Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
How'd the iSight attatch to the eMac? On top seems, tacky. With the cable coming off the side like it would. Is there any desktop stand? Thanks for the input.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
on top would probably be your best bet if you want eye-level video. The cord would have to go down to one side in the back, but it would be better than having the camer set on your desk and be set to see the side of your face or anything like that..

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
I was thinking a stand that would be eye level, and only slightly off to the side. IMHO it would look better that way unless you were doing that "you plus three" in which everyone would need to be centred for the effect. :)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
iChat Tips

Placing iSight on the top of an eMac isn't so bad. The cable goes directly in the back and then at the bottom of the eMac you can wrap it to the side to connect.

If you place iSight at the top and then when you do your chat, place the window to the top of the monitor. Next get farther back until you can be looking at the camera and see the other person. I found that if you get too close then it looks like you are looking down when you are talking to the other person. The alternative would be to just look at the camera directly and ignore the monitor but that's no good for you.

I found that iChat works good when I am in the kitchen cooking dinner or standing or sitting in my living room when using my iBook. I make it full screen and can talk to the other person like I would if they were sitting in a chair in my house. The speaker phone works great, just don't hook it up to some loud speakers otherwise you will have some echo problems. Also fluorescent lamps work best for lighting because bulb lamps seem to bright and no lamps make the video too dark. iChat works great over a wireless network when you are outside in the sun near your base station too. With headphones, I have seen someone use iChat AV in a public library. They would use the keyboard while the other person would just talk normally. I like Apple focused on chat rather than add all those extras like weather, ads, traffic, and stocks in the chat client. It makes the program too busy on Windows.

I am looking forward to iChat AV on Tiger with it's improved video chats. I wish there was a good Windows chat client that worked well with it. AIM is terrible.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
Thanks BornAgainMac for your info about it. I happened to notice what you spoke of in an applestore, and I agree, it does look fairly, bad, when they're looking down instead of at the camera.

Next, does it use adhesive or sit there? I'd prefer it just "sit there" since I really suck at making sticky stuff straight.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
the8088er said:
Thanks BornAgainMac for your info about it. I happened to notice what you spoke of in an applestore, and I agree, it does look fairly, bad, when they're looking down instead of at the camera.

Next, does it use adhesive or sit there? I'd prefer it just "sit there" since I really suck at making sticky stuff straight.

Adhensive for the eMacs or CRT Mac, it's very hard to get it to stay if you don't have it stick on the monitor. I bought it for my Mom for her eMac. They give you three separate ways to hook it up to your Mac. It's best with a flat panel display because you just slide it over when you want to use it and share it with other Macs that you own. I was glad my iBook G3 600Mhz met the requirements for video chat. I have a G5 with a regular CRT and I prefer the iBook over the G5 because the mounting doesn't require that I stick it on to the monitor.

I suggest you find something to simulate a flat panel display next to the eMac.

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
i like using macmice's sightflex. it's a pretty good looking stand and i like how it lets me position the isight link

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
few more questions. Do you have to vigerously scrub at the adhesive to get it off? is it sturdy? thanks for the input. Oh, and does it provide extra adhesive pads in case I don't get it exactly centered or pointing straight the first time?

Thanks

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
the8088er said:
few more questions. Do you have to vigerously scrub at the adhesive to get it off? is it sturdy? thanks for the input. Oh, and does it provide extra adhesive pads in case I don't get it exactly centered or pointing straight the first time?

Thanks

Didn't have to scrub, the camera was sturdy, they just give you one pad. 12ibookg4 had the best solution to the iSight camera I have ever seen. Very nice.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
I am concidering the iSight solution from MacMouse, but a few more questions about apple's mounts. If you put the adhesive on a tiny bit crooked, does it swivel left/right or does it always point straight ahead?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the8088er said:
I am concidering the iSight solution from MacMouse, but a few more questions about apple's mounts. If you put the adhesive on a tiny bit crooked, does it swivel left/right or does it always point straight ahead?

the mounts themselves do not swivel, but on the bottom of the camera, where the firewire is connected the iSight can be swiveled or adjusted. there is not a whole lot in the range of motion allowed, but enough that the stand does not has to be perfect. if you can i would suggest going to an apple store or reseller to check out the cam yourself....that way you can phiscally see it and maybe they will have one on an emac so you can see how it works/if it works for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.