PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide

BalladBeach24
Jul 18, 2002, 12:10 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and in all honesty, I'm new to the Mac. I'm working at CompUSA, and have the chance to buy a TiBook 400mhz. However, it has a cracked screen. We can add a new screen to it, that's not a problem. My question is, how much should I offer them for the PowerBook???? It's new, but, like I said, has the cracked screen. Let me know what you think. It'd be greatly appreciated!

Brian

P.S. I don't even know if this question is even in the right part of the forum. If it isn't, I apologize. Like I said, I'm totally new to this forum, and the Mac.

tuccic
Jul 18, 2002, 02:36 PM
The screen is an expensive repair on top of a purchase, will the repair be covered? Keep in mind that it is a 400 and with 64 MB of RAM, I recommend the RAM to be upgraded to at least 256 MB, depending on what you plan to do with the Laptop. If the the screen repair is included I would offer 1200.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 18, 2002, 02:42 PM
I'd be worried that more than the screen might be broke. What caused it to break? Is it covered under a warranty? There are a couple places on line that sell secondhand machines, you might want to check those out for prices.

Good luck.

D

BalladBeach24
Jul 18, 2002, 04:14 PM
I don't know what exactly what caused the broken screen. I found it in the room where we store the laptops, and it just had "damaged screen" on the box. I've only been there about 3 weeks, so don't know everything. I was told that AppleCare doesn't cover the broken screen, but the CompUSA warranty does. So, I'd have to wait about 30 days before they could even repair the screen under warranty. I can upgrade the RAM for about 100 bucks, if even that much. I'm planning on using the hell out of it... School, photography, music, movies, etc. Not much of a gamer, though.

Thanks for all the help so far. Any more would be greatly appreciated.

Duke, if you happen to know any of those sites you mentioned that have the secondhand machines, those, as well, would be appreciated.

Brian

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Jul 18, 2002, 04:24 PM
Try ask for $500... start there...but at 400mhz... I don't know....

menoinjun
Jul 18, 2002, 04:28 PM
First off...you can't really ask for good pricing at CompUSA. You probably wont get much off of it even though it has a broken screen.

Buy the compusa warrantee. NOT THE APPLE CARE. Trust me on this one. The CompUSA warrantee includes accidental screen damage, so buy it on the powerbook, then take the receipt straight over to the tech dept an have then fix your screen. In a week you will have a brand new laptop for a great price.

-Pete