Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I've noticed a small line developing at the top edge of my MacBook Pro's screen, barely longer than an inch from the top.

Now, is this a crack? I'm only asking because as I pick up my MBP and turn it side to side, the object seems to move with the behavior that it's behind the screen. For instance, when I turn it, I see it moving relative to the letters on the screen to my viewing angle.

Also, looking at it from the side (about a 70º angle) it's invisible.

I've read that some people have had hair caught in between their screen and backlight. If this is my case, how on earth do I go about removing this annoying thing?

If it's a crack, guess I'm SOL. 2007 MBP with no warranty. :(

crack.jpg

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Well it's not actually moving, it just appears to shift relative to text on the screen, like it's behind the LCD.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I think it's a hair. A crack wouldn't curve like that. Also it's probably sitting against the outer screen layer which is actually slightly above the surface of the LCD itself, thus you can see some relative movement of the hair when you twist it around.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
So is it possible to separate the LCD panel from the backlight? When I replaced the screen in a friends MB, they were together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.