Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Three days until Halo 3 ODST comes out. Who else has this ordered? I don't love Halo, but I'm sure I'll have tons of friends buying this, and firefight looks awesome, so it'll be worth it. I also love the HUD redesign, and the 2 new weapons. I'm just still disappointed that they are charging $60 for this, but hopefully the campaign and firefight are worth it.

And apparently IGN will post their ODST review sometime today. [source]

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm interested. But I was interested in Halo 2 and 3 before they came out and I never even bothered finishing either them. Terrible terrible games! But that's another thread for another day.
I keep hearing that it's more like Halo 1 than the other 2. Which I hope is true, but people said the same thing about Halo 3 and that ended up being just Halo 2 in HD.

Okay rant over :p. I'll definitely play it when my bro gets it.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm not interested but I would like to see whats it all about. I've watched some people play it on Justin.tv and they didn't have good words to say about it. I wonder how the gaming sites will score it....:rolleyes:

Bless

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm buying...its a great social game, lot of my friends play online. Not to mention, the time I got out of 1,2,3 was well worth the cost. Plus online four player co-op was great fun.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
So IGN gave it a 9.

But that was IGN, and this is a Halo game. So... ignore that meaningless number.

Hey, one question. In the multiplayer disk, do you play with the new HUD and have the 2 new weapons available. Or is it just exactly the same as Halo 3?

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Sounds like a solid game...looks like its going to average 8.5-9.0 which is great. One thing thats really bothering is how some of the sites are just downplaying the length but they wouldn't hesitate to push that in our face if it was another game...I guess reviewers have a soft spot for Halo:rolleyes:

I might check it out but I'm not much of a Halo fan since 2 and 3 sucked.

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I like the idea of health pickups, one of the problems I had with Halo was they casualised the s**t out of it. Years back in college we tried to set up a big Halo 1 game but someone dropped out, so my 12 year old n00b sister was able to pick up a controller and get a couple of kills. :D

The reviews I've read aren't helping the cause. They're all confused as to why this is a full priced product.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
The reviews I've read aren't helping the cause. They're all confused as to why this is a full priced product.

Maybe they are pissed of because it wasn't supposed to be a full game :p.

Joystiq put it together like this...
Campaign: $30
Firefight: $10 (maybe $15)
Halo 3 Online: $10 (more if you don't have Halo 3, or don't have any map packs)
Random stuff... $10.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/20/review-halo-3-odst/

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
One I will pass on. I've had enough of halo for now.

Though I still play some halo wars campaigns once in a blue moon.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
And as expected, IGN UK and AU gave fair reviews (compared to the IGN US review, which is always too high, for any game... especially Halo)

UK: 8.6

AU: 8.0

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
no more regenerative health?

going back to health capsules? thats soooooo 1996

its because only spartans have the energy shields, ODST soldiers have regenerative "Stamina" with health that gets knocked down after stamina is low.

I dont get why everyone has to hate on the Halo series, they have a GREAT storyline that was fun to follow through all the way to the "end".

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Looks good...and Toys "r" us is selling it with a 20 dollar gift card and ODST action figure. I'm sold....maybe I'll finally pick up Lego Star Wars(which would be free with the gift card)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I dont get why everyone has to hate on the Halo series, they have a GREAT storyline that was fun to follow through all the way to the "end".

It did? The first one grabbed me by the balls because of the (frankly) awesome setting, but they lost it after that. Earth, Arcs (arks?) and the ultimately cliched story kinda ruined it for me. As an isolated system out in space I think Halo 1 worked. They just took it too far.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Passing up on this one. I wasn't particularly impressed with Halo 3. I still love Halo 1 over all of them. Now they're just trying to milk the franchise. $60 for an expansion pack wannabe full game? C'mon MS, sooner or later people will realize what you're doing. Or they already do, but some people are still stupid enough to buy it because of hype. :p

Sorry, but I'm passing this one up, and getting Uncharted 2. I'm actually more interested in that and its multiplayer!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Passing up on this one. I wasn't particularly impressed with Halo 3. I still love Halo 1 over all of them. Now they're just trying to milk the franchise. $60 for an expansion pack wannabe full game? C'mon MS, sooner or later people will realize what you're doing. Or they already do, but some people are still stupid enough to buy it because of hype. :p

Sorry, but I'm passing this one up, and getting Uncharted 2. I'm actually more interested in that and its multiplayer!

I don't think it's a case of just M$ who can bleed a series dry. Plenty of successful IP's have done the same on all platforms. If anything EA are the true kings of that.

I'm sure for those who didn't pick up any of the Halo3 multiplayer stuff, then the asking price is justified (it packs a lot of hours of FUN multiplayer) but really I think they should have offered a full Halo3/ODST bundle for $60 and maybe just ODST with firefight for $19.99.

However I am sure this will sell like hot cakes whether or not we on this forum buy it or not.

Besides

It's not about the wow factor, it's about the fun factor. Isn't that what games are all about? :rolleyes:

;) And I'm sure there is a lot of fun for people in it too.......

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
It did? The first one grabbed me by the balls because of the (frankly) awesome setting, but they lost it after that. Earth, Arcs (arks?) and the ultimately cliched story kinda ruined it for me. As an isolated system out in space I think Halo 1 worked. They just took it too far.

I agree with you. I bought the original Xbox solely to play Halo and it was £400 well spent. I played Halo a ridiculous amount and never tired of it.

Halo 2 left me cold (why would I want to play as an bloody alien when I've just been fighting them?) and I deserted it unfinished.

I played Halo 3 through to its end once (a return to form but still not as stellar as the original) before trading it in for something else.

Having said all that, I'll probably end up buying the new Halo anyway! :eek:

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
People hate on Halo because Halo fanboys are an easy target to troll, and because of the way fanboys deify it.

Halo faced a problem that a lot of Sci Fi (or fantasy in general) faces:
1 You hint at an epic story or event or race, but keep it shrouded in mystery.
2 People love theorizing about the origins or what happens next.
3 Sequel fails to live up to impossible standard set by fans.

Halo 2 & 3 couldn't compare to the first one imo because the mysterious setting of Halo 1 was fresh. In two it's like, "okay defending earth, done that before, back on Halo, like in 1."

I never played through 3.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I thought it was a great storyline, in fact, its the only game series that has ever held my attention. I can watch my friends play through games like the newest star wars one (great story) and the Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (again, awesome story to watch unfold) but other games just don't do it for me.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
People hate on Halo because Halo fanboys are an easy target to troll, and because of the way fanboys deify it.

Halo faced a problem that a lot of Sci Fi (or fantasy in general) faces:
1 You hint at an epic story or event or race, but keep it shrouded in mystery.
2 People love theorizing about the origins or what happens next.
3 Sequel fails to live up to impossible standard set by fans.

Halo 2 & 3 couldn't compare to the first one imo because the mysterious setting of Halo 1 was fresh. In two it's like, "okay defending earth, done that before, back on Halo, like in 1."

I never played through 3.

Not even considering the story though, Halo 2 wasn't as good as Halo 1.... it seemed rushed and unfinished, and just didnt feel as tight or fun as the first one.

Ive never followed the story in many games.... they are mostly awful, and I just switch off.
I've played through all 3 halo games, and I have literally no idea what happened.... I'm not even interested.....

they each filled up some hours of my life shooting things, so i cant complain

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Halo sounds a lot like the Matrix movies. The first one by itself was a masterpiece. The two sequels were turds, but still found some fans. :)

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
The game shipped late last night and it's coming today! Also ordered Gran Turismo PSP with my Amazon credit from the game for $23.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well despite myself, I ended up getting it today with need for speed:shift too.

Haven't had chance to play it yet though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.