PDA

View Full Version : RAM

MikeLaRiviere
Jul 10, 2004, 01:20 AM
I'm just curious about how important the brand of RAM is. I found a compatible stick for my current generation PB 12" made by Transcend, a company I had not heard of previously. The RAM, of course, cost far less than if I had bought it through Apple. The Transcend stick comes with a lifetime warranty, but I realize that RAM quality is important. People seem to like Corsair and Crucial; obviously this is branded and warranted RAM, but I'm just wondering if it is providing me with optimal system performance.

Any thoughts?

Mike LaRiviere

stoid
Jul 10, 2004, 01:23 AM
I bought Transcend RAM that was not 'suggested' for use with Apple computers because it was an exceptional bargain. I got screwed big time for that mistake. It would have been better for me to spend the extra $15 per chip to get the 'suggested' type. E-mail Transcend and ask them if the stick is compatible with Apple computers before you purchase.

raynegus
Jul 10, 2004, 02:12 AM
Brand definitely matters. You can experience poor performance with cheap RAM (crashes, hangs, etc).

Crucial is a good choice. I wouldn't go any cheaper, imho.

MikeLaRiviere
Jul 10, 2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks. Ironically, I just experienced a kernel panic. I'll contact the seller and try to get things straightened out. Is there anything I should know about Crucial, i.e., if they have a "value" brand that I should avoid?

Mike LaRiviere

MikeLaRiviere
Jul 11, 2004, 12:08 PM
Any recommendation on brand? The merchant, Chief Value, is allowing me to return for refund the Transcend RAM. Is Crucial the best/most reliable brand I can get?

Mike LaRiviere

Finiksa
Jul 11, 2004, 12:15 PM
Is Crucial the best/most reliable brand I can get?

Crucial is the retail division of Micron, one of the largest RAM manufacturers in the world. So basically, yes it's pretty much the best you can get and at very reasonable prices.

edesignuk
Jul 11, 2004, 12:15 PM
Go with Crucial, you can't go wrong, use their memory selector to make sure you get the right stuff for your machine and you wont have a problem. Half the people here have bought memory upgrades from Crucial.

MikeLaRiviere
Jul 11, 2004, 12:36 PM
I appreciate the responses. I've had three or four kernel panics now, on a few-weeks-old computer. Is the Transcend RAM the culprit? I ran a hardware test, and everything checked out.

I'm going to get the Crucial RAM regardless. I'm just wondering if there is a problem with some other component, or if it is most likely the RAM.

Mike LaRiviere

Finiksa
Jul 11, 2004, 12:54 PM
I'm just wondering if there is a problem with some other component, or if it is most likely the RAM.

Bad RAM is the most likely cause of panics, though some external peripherals could cause them too. Try unplugging any peripherals, if the panics remain then remove the stick of RAM and run it for a while with just the built-in RAM.

If the panics stop then it's the RAM, if not then it's time for a visit to your local service centre, there isn't much more you can do.

MikeLaRiviere
Jul 11, 2004, 01:21 PM
Alright thanks.

Mike LaRiviere

edesignuk
Jul 11, 2004, 01:38 PM
I would stop putting your e-mail address at the bottom of your posts, that's just asking for SPAM :) The bots will pick it up and you'll be flooded! :rolleyes:

FuzzyBallz
Jul 11, 2004, 02:13 PM
Crucial is indeed the RAM of choice if you want the best w/o breaking the bank. There a lot of RAMs out there posing as "good and compatible" w/ Macs. Some people are lucky it works w/ their Macs, while others aren't so lucky. Why take the chance.

And if you're trying to fill up your mail box w/ spam, why not list your gmail instead.

MikeLaRiviere
Jul 11, 2004, 05:59 PM
Good call about the bots. When I put it down there, my (flawed) logic was that I could trust people not to spam me; I neglected to consider bots; which may be unfortunate as I've received no spam under my .Mac account as of yet.

Mike LaRiviere