Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saccivic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
Hi everyone,

Ok...I just bought a powerbook last week, but I am new to the whole mac world. This is my first mac but I had a question. Please excuse me if it is dumb. Under "So and So's Computer", there are two things listed: Mac HDD and Network. However, Network does not have an icon and I was wondering what this was used for? Can it be deleted? It says it is only readable and it takes up 0k. I have a Network icon on my sidebar which i do use to access my netork, however, the one listed under "so and so's computer" does not do anything when I click on it. Can I get rid of this? Thanks.

Derrick

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
saccivic said:
Hi everyone,

Ok...I just bought a powerbook last week, but I am new to the whole mac world. This is my first mac but I had a question. Please excuse me if it is dumb. Under "So and So's Computer", there are two things listed: Mac HDD and Network. However, Network does not have an icon and I was wondering what this was used for? Can it be deleted? It says it is only readable and it takes up 0k. I have a Network icon on my sidebar which i do use to access my netork, however, the one listed under "so and so's computer" does not do anything when I click on it. Can I get rid of this? Thanks.

Derrick
That network is the same thing as the one in your sidebar, and no, you can't get rid of it. I would repair permissions (go into Disk Utility, select your HD, and click Repair Permissions), then log out and back in - see if that helps.

saccivic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
Thanks you very much for your help...can anyone tell me if their Network's Date Modified was Dec 31, 1903, 4:00PM, Zero KB? I find this so bizarre...thanks again wizard.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
mine is zero kb big also but wasn't modified on the weird date you said, mine has never been created ormodified. it simply has a -- sign next to each, showing that it has never been modified. hope i helped! :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
stevehaslip said:
mine is zero kb big also but wasn't modified on the weird date you said, mine has never been created ormodified. it simply has a -- sign next to each, showing that it has never been modified. hope i helped! :)
Same here - my network has -- by created and modified.

gdl96

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
new jersey
Similar problem:

I just got my Powerbook a few days ago. In Finder, on the left, under "Macintonsh HD", there was an icon for "Network". I decided I wanted that on my desktop, so I dragged it there, and POOF, it was gone. Is there anyway to get it back?

Sorry bout the dumb question...I just switched from windows. =P

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
gdl96 said:
Similar problem:

I just got my Powerbook a few days ago. In Finder, on the left, under "Macintonsh HD", there was an icon for "Network". I decided I wanted that on my desktop, so I dragged it there, and POOF, it was gone. Is there anyway to get it back?

The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

Welcome aboard.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
gdl96 said:
Similar problem:

In Finder, go up to Finder... Preferences. Click on Sidebar, and check Network.

Lee Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.