PDA

View Full Version : Mirror External Monitor Problems (Emac)

KiwiLee
Sep 21, 2009, 03:06 AM
I have an old Emac but one of the later models..
(17" 1.42ghz G4, 1gb Ram,Superdrive, ATI)

My display has started to go i think as i know many Emacs do, so i thought we have plenty spare 19" LCDs at work i can put it in front and use a "mirrored" display as i read elsewhere.

But an odd thing is happening...

When i plug in my *Mini-VGA to VGA* adapter with the LCD connected (BUT Turned off) the Emac display flashes and changes resolution down to 800x600 and the display preferences pop up with a new window saying "VGA". And if i look in my taskbar icon it shows the two displays [Emac] and [VGA] with settings for each to choose from.

The odd thing is.... If i then turn on the LCD now the Emac display flashes again and reverts back to 1024x768 and the LCD remains blank even though its now on? In the taskbar and display preferences it now ONLY shows the one display [Emac], The LCD now no longer exists to the Mac at all yet it weirdly did before i even turned it on?

Whats going on, any ideas anyone? Do i have a duff adapter? A duff port? I have tested the LCD and even tried a 2nd LCD they both work all fine on a PC. I just dont understand why the Mac says "hey, found an external VGA monitor" when its connected but turned off, and yet when i turn it on to use, is goes away again? :(:(

EDIT: I also reset the PRAM and NVRAM in Open Firmware just in case, no effect.

Thanks

PS: No sadly i cant buy a better Mac, not just yet anyhow..

hughvane
Oct 30, 2009, 12:35 AM
Wow Lee, you've waited an eternity for a reply to this, so I hope you've either found a solution, or that this may help.

Try adjusting settings via System Preferences rather than anything else, and yes, do try a different connecting cable.

Next: this is pure gut feeling ... switch the monitor on before booting your eMac.

Have you tried using a CRT monitor from your eMac? Old technology I know, but there are still people who prefer the crisp imaging of CRT.

Good luck!