Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shouldberunning

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
This one is going to sound a little weird.

While typing in anything i.e. this forum, text editor, word processors etc., my curser will suddenly jump back a paragraph or two.

I thought I was just hitting a wrong key or brushing the touchpad etc. so I wasn't very worried about it. But then today I had the strangest jump ever. I was editing the name of a folder and right in the middle of a word the curser jumped to another folder label and started overwriting it.

Now I don't even know how to do that intentionally so I have no idea how it could happen accidently.

I don't use an external keyboard much so I can't say as to wether or not it would happen with one.

MacBook White, OS X 10.5.8, 2.1 GHz

Thanks for any input.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It sounds like you're brushing the trackpad with your thumb. I have it happen quite often on my 17" ubMBP. I think they need to tweak the auto-ignore-while-typing algorithm - especially, since they've totally removed the control from the user (such as it was).

shouldberunning

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
It sounds like you're brushing the trackpad with your thumb. I have it happen quite often on my 17" ubMBP. I think they need to tweak the auto-ignore-while-typing algorithm - especially, since they've totally removed the control from the user (such as it was).

Hmm... interesting. Next time I have to write a letter or something lengthy I'll use my wireless Mighty Mouse and set my track pad to 'ignore while mouse present'.

Thanks for your input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.