PDA

View Full Version : eMac $150 good price?

Cyclo0n
Sep 21, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hi everyone,

Im a proud mac user for over an year. I only have a MacBook but really want something like an iMac.

Now i found on the dutch version of eBay an eMac for $150 (100).
Is this a good price or do i have to continue sparing money for an other mac machine?

GoCubsGo
Sep 21, 2009, 07:53 AM
The eMac is not going to be a good buy if you intend to do much with it. It can barely run Leopard efficiently (some models) and it won't ever run Snow Leopard. You'll also find newer generations of iPods need something more as there was a report on this site that someone with an eMac can't seem to use their new Nano.

I say if you want to collect it then fine, but don't expect to do too much with it. I do believe it would make a nice computer for a kid.

iPhone 62S
Sep 21, 2009, 11:03 AM
What are the specs? The 1GHz+ ones are decent computers for net and e-mail sort of use, but you won't be doing anything massive.

AlexisV
Sep 21, 2009, 11:19 AM
I got my parents one for 67 / 74 / $108

So your price seems a bit high.

Sambo110
Sep 21, 2009, 12:40 PM
I sold one with a 1.25 ghz processor, 1 gig ram an 32 meg graphics card for $300 AU around 6 months ago.

iPhone 62S
Sep 21, 2009, 12:52 PM
I sold one with a 1.25 ghz processor, 1 gig ram an 32 meg graphics card for $300 AU around 6 months ago.

The guy you sold it to got a bad deal then, they're about half the price on eBay (though P&P is a whole other matter, but it still won't add up to anywhere close to $200).

thegoldenmackid
Sep 21, 2009, 12:57 PM
Someone bought a mint one for $10 at a yard sale the other day.

mrsir2009
Sep 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
eMacs are crappy. I used one, its slow, laggy, can't run Snow Leopard, lacks ipod/iphone connection abilities for the high end ipods. :(

Don't buy it, save for a better Mac!:D

leighonigar
Sep 21, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Im a proud mac user for over an year. I only have a MacBook but really want something like an iMac.

Now i found on the dutch version of eBay an eMac for $150 (100).
Is this a good price or do i have to continue sparing money for an other mac machine?

That price is a bit high, as everyone has said. As for suitability - what do you want it for?

iPhone 62S
Sep 21, 2009, 02:14 PM
eMacs are crappy. I used one, its slow, laggy, can't run Snow Leopard, lacks ipod/iphone connection abilities for the high end ipods. :(

Don't buy it, save for a better Mac!:D

That's BS, you can connect all iPhones and iPods to it as long as you have 10.4.11 installed, and most eMacs are perfectly capable of running Tiger.

MacHamster68
Sep 22, 2009, 04:48 AM
hello i payed for mine 142
a emac g4 1.42 ghz ,1gb ram and 64 mb grafic
and it does everything better /faster then my old
dell with p4 ht 3.0ghz ,2gb ram , and 256mb grafic
and i dont mean surfing the web , i do grafic rendering and things which realy push any pc to its limits and the emac copes with everything
its a fantastic pc and it looks far better then all these flat things
and thank god has no intel processor and no windows

long live the emac :apple:

brendu
Sep 22, 2009, 10:11 PM
what are the specs? i had a 1ghz 1 gig ram model and it worked fine, ran leopard fine, only problem with it was it did not have usb2.0 so after iPods stopped supporting firewire it was slow transferring.. but all in all it looked and worked great.. for web browsing, itunes, and email there is no reason thats a bad deal... the screen on the emac is beautiful. the price is not too bad as long as its a 1ghz or faster processor and i would hope it has 1gb of ram but you could always upgrade that its really easy.

MacHamster68
Sep 23, 2009, 06:22 AM
indeed uprgrading the ram is a simple effective solution for any mac actually

but the speed you need depends really on what you want to do with it
for office tasks word ,exel and such things or surfing the web and watching dvd`(combo or superdrive required) the 700mhz ones will do the job perfectly allright , just upgrade
the ram to max and upgrade to osx 10.4.11(tiger) or
10.5 leopard (some say its better others still prefer tiger )

10.6 snow leopard is not a option as it does only support intel mac`s

GoCubsGo
Sep 23, 2009, 06:24 AM
That's BS, you can connect all iPhones and iPods to it as long as you have 10.4.11 installed, and most eMacs are perfectly capable of running Tiger.

Actually it's not. Someone on these boards cannot connect their nano to their eMac. It has happened, whether it was fluke or not is another story.

iPhone 62S
Sep 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
Actually it's not. Someone on these boards cannot connect their nano to their eMac. It has happened, whether it was fluke or not is another story.

One eMac having problems connecting with a iPod does not equal all eMacs not supporting all new iPods and iPhones though.

I got a 3GS recently and on the box it says it needs 10.4.11 and USB 2.0, meaning even the top of the range iPhone will work with a eMac (though admitidly it wouldn't work with the early eMacs with USB 1.1).

EDIT: I stand corrected on the USB 1.1 thing! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500189) So iPods and iPhones do work with early eMacs.