Jul 13, 2004, 10:34 AM
Remember Spa a couple of years ago where both Villeneuve and his team mate (can't remember who.. Zonta maybe) both had massive rolls trying to take Eau Rouge flat in one of the practice sessions, and were laughing and joking about it afterwards. Not that long ago, both crashes would have been fatal.

Yeah it was Zonta... ;) JV was convinced he could take Eau Rouge flat and failed, Zonta then tried the same and experienced an almost identical smash. If they'd have tried that in say an 1990 car they'd be nothing left but a big smear up Eau Rouge. :eek:

Funnily enough, the last time the cars raced at Spa in '02 such were the levels of grip that alot of the drivers could take it flat out with no worries, it should be the same this season as well. :eek: :D

It's one of those corners like Tamburello (before they ruined it) that once the cars were capable of a taking it flat, they was no worries... but if any driver experiences either a mechanical failure (Berger, Imola '89) or driver error (Senna, Imola '94) then both corners are likely to punish you hard...

whooleytoo
Jul 13, 2004, 01:04 PM
It's one of those corners like Tamburello (before they ruined it) that once the cars were capable of a taking it flat, they was no worries... but if any driver experiences either a mechanical failure (Berger, Imola '89) or driver error (Senna, Imola '94) then both corners are likely to punish you hard...

It's frightening how quickly the pace is improving, even with all the various technological handicaps. The nature of a lot of tracks is changing.. I mean especially when you look at an (unspoiled) track like Suzuka - as the pace picks up year on year, the lateral G-forces on the driver through the faster corners now must be approaching the limits of endurance. (Is it blackout or redout - what "colour" is lateral G-force induced loss of consciousness?? :) ) 130R in a 2004 spec car will be something!!

Suzuka and Spa are still fine tracks, unspoilt by recent changes. Silverstone isn't bad at all, though I'd love to see the final complex (Luffield?) replace by something faster, more along the original 'design'. I liked Hockenheim's original layout, as it provided a contrast (along with Monza) to the rest of the mid-speed tracks; much as Monaco and the Hungaroring provide contrast at the low end.

None of the newer tracks appeal to me that much: overly technical and don't flow very well. They usually are great for the trackside spectator, as they are designed in a compact space - I was in the K2 stand at the end of the main straight in Sepang, and you could see perhaps 2/3 of the race track from there. But not one real ballsy corner on the circuit.

whooleytoo
Jul 13, 2004, 09:36 PM
For pictures of those crashes (for the ghoulish!) try here (http://f1pictures.fateback.com/belgium99/belgium99028.htm). Ouch.

iGav
Jul 14, 2004, 05:25 AM
For pictures of those crashes (for the ghoulish!) try here (http://f1pictures.fateback.com/belgium99/belgium99028.htm). Ouch.

Lucky chaps I say. ;)

I think the worst crash I've ever seen in F1... was Tom Pryce at Kyalami in 1977 when he hit a Marshall at full speed who was crossing the track to attend to stopped car, suffice to say they was NOTHING left of the Marshall, unfortunately the fire extinguisher he was carrying hit Pryce full on in the helmet killing him instantly, but because he was going flat out the car continued at full speed down the main straight with a dead man at the wheel, he only came to a stop once he'd hit another driver at the first corner. :eek: :(

whooleytoo
Jul 14, 2004, 06:41 AM
I think the worst crash I've ever seen in F1... was Tom Pryce at Kyalami in 1977 when he hit a Marshall at full speed who was crossing the track to attend to stopped car, suffice to say they was NOTHING left of the Marshall, unfortunately the fire extinguisher he was carrying hit Pryce full on in the helmet killing him instantly, but because he was going flat out the car continued at full speed down the main straight with a dead man at the wheel, he only came to a stop once he'd hit another driver at the first corner. :eek: :(

Cripes.. I hadn't heard of this one, that's nasty.

I've heard of a few people flying off the banking in Monza, that would have been nasty particularly with all the trees around. Pity the banking is gone though, I'd love to have seen the "full" circuit in use.

Who was the guy that went into the harbour in Monaco? One of the scarier accidents for the driver, I'd imagine.

iGav
Jul 14, 2004, 07:21 AM
Cripes.. I hadn't heard of this one, that's nasty.

I saw it on a black market VHS a few years ago, it's undoubtedly lurking on the interweb somewhere though. Grim viewing.

I've heard of a few people flying off the banking in Monza, that would have been nasty particularly with all the trees around. Pity the banking is gone though, I'd love to have seen the "full" circuit in use.

The banking at Monza is still there... or atleast a substantial part of the old banked oval remains. When we get to Monza, look in the trees just before the first chicane and nestled in there you'll see it. ;)

Who was the guy that went into the harbour in Monaco? One of the scarier accidents for the driver, I'd imagine.

Ascari did... ;) Bandini was killed just after the Harbour Chicane in '67, the crash barriers stopped him going into the harbour, only for his car to catch fire and fatally injure him. Ironically had his car entered the water, he probably would've survived, as he was seen trying to escape the flames.

whooleytoo
Jul 14, 2004, 09:10 AM
I saw it on a black market VHS a few years ago, it's undoubtedly lurking on the interweb somewhere though. Grim viewing.

Thanks. But I think no thanks, if you know what I mean..

The banking at Monza is still there... or atleast a substantial part of the old banked oval remains. When we get to Monza, look in the trees just before the first chicane and nestled in there you'll see it. ;)

I thought I read recently they were planning on removing some or all of it, I'll have a look again come the GP. Even though I'd seen the banking previously, (I think you can see it too at Parabolica where the oval rejoins the circuit) I didn't actually realise what it was until I read some accounts of old races. It must have been chaos at the 'crossover' point!

Ascari did... ;) Bandini was killed just after the Harbour Chicane in '67, the crash barriers stopped him going into the harbour, only for his car to catch fire and fatally injure him. Ironically had his car entered the water, he probably would've survived, as he was seen trying to escape the flames.

You're an endless mine of information, you know that? ;) (Plus, a handy person to know if a London GP ever happens!). I just re-watched the British GP coverage on ITV, I didn't realise there were an estimated 500K watching the F1 demo on Regents St! Yikes..

Counterfit
Aug 10, 2004, 02:46 AM
Lucky chaps I say. ;)

I think the worst crash I've ever seen in F1... was Tom Pryce at Kyalami in 1977 when he hit a Marshall at full speed who was crossing the track to attend to stopped car, suffice to say they was NOTHING left of the Marshall, unfortunately the fire extinguisher he was carrying hit Pryce full on in the helmet killing him instantly, but because he was going flat out the car continued at full speed down the main straight with a dead man at the wheel, he only came to a stop once he'd hit another driver at the first corner. :eek: :( I think footage from that is used in the original opening of some documentary about GP racing. I can't remember the name, but it was narrated by Stacy Keach and that scene was originally left out of the US version. But Speed Channel (formerly and rightfully Speedvision:)) showed the original in its entirety. Pretty nasty :eek:

iGav
Aug 10, 2004, 04:08 AM
I think footage from that is used in the original opening of some documentary about GP racing. I can't remember the name, but it was narrated by Stacy Keach and that scene was originally left out of the US version. But Speed Channel (formerly and rightfully Speedvision:)) showed the original in its entirety. Pretty nasty :eek:

It's seriously grim viewing, it reminded me of that scene in RoboCop towards the end, where that bad guy gets covered in Toxic Waste, and is then hit by a car... the Marshall exploded in pretty much the same way, with what was left of his spine tossed to the side of the road, it was also freaky knowing that Pryce was dead as his car hurtled down the main straight only to crash into another car... :eek: