iGav
Jul 9, 2004, 01:45 PM
507bhp
5 Litre
V10

155mph(limited) 205mph de-restricted
0-60 = 4.7 seconds
0-155mph = 14.9 seconds

Does a lap of the 'Ring in 8 minutes flat.

Oooooh, and the most pointless of features on a car EVER... 'A Power Button' :p

On start up, the car defaults into 'P400' mode, which only gives you access to 400bhp, press the 'Power Button' and you unleash the other 107bhp in what's termed 'P500' mode :rolleyes: didn't that Corvette thing have a similar kind of silly device as well?? :eek: :p waste of f**kin' time that.

That's some impressive specs, especially the 0-155 time... :D abit sluggish to 60 though. :eek: :p

Still... can't wait to see what Ingolstadt come up with to bury this one. ;)

http://www.autocarmag.com/news_article.asp?na_id=209244

patrick0brien
Jul 9, 2004, 02:59 PM
507bhp
5 Litre
V10

155mph(limited) 205mph de-restricted
0-60 = 4.7 seconds
0-155mph = 14.9 seconds

Does a lap of the 'Ring in 8 minutes flat.

Oooooh, and the most pointless of features on a car EVER... 'A Power Button' :p

On start up, the car defaults into 'P400' mode, which only gives you access to 400bhp, press the 'Power Button' and you unleash the other 107bhp in what's termed 'P500' mode :rolleyes: didn't that Corvette thing have a similar kind of silly device as well?? :eek: :p waste of f**kin' time that.

That's some impressive specs, especially the 0-155 time... :D abit sluggish to 60 though. :eek: :p

-iGAV

I didn't see a price in your post. "One BIIIIIllion dollars!!" - Dr. Evil

gwuMACaddict
Jul 9, 2004, 03:25 PM
*drool*

something hott about a car that fast with a trunk that could fit 4 large travel bags

RugoseCone
Jul 9, 2004, 03:48 PM

Blech. I'd buy an S4 on looks over the M5 anyday! Now if only I could convince my wife we NEED to trade in the A4....

evoluzione
Jul 9, 2004, 05:26 PM
Mmmmmmmm yeah baby

is it wrong to get this excited over a car?? :eek:

i want one.

that is some impressive specs, the old M5 was pretty much perfect though, wonder if this will again redefine that word....

patrick0brien
Jul 9, 2004, 06:20 PM
Zero to 100km/h in only 12 liters!

cheekyspanky
Jul 9, 2004, 06:40 PM
All for just 58,000 ($107,868)

Apparantly without the speed limiter, it will do a massive 205mph :eek:

virividox
Jul 9, 2004, 08:35 PM
okay let me just use my kids college fund

jimsowden
Jul 9, 2004, 10:03 PM
All for just 58,000 ($107,868)

Apparantly without the speed limiter, it will do a massive 205mph :eek:
More like 96,5

cheekyspanky
Jul 9, 2004, 10:11 PM
I used www.xe.com/ucc for the exchange price, if it's wrong...well, blame them!

58,000.00 GBP = 107,868.40 USD

1 GBP = 1.85980 USD, 1 USD = 0.537692 GBP

jimsowden
Jul 9, 2004, 10:19 PM
I updated OS X calculator, so I'm guessing I'm right, but who knows these days?

iJon
Jul 9, 2004, 10:37 PM
I updated OS X calculator, so I'm guessing I'm right, but who knows these days?
its 107 so you are right. i used watson which is updated accordingly.

iJon

zakee00
Jul 10, 2004, 02:22 AM
there was no previous m5 was there? my cousin has an m3, and i thought the m5 was the sequal or something...man, the m3 was crazy...now this? i want one :D

iGav
Jul 10, 2004, 02:27 AM
there was no previous m5 was there?

there's been 3 previous M5 models... ;)

the one figure I'm still blown away by is the 0-155... :eek:

edesignuk
Jul 10, 2004, 04:33 AM
I've always loved the M5, it just keeps getting better! :cool: http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif

iGav
Jul 10, 2004, 05:59 AM
I've always loved the M5, it just keeps getting better! :cool: http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif

I've always preferred the M5 to the M3... more class. ;)

The thing I really want to know is how it handles with a V10 over the front wheels, I wonder if BMW have managed to sort the nose heavy characteristics of such a layout?

I still prefer the RS6 Avant to the M5 though... I think I'd still take the current 480bhp Limited RS6 over the latest M5 ;) I can't wait to see what Ingolstadt release to whoop the M5, they usually gain anything upto 60-80bhp over the M5 when they release the RS6. :D

WinterMute
Jul 10, 2004, 06:24 AM
The old M5 was a bit of a sod in the corners, it really didn't handle as well as the RS6 does, so I'll be as interested as iGav to see how they've handled the power.

At 58K it ought to be awesome, but I'll still buy almost anything before I'll buy a BMW, I'm a bigot OK?

I really don't like BMW's styling at the moment, the 6 looks like they forgot to finish the rear, and the new 7 is a dog, if they do the same with the 3 then it's all over bar the shouting.... :D

cheekyspanky
Jul 10, 2004, 11:39 AM
Am I the only one that really likes the 5 and 6 Series? I'm not keen on the 1-Series (I saw one pass my house the other day..are they on sale yet?). I even quite like the 7 Series!

I like the Renault Megane as well - which none of my family of friends like either..!

I guess some cars are like Marmite - You either love it or you hate it!

iGav
Jul 11, 2004, 10:31 AM
Am I the only one that really likes the 5 and 6 Series? I'm not keen on the 1-Series (I saw one pass my house the other day..are they on sale yet?). I even quite like the 7 Series!

Nah... I love what Bangle has done for BMW... ;) in a way they had no choice, the Japanese were ripping both Mercedes and themselves off to such an extent that BMW needed to do something to distance their product from it's competitors if they were to remain unique. And that is what they've done. ;)

I love the 7 Series, and IMHO the 5 Series is an evolution and more resolved execution of that design language. The 6 isn't an especially bad looking car, neither is the 1 Series (almost Alfa Romeo original in its quirkyness), I dislike the current 3, but that's because it is, and always has been (this current model) a boring, boring design with little flair or originality. I still prefer Audi's though. ;)

The only concern I maybe have with Bangles 'Flame Surfacing', is that it could date extremely quickly... radical designs tend to do that, and I'm not entirely sure that the design language is, or displays the qualities of classic design. Only time will tell in this regard.

I'm still in awe of it's supposed 0-155 time, I'm beginning to think that this maybe is a mistake... even though the 480bhp Twin Turbo RS6 Plus gives away 27bhp (really not that much) and is only marginally heavier, it also has more torque and the advantage of AWD of the line (with upto a .4+) advantage up to 60, I find it hard to understand how it takes the RS6 Plus 17.3 to hit 124mph, yet the BMW hits 155 in 14.9??? something abit dodge there me thinks. :eek:

iGav
Jul 11, 2004, 10:40 AM
The old M5 was a bit of a sod in the corners, it really didn't handle as well as the RS6 does, so I'll be as interested as iGav to see how they've handled the power.

The one thing that blew my mind about the RS6 is the way you can just plant the throttle out of the corner and the car just grips, and takes off. :eek: nothing I've ever been in (road legal that is) has compared with that ability (even the F40) it really is point and go... no wheelspin nothing... it sucks up the horizon and spits it out of the rear. INCREDIBLE :D

I'm interested in seeing how the motoring press review the M5 V10, they frequently complain about the nose heavy layout of the S4 and RS6 (and they're both Quattro) so when the M3/M4 turns V8 and they test the current V10, it'll very interesting to see if they bash one out over the layout and how great it is etc etc in their usual moist pants way! :eek: :rolleyes:

I always get the impression that abit of snobbery comes into play when it comes to BMW Vs Audi... :rolleyes:

takao
Jul 11, 2004, 12:34 PM
The one thing that blew my mind about the RS6 is the way you can just plant the throttle out of the corner and the car just grips, and takes off. :eek: nothing I've ever been in (road legal that is) has compared with that ability (even the F40) it really is point and go... no wheelspin nothing... it sucks up the horizon and spits it out of the rear. INCREDIBLE :D

reminds me of the RS6 review in the austrian "autorevue"

"100 HP is normal nowadays, 150 HP was much 15 years ago, 250 HP means increased payments after a divorce, 350 HP definetly means 'sportcar',450 HP is like a fat man falling into your tent..."
;)

i don't see an increasing rivality between audi and bmw....here the old rivality between mercedes and bmw is still normal ;)

at the moment BMW is at the difficult point..here (austria,germany,swiss)they are having _massive_ image/prestige problems which is dangerous for a company who hasn't a strong 'backup' (mercedes is still the biggest truck etc. seller here)
the design of hte 5er and 7er got torn apart in the german press (not even mentioning the iDrive system) and Mercedes+Audi and foreign car manufactures have never been so strong in the high class segment

iGav
Jul 13, 2004, 09:30 AM
okay then... more regarding the 0-155 time and it being more than a little suss for the new M5.

A Mercedes CL65 AMG has 612bhp (105bhp more) and almost double the torque of the M5 at 738lb ft yet only dispatches 124mph in 13 seconds.

So 14.9 to 155mph has to be a misprint, 125mph maybe??

Thoughts??

plus_c
Jul 13, 2004, 09:43 AM
I'd love to see the new M5 and how it performs. I'm still an Audi fan though, so I'd have to say that I'd still take the RS6.

M5 wagon anybody? I think that'd be really cool.

iGav
Jul 13, 2004, 09:57 AM
M5 wagon anybody? I think that'd be really cool.

They're supposed to be producing one, because of the huge success of Audi's Avant range. The Merc E55 also comes in an estate version too, so BMW probably realise the amount of sales they're losing.

craigdawg
Jul 13, 2004, 04:49 PM
Wait a second...SMG is the only tranny option?

mooshoo
Jul 13, 2004, 05:03 PM
I've seen the 03 RS6 on the track in Portland, Oregon. It's a great car. It just dominates on the straightaways, but I would always leave it in the tighter, more technical turns. But then again, keep in mind I'm in a 996TT, so the playing field is a little more level. This was also before I started modding the engine. 420 HP of mine vs 450 HP of his. The 30 additional hp was pretty insignificant, considering he's so much heavier than me. On the straight sections though he looked like he was gaining, but I'm not sure. Things get kinda blurry at speed :D

Never Follow....

dbauer
Jul 13, 2004, 05:39 PM
I'll put my BMW R1150R against this car (and my bike is slow compared to a jap bike). I'll beat him to 60mph, not sure about 155mph cause if I did that in the US, I'd be typing this from jail so its pretty useless to drool about. Oh and I get to pocket the other $98,000 since I only paid $9500 for my bike.

If all you want is speed, why are you wasting time with cars? :rolleyes:

iGav
Jul 14, 2004, 05:32 AM
Wait a second...SMG is the only tranny option?

I doubt that they'd offer only the SMG option... that said though, if semi-auto's are good enough for F1 cars, WRC's and Ferrari's Enzo, then it's good enough for a 5 Series BMW heheheheheh.

iGav
Jul 14, 2004, 05:54 AM

But it's not just about speed is it. :rolleyes: ;)

But then again Superbikes ain't always the quickest on the road. Try taking a Superbike, on a wet, greasy and stone ridden, tight and twist country lane... (my preferred driving conditions) and a Superbike ain't gonna get anywhere near say a 911 Turbo, Evolution 8 MR or Spec-C... ;)

I don't see having a car which is capable of carrying 4 people in luxury, a boatload of bootleg from Calais, is useable everyday 356 days of the year and on the days when I'm feeling frisky can play ball with Ferrari's, Porsche's and Lamborghini's as a waste of time. ;)

What I'm trying to say is that people get satisfaction in different ways and by different means, and speed isn't necessarily always the main factor and that other abilities and capabilities can be important. :)

P.S. Nice bike by the way. ;)

m.r.m.
Jul 14, 2004, 06:04 AM
just wait for the next audi rs6! :eek: :D

iGav
Jul 14, 2004, 07:25 AM
just wait for the next audi rs6! :eek: :D

Exactly... ;) info is sketchy on this car, but I've heard everything from a higher output Twin Turbo V8 to a Lamborghini V10 being shoehorned under the bonnet. :D

And it's a cracking looking car as well. :D

BakedBeans
Jul 14, 2004, 07:40 AM

put the cream of each on a track... car will win by far....

its a fact.....

plus about the prics...it probably wont be a straight convertion, brits will be ripped of like they always are with there cars....

MrCommunistGen
Sep 12, 2004, 02:08 PM
useable everyday 356 days of the year

so its unusable for 9 days a year? ;) I know its a typo, I just thought it sounded funny as part of your argument :D

Counterfit
Sep 12, 2004, 06:50 PM
Hey iGav, when you get invited to drive this, gimme a call okay? I wanna come with you :D

homerjward
Sep 12, 2004, 07:55 PM
meh

bmw's over-rated except for the MINI
:eek: :p :D :cool: :) :D :D :cool: :cool: and ipod integration. give me a S600. V12 and it seats six and keyless go. gets beat by the m5 on horses though

junior
Sep 12, 2004, 09:21 PM
Nah... I love what Bangle has done for BMW... ;) in a way they had no choice, the Jap's were ripping both Mercedes and themselves off to such an extent that BMW needed to do something to distance their product from it's competitors if they were to remain unique. And that is what they've done. ;)

I love the 7 Series, and IMHO the 5 Series is an evolution and more resolved execution of that design language. The 6 isn't an especially bad looking car, neither is the 1 Series (almost Alfa Romeo original in its quirkyness), I dislike the current 3, but that's because it is, and always has been (this current model) a boring, boring design with little flair or originality. I still prefer Audi's though. ;)

The only concern I maybe have with Bangles 'Flame Surfacing', is that it could date extremely quickly... radical designs tend to do that, and I'm not entirely sure that the design language is, or displays the qualities of classic design. Only time will tell in this regard.

I'm still in awe of it's supposed 0-155 time, I'm beginning to think that this maybe is a mistake... even though the 480bhp Twin Turbo RS6 Plus gives away 27bhp (really not that much) and is only marginally heavier, it also has more torque and the advantage of AWD of the line (with upto a .4+) advantage up to 60, I find it hard to understand how it takes the RS6 Plus 17.3 to hit 124mph, yet the BMW hits 155 in 14.9??? something abit dodge there me thinks. :eek:

Just checked BMW's site. You're right, it's not 155mph. They state 200kph, which is 124mph.
Still very impressive I think!
BTW, I'm pretty sure you're doing it without knowing, but calling Japanese people 'Japs' is the equivelent to calling Pakistanis 'Pakis' and is considered offensive. As these forums are used by people from all over the world, I just thought I'd let you know. :)
My father has the current (I suppose previous now) M5 and I absolutely love it. I don't think the handling is quite as bad as some people make it out to be, but then again I've never been in a RS6 do what do I know... :o

homerjward
Sep 12, 2004, 11:29 PM
Exactly... ;) I've heard everything from a higher output Twin Turbo V8 to a Lamborghini V10 being shoehorned under the bonnet. :D
:D
so that's what yall call a hood...learn something new everyday lol