Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
So, I've always believed that the iphone is rather fragile. This is why I chose from the beginning to have a case and screen protector. Today I learnt that if your iphone's # is up it's up.

fjzxci

I'm not sure what to do about replace/repair but I'm pretty miffed that this type of thing could happen. The phone was Dropped from waist height on to wood. If you have a Seidio Innocase II and a Power Support Anti glair, know that they look and feel good but thats about it.. Do not trust them to protect from any impact.

:confused:

Chiba

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
$199 and you will get another or they'll replace the glass in under 10 minutes from what I understand.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
On these very boards. I know it works in the UK, so call Apple and see.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
So, I've always believed that the iphone is rather fragile. This is why I chose from the beginning to have a case and screen protector. Today I learnt that if your iphone's # is up it's up.

I'm not sure what to do about replace/repair but I'm pretty miffed that this type of thing could happen. The phone was Dropped from waist height on to wood. If you have a Seidio Innocase II and a Power Support Anti glair, know that they look and feel good but thats about it.. Do not trust them to protect from any impact.

Chiba
Chiba,

Don't blame Seidio or PS for this. It's your own fault for dropping the phone that hard. The Seidio Innocase II protects your phone from scratches and minor drops. But not from drops that would shatter the screen. And the Power Support Anti-Glare certainly won't help any.

You expect way too much.......get a case designed to protect your phone from hard drops if that is what you expect.

Jeez.....

S-

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009

Sidewinder -

waist height on wood is a minor fall.

"Jeez" did my post upset you?

heh

lonnielove

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007

fjzxci

Chiba

http://www.otterbox.com

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Sidewinder -

Your results prove otherwise. ;)

I've dropped a bare iPhone from shoulder height (I'm 6ft3) and it landed face down on concrete ... with no physical damage to the iPhone. Go figure.

It's like you said, ... if your iPhone's number is up, it's up. :eek:

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Your results prove otherwise. ;)

I've dropped a bare iPhone from shoulder height (I'm 6ft3) and it landed face down on concrete ... with no physical damage to the iPhone. Go figure.

It's like you said, ... if your iPhone's number is up, it's up. :eek:

Yep, hopefully I'll have better luck with apple getting it fixed.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Sidewinder -

"Jeez" did my post upset you?

heh
Obviously not a minor fall. Otherwise nothing would have happened. I have dropped my phone at least 3 times from higher than waist high on concrete and asphalt with no damage whatsoever. I am 6' 3" and use a Seidio Innocase II and a Power Support Anti-Glare screen protector.

You can't upset me....but you do cause me to shake my head in amazement...blaming the case and screen protector. Too funny....

S-

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Or you can ignore that and just try to help him out.

Gee, thanks.....

Did you miss this part of a previous post in this thread:

"...get a case designed to protect your phone from hard drops if that is what you expect."

S-

P.S. Aren't you going to bust lonnielove's chops for quoting a big picture too?

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Obviously not a minor fall. Otherwise nothing would have happened. I have dropped my phone at least 3 times from higher than waist high on concrete and asphalt with no damage whatsoever. I am 6' 3" and use a Seidio Innocase II and a Power Support Anti-Glare screen protector.

You can't upset me....but you do cause me to shake my head in amazement...blaming the case and screen protector. Too funny....

S-

What a surprise, you have the same case and screen protector!

No wonder your upset. Good luck with that..

Btw, I'm 5'11" :)

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I've dropped the iphone from higher distances with my Seidio Innocase II and it never broke anything.

You were just unlucky...

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
FAIL?

Sounds like a user problem and not the products ;)

I'm using the same combo right now and didn't buy the case for protection, but to have the thinnest slider on the market.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Not trying to be an ass but exactly what kind of protection did you expect? Plus unless you're 3 feet tall a waist high fall is
pretty substancial considering it's a glass and plastic product. Don't see how it's the cases/screen cover's fault. Apple is going to tell you the same thing they tell every other person that comes in with a busted screen.... $199 replacement fee please.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
FAIL?

Sounds like a user problem and not the products ;)

I'm using the same combo right now and didn't buy the case for protection, but to have the thinnest slider on the market.

Unless you don't like the look of the bare iphone this seems pointless to me. I bought the case to protect the phone and because i liked the idea of a clip holster. What would be great IMO would be apple making their own cases similar to blackberry with a magnet to force sleep mode.

I also think a plexi glass type of screen would be swell.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
If you take photos of the back of your Seidio, we will be able to tell if your case is genuine or one of the counterfeits floating around.

I have always told my friends that iPhone is fantastic in all areas except being a phone. Some old Nokias could drop, drop drop drop, and still switch on and work after being left uncharged for a year.

iPhone is really a sophisticated piece of equipment that can't really be dropped.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
If you take photos of the back of your Seidio, we will be able to tell if your case is genuine or one of the counterfeits floating around.

I have always told my friends that iPhone is fantastic in all areas except being a phone. Some old Nokias could drop, drop drop drop, and still switch on and work after being left uncharged for a year.

iPhone is really a sophisticated piece of equipment that can't really be dropped.

I'll take pics of the Seidio but I'm pretty sure it isn't counterfit because I bought it from Seidio. I have had a mobile phone ever sonce the Motorola DPC 550. they were all built like tanks and could be thrown and dropped around. No where near as entertaining as the iphone however :p

I ended up getting a new replacement at the apple store for $229. Not a bad deal when you consider how much the phone is subsidized. While I was there I picked up a Speck CandyShell. Hopefully with it's rubber on the inside, this will do a better job then the Seidio.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I'll take pics of the Seidio but I'm pretty sure it isn't counterfit because I bought it from Seidio. I have had a mobile phone ever sonce the Motorola DPC 550. they were all built like tanks and could be thrown and dropped around. No where near as entertaining as the iphone however :p

You know what the difference between those phones and the iPhone is? None of them has a glass screen. Glass breaks. The iPhone's screen will break if it falls the wrong way. On the other hand a glass screen doesn't scratch as easily.

I ended up getting a new replacement at the apple store for $229. Not a bad deal when you consider how much the phone is subsidized. While I was there I picked up a Speck CandyShell. Hopefully with it's rubber on the inside, this will do a better job then the Seidio.

You dropped your iPhone and the screen broke. You think a case with rubber ON THE BACK is going to protect the screen from breaking again if it drops?

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
You know what the difference between those phones and the iPhone is? None of them has a glass screen. Glass breaks. The iPhone's screen will break if it falls the wrong way. On the other hand a glass screen doesn't scratch as easily.

Wow.. I had no idea :p

You dropped your iPhone and the screen broke. You think a case with rubber ON THE BACK is going to protect the screen from breaking again if it drops?

It's got a rubber lip on the front also and yes thats the idea. I'm also using it with a leather clip pouch I had from my old iphone

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
It's got a rubber lip on the front also and yes thats the idea. I'm also using it with a leather clip pouch I had from my old iphone

Again, the rubber inside won't do a thing to protect the screen if the iPhone falls to the ground face down. The only thing that kinda protects the screen in cases is when a case has the front slightly raised, so that if the iPhone falls face down the screen never actually touches the ground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.